Passengers save baby on plane

Passengers Help Save Baby During Emergency Landing
A US Airways flight traveling almost all the way across the country was forced to make an emergency landing after a baby on the flight stopped breathing.

Flight 678 out of Tampa was on its way to Phoenix, but as it was flying through Texas a baby reportedly started turning purple. Several passengers rushed to help as the plane landed in Houston.

KSPR
"They immediately went to work and called for anybody who had medical training. There are people that assisted and we were told there would be an emergency landing."

WFTV
"A man ran up and held the baby. He had the baby held, you know, upside down in his hands. The baby was purple."

(WTVT)
"Everybody was just invested and when we heard the baby cry, it was just, it was a teary moment for everybody."

No word yet on what caused the baby to cry but it is reportedly doing just fine. The flight arrived in Arizona about an hour late and none of the passengers seemed to mind.

Hi, Spike March 12 2014 at 11:58 AM

comment from bodilyc is correct. As a captain for a major international airline, it has been my experience that doctors and other medical professionals rarely, if ever, identify themselves unless a real emergency exists. The reason is that there are just too many people more than willing to file a lawsuit capriciously.

bodilyc Hi, Spike March 12 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thank you Captain Spike, you too are correct, often Dr's are very cautious to be involved, they would happily not be identified, however in a true medical ER, they absolutely do participate when asked.

Recon1 Hi, Spike March 12 2014 at 1:01 PM

My father, an Army doctor, faced the same problem at a concert. State law required doctors, and later nurses, who responded to an emergency to become the doctor or nurse of record responsible for the person until they recovered or passed away.That included liability.

Later the state where we lived wisely passed a law giving doctors limited protections and relieving them of being responsible once a patient was handed over to responding emergency personnel..

gilatinside March 12 2014 at 1:32 PM

it is great to see the people that care.. we usually only hear from news the people that do not.

polishparalt March 12 2014 at 1:29 PM

Dating myself, but when returning from a family trip to Disneyworld on ATA in '04 there was a medical emergency on board. After identifying myself as a FF/PM they took me to the subject and brought me all kinds of medical equipment. As it was, it turned out to be nothing so serious that could not wait until we arrived in Chicago where they we turned them over to CFD medics at the gate. The flight attendants we're so relieved. I asked them why the worry, with all that medical equipment and their required training. The answer I got was astounding. "Oh, we have the equipment and some training. We are just not allowed to use any of it by company policy and insurance reasons." Before debarking, one of the flight attendants said "The Captain wants to see you in the cockpit." I thought I was going to get a polite "Thank You!" which was all I would have wanted anyway. Ha! Far from it. He gruffly hands me a clip board and says "You need to fill out this incident report, and make it quick as we have to turn this plane around for departure...." It just goes to show, no good deed goes unpunished....and no surprise ATA went bankrupt either.......

Otter polishparalt March 12 2014 at 2:01 PM

I had the same experience as polishparalt on an American Airline flight. A young woman seated behind us apparently collapsed and when I responded, it was fairly easy to determine that she had most probably suffered a grand mal seizure. I asked for medical equipment in order to monitor her and the flight attendants brought it to me, but did not know how to use it. Co-pilot came back and asked if we needed to divert and when I found out we were only 20 minutes from our destination (and the patient was now conscious,) I told him that we could make it to Wichita, but that a priority landing would be appropriate. The young woman was off-loaded by paramedics the moment we landed and the rest of the passengers de-boarded the plane. A couple of the passengers thanked me, but no thanks from the woman's family, and the only response from the crew was to pass me the incident clipboard to fill out. I was just glad to have been able to help the woman out but admittedly, it would have been nice to get an "Atta Girl" from the flight crew.

Martin March 12 2014 at 1:21 PM

Why all civilians should all have CPR first aid training..shold be taught in highschool.

polishparalt Martin March 12 2014 at 1:34 PM

The public high school I attended had it as a requirement for junior year as part of health class. Everyone had to take it and pass it, and that was in back 1980....

ggadi March 12 2014 at 1:05 PM

Sounds to me like the baby was choking, turning them upside down, and presumably delivering three back-slaps, was apparently curative. Was the diversion necessary? It is a judgement call. Having responded more than 18 times to that overhead announcement, I am not concerned about lawsuits, diversion of the aircraft depends on the circumstances and severity of the medical problem.

plux ggadi March 12 2014 at 1:11 PM

I had that happen when my son was about 1 years old at home in the middle of the night. It was croup but very scary. I found out later once they turn blue they usually come out of it ok. I sat in the shower holding him the rest of the night with steam. Very scary!

patriot1too March 12 2014 at 2:11 PM

Thank God for that brave man. He was no doubt a great father who knows all about kids.

artorius317 March 12 2014 at 11:33 AM

To correct the people suggesting standard CPR classes, please know that performing CPR on a baby and performing CPR on an adult are two DIFFERENT methods. And thanks to the fellow humans that were able to save this child's life. You are heroes.

heveni artorius317 March 12 2014 at 1:45 PM

Infant, child and adult cpr is usually included in the course .

TAMI March 12 2014 at 11:15 AM

If you don't know CPR, please learn it. Its a few hour class and SOOOO worth learning!

Melissa ! March 12 2014 at 10:52 AM

thankfully the baby was okay

teabird March 12 2014 at 9:47 AM

G-d Bless the Man who took control

fay38 teabird March 12 2014 at 10:24 AM

It's GOD! Not G-D.

faithfulgalme teabird March 12 2014 at 10:46 AM

Question: Are you spelling "GOD" without the "O" for personal religious reasons? I know some people practice that. If not, let other people figure out that "GOD" is a good thing!

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal