Man on missing flight gave wife wedding ring 'in case something happened'

Man On Missing Flight Gave Wife Wedding Ring, Watch Before Flight

A man who was aboard the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 when it went missing off the coast of Vietnam gave his wife special items before his trip in case something should happen to him.

39-year-old Paul Weeks, a mechanical engineer from New Zealand, was on his way to start a new job in Mongolia. His wife Danica told 9News National before he left, he took off his wedding ring and watch and gave it to her.

He told her, "If something should happen to me then the wedding ring should go to the first son that gets married and then the watch to the second."

The couple's sons are 3-years-old and 10-months-old. They moved from New Zealand to Australia in 2011 after a devastating series of earthquakes.

The flight was carrying 239 people, four of which were Americans, including one infant. Danica says she's still holding out hope for her husband's return, and she's taking it day by day.

She said, "I have this anger. I am trying to process that. Who do you direct your anger at? You don't know, just take it step-by-step. There is no way of knowing how it is going to go."

Gina March 12 2014 at 5:49 PM

It's very bizzare that this plane just vanished. It HAD to have gone somewhere! When you think about all the strange happenings, strange weather, more violence and civil wars breaking out, this is all in the Bible. I'm not some Bible toating blow hard... I happened to have read the Bible years ago and everything that it says will happen, IS happening. God bless those people on that flight and God bless our entire world!

APRIL & MARK March 12 2014 at 7:34 PM

We are all praying for you and your family i dont know what i wouild do eather
i just feel so bad for you
your in our prayers

wildlifeartistkc APRIL & MARK March 12 2014 at 8:45 PM

Yes prayers going up for her husband and for all onboard!

kim272727 March 12 2014 at 3:23 PM

That is really sweet, but kind of strange. Sending my love to all the families affected by this.

lindamc kim272727 March 12 2014 at 3:33 PM

Seems a bit strange to me also.

Fran March 12 2014 at 2:45 PM

My heart goes out to the families of those missing on that flight. I hope all return safely. can't imagine the anxiety, fear, and worries they all must be experiencing. All involved are in my prayers.

JANEMACEJKO March 12 2014 at 7:38 PM

sometimes PEOPLE have a odd feeling of reality

MARK March 12 2014 at 8:02 PM

trust your instincts

japahi1patricia March 12 2014 at 8:48 PM

Horrible, but at least his wife has something to cling on to. Feel very sorry for all the families.

lanakii17 March 12 2014 at 2:26 PM

people are stupid. this guy gave his wife the watch and ring every time he went on a trip and nothing ever happened before...

Annette lanakii17 March 12 2014 at 4:06 PM

And you know this how? Were ,there that day? Did she tell you this personally? Had you been there before when he left to go on a trip?

Carol March 12 2014 at 2:24 PM

There is nothing left if you have lost hope. Keep your hope Mrs. Weeks! Thoughts and prayers are with you and all the other families with loved ones on that plane.

kcarthey March 12 2014 at 2:22 PM

Before I retired, I flew a lot and always left a note written before departure in a highly visible place in my home. I've also had some very strong premonitions but didn't act on them and nothing bad every happened. I won't shoot the whole idea down though as I'm a pretty open guy but just saying....