Man with the golden voice still going strong, alcohol-free

You might remember the voice of a once-homeless man named Ted Williams.

He hit the media spotlight three years ago and became known as the man with the golden voice. 'When you're listening to nothing but the oldies, you're listening to Magic 98.9'

Well, he's come a long way from standing on the side of the road doing his magical voice for a dollar. HLN has an update:

'Now, he lives with his long-time girlfriend in their own place.'
'This is the house, let me show you, I couldn't believe, Robin, that I have a fireplace! Whoa! A homeless man with a fireplace.'

It's been a long road, and Williams says he has a lot of titles, including former drug addict. He admitted he started drinking again when he was first discovered, but says he's been sober for two years now.

His voice was featured in a Kraft Macaroni and Cheese commercial. 'Kraft homestyle macaroni and cheese ... you know you love it.'

Williams has also reconnected with family members since his life took a turn for the better.

And he's written a book, fittingly called "A Golden Voice." It's advertised as an honest recollection of his life on the streets and his struggles with addiction. But the book has heartwarming moments too.

'It is a deeply American, from-the-heart comeback story about the power of hope, faith, and personal responsibility. '

We're glad to see Williams has been doing so well, and we certainly hope he got to enjoy every bit of that fireplace this winter.

Veronika M. Boggess May 15 2014 at 1:38 PM

I'm so happy to hear that someone that was given a chance took it and made good with it! Congratulations, Mr. Golden Voice, you have every reason under the sun to be proud of yourself!!!

DOORSTEPBABY May 15 2014 at 7:58 PM

Good for you Ted....KeepOn, moving up....

ajt1025 March 13 2014 at 11:52 AM

Let us hope you stay on this path Ted. Good work

eddiegarciaeddie March 13 2014 at 12:07 PM

I WISH THIS MAN NOTHING MORE THAN GOOD HEALTH HAPPINESS. AND MAY GOD ALWAYS GUIDE HIM IN THE DIRECTION. THE BEST!

Go STEELERS!!! March 13 2014 at 12:07 PM

God Bless this man. I am so happy and blessed to hear he is doing remarkably well and changed his life around. God is doing His miracles in him. Way to go, Mr. Williams.

Dr. Cal Harris March 13 2014 at 12:06 PM

Wow, that's a good article to start the morning with. Happiness. This man is happy with what he has in life; that is inspiring.

avlucas718 March 13 2014 at 12:05 PM

Good luckTed keep the faith, god is good.

maemurphy123 March 13 2014 at 8:19 PM

ted williams you go man. keep on keeping on I too am sober for 47 years and I can tell you from my own experiences it only gets better. so hang in there guy I want to hear that golden voice you have.
I have found over the years all my worrying was a waste of time everything turned out the way it was supposed to wether I worried or not. I am 77 y/o and stopped when I was 30 y/o, woosh thats a long time.... so may your higher power continue to watch over you and give you the strength to continue to stay on the straight and narrow. sincsrerly Mae

zechmommy March 13 2014 at 12:03 PM

Wow my son and I were just thinking about Mr. Williams yesterday. So excited he is doing well and pulling his family back together.
God works is love in so many ways.

sesimsagapelove March 13 2014 at 12:08 PM

I had forgotten all about this man but am very glad to hear, he's doing fine. God bless him and his loved ones.