Pistorius trial: cricket bat, toilet door shown in courtroom

Pistorius Door Shown in Court

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) - A South African forensic analyst has said at the Oscar Pistorius murder trial that a cricket bat was used to strike the toilet door at the athlete's home, in testimony focusing on the events of the night when Pistorius fatally shot his girlfriend.

Police Col. J. G. Vermeulen on Wednesday lifted the bat in court and showed where it hit the wooden, bullet-marked door, another key piece of evidence that was erected in the courtroom.

Pistorius has said he shot Steenkamp by mistake, fearing she was an intruder in the night, and then bashed the door open with a cricket bat to get to his girlfriend when he realized what had happened. The prosecution says the Feb. 14, 2013 killing was intentional and followed an argument between the couple.

jmowsky March 12 2014 at 6:09 AM

How do people fall so far when they've risen so high in their life? Too much fame, money, adulation? Was the bat used to get "in" the door before or after the shooting? Will the truth ever surface?

rileyalina jmowsky March 12 2014 at 6:16 AM

I agree.

Dick March 12 2014 at 9:19 AM

I can't figure out what she and others saw in this hot tempered problemed fellow. Why did he need to carry a gun anyway. Once a woman sees violence in a mans behavoir she needs to leave I don't get it

Chuck Dick March 12 2014 at 10:00 AM

he is 1) good looking 2) famous 3) in great shape and who knows what's he like in bed?

jwn7 Chuck March 12 2014 at 11:44 AM

yenta

Flag 0 rate up
kveinarthusus Dick March 12 2014 at 10:49 AM

He carried a gun because he lives in South Africa. It has one of the highest rates of gun homicide in the world.

Lisa A. Santos March 12 2014 at 9:47 AM

This guy is a basket case and should in no be allowed to walk around with a gun. They have reported numerous incidents where he was in possession of a gun and it went off whether an accident or because of his temper he is a danger to society! Didn't Steenkamp ever realize he had problems or was more interested in being in the limelight with him?? Sad story.

marymeade2 March 12 2014 at 9:47 AM

He's got a very short fuse. He knows he killed her. Why won't he just confess and get it over with?

CUSACitizen March 12 2014 at 10:08 AM

Some people just don't have any value for life, that of others and their own. How the he11 does he think... "Oh, there is an intruder I side my bathroom, I better shoot and ask questions later". Even if he thought there is an intruder in the bathroom, at that moment his life was not being threatened in any way shape or form. How about take the gun, and be ready for the "intruder" to step out of the bathroom, or better yet, scream a warning to the intruder before he comes out of the bathroom. Where did he think was his girlfriend, didn't he notice that she was not next to him? Guilty!

christinehbn CUSACitizen March 12 2014 at 11:19 AM

hey, CUSACITIZEN, that's the army's philosophy. Not followed enough though. I know a movie does not portray the realities of war, but if anyone has seen Zero Dark thirty, that "shoot first, ask questions later", could have saved a soldier's life if done. they told the foreigner to put down the cell phone many times before he finally set off the bomb. not really on topic, but I decided to comment anyway.

Margaret March 12 2014 at 10:23 AM

Please don't tell me he's going to get away with this because.................he's got money and fame.

tom March 12 2014 at 10:37 AM

MHO, he killed her in a fit of rage after a bad argument. She locked herself in the bathroom, and he couldn't get in, so he unloaded on her. After being arrested, he had to say SOMETHING, and that story is what he came up with. No, we don't believe you.

Shelley tom March 12 2014 at 11:08 AM

sorry tom - teresa wins (lol)

tcmgyh March 12 2014 at 10:47 AM

Have Your Say...That's why keeping a good profile is important. He didn't have a good one. He was hot tempered, very jealous you can see why she was very beautiful and although he had no legs it was probably hard for him to find a woman to deal with that so he was desperate to keep her . Many have said he was abusive to her (check the profile). I just think she ran in the bathroom out of fear and he turned into a monster because of his control issues (check the profile) and shot her I'm not sure if warned her that he was going to shoot the door knob area to break the lock because she would moved away from that area. It really doesn't matter his intention he killed her. Doesn't matter he best take his punishment on this earth than in the afterlife. He will pay that's for sure either here or there. So really nothing to worry about."Vengeance is Mine sayeth the Lord"

Xhapytrkr March 12 2014 at 10:52 AM

As a responsible gun owner. If I hear a noise at night. The first thing I'm going to do is reach over to see if my wife is next to me. Since there's only two of us hear and she's next to me then I would figure that there was an intruder. Now maybe if someone broke in they just might think that I had goodies stactched in the bathroom or they could have had to go potty.
If by any chance I fired my weapon and my wife snug in the room and left a blow up doll. : ) in bed trying to fool me. I'm pretty sure after the first shot she would yell What the &^(T&^ are you doing. He killed her plain and simple. quilty put his azz in jail and take away his blades. That's the only thing that has him upset and getting sick. He's afraid if he does go to jail he will be shorter then most prisoners.

Xhapytrkr Xhapytrkr March 12 2014 at 10:53 AM

here *
stashed* I see it's going to be one of those typo days : (

Xhapytrkr Xhapytrkr March 12 2014 at 10:54 AM

Amazing how after you hit send you see so many mistakes. LOL

Flag +1 rate up
Arizona Susan Xhapytrkr March 12 2014 at 11:31 AM

Happy trucker: I'm thinking that Pistorius "doesn't have a leg to stand on" in this murder trial~ LOL

Flag 0 rate up
Shelley Xhapytrkr March 12 2014 at 11:12 AM

whoops, another one xhapytrkr - snug (sneaked) is there a word snuck?? just curious.

estela92 March 13 2014 at 1:13 AM

I THINK MOST OF US AGREE HE DID IT.........LET'S SEE IF THERE IS JUSTICE IN SOUTH AFRICA OR WILL HE, BECAUSE OF HIS FAME, GET OFF WITH A SLAP ON HIS MUERDEROUS WRIST.....