'Little People, Big World' stars Matt and Amy Roloff separate

'Little People, Big World': Roloff Trial Separation

After 26 years of marriage, Matt and Amy Roloff have decided to pursue a trial separation. During this difficult time, their focus will be on their four children, 23-year-old twins Jeremy and Zack, 20-year-old Molly and 17-year-old Jacob.

In a statement to PEOPLE, the couple says, 'Though we have weathered many storms together, we recently made the tough decision to engage in a trial separation.'

As they navigate this change in their lives, Matt and Amy actually won't be far apart. Matt will be moving into the guest house on their farm. In the above clip from TLC, Matt explains what's been going on:

'Last year, it was long. Long and tough. Amy and I had a lot of tension, so right around Thanksgiving, I thought I would move over to the bridal house for a little bit and we'll try that. Amy and I stuck it out for years and years when maybe we shouldn't have. I never quite felt at home in my own home so something needed to change. We needed to try something different.'

According to the clip, Amy isn't particularly happy about Matt's move. 'It's his choice,' she says with a frown. 'It's not my choice for him to leave. I am saddened by it. It's been 26 years. We don't have a plan for how we're going to work this out. It's not going to be easy,' she says.

The special will air on TLC on 3/25 at 9 p.m. TLC released a press release explaining the particulars of the episode:

The special episode, titled 'New Year, Big Changes,' checks in with the Roloffs during the holiday season when all of the kids have returned to celebrate together and have to begin adjusting to the new family dynamic. As the couple settles into their new arrangement - Matt has moved out of the family home and into a guesthouse on their Oregon farm - they hope that the change will give each of them the time and space needed to work through their issues.

Despite their separation, they are focused on providing their kids with as festive a holiday as possible, and move forward with planning an elaborate party to celebrate New Year's Eve. Joined by family and friends, Matt and Amy reflect on the importance of their relationship, but wonder if the coming months will bring the changes they each need to see in on order to make the marriage last.

ThatgirlsMom2 March 12 2014 at 10:09 PM

So very sorry that you have separated after 26 years. I know you had your share of arguments
but you raised A terrific family and I hope things work out for you. Wishing you the best.

wendydarln March 12 2014 at 9:14 PM

About time. Such tension. Sad buy living in that stress is not good for anyone. Prayers to the family.

BroknAngl54 March 12 2014 at 9:14 PM

I wish them all the best and my Prayers go out to all the Family, God Bless.

canralli March 12 2014 at 5:13 PM

She was always in contempt of him and its not a surprise to anyone I think.
He had 50/50 good ideas to stupid ideas, but really at least he did something, she just sat there and had an opinion on everything, while she watched other people work and complained.
In the end he better stop his projects now though, he is unrealistic and doesn't have the reality funds to bankroll his ideas anymore..........

patricianderson1 March 12 2014 at 5:16 PM

This doesn't surprise me in the least. It's been obvious for quite a while now that they weren't getting along and had different views on just about everything. Matt's health has been deteriorating for a while, so he can't do the things with the family that he used to, so the Farm became his life., it was something he could do because all it took was his imagination and getting the right people to do the work.

I wish them well, but sometimes love just isn't enough, If you have different paths you want to take,

missbea717 March 12 2014 at 5:17 PM

I'm saddened they have seperated 26 years is a long time to give up on.

tdiplaci March 12 2014 at 5:17 PM

It seems to be normal in Hollywood and TV you have to be addicted, abused, divorced, have a kid or three out of wedlock, in trouble with the law and on and on. Shame.

d1anaw March 12 2014 at 8:47 PM

Maybe people who want to keep their marriage in tact should run far away if the reality nutjobs come calling. Nearly every one of these reality "follow the family" around shows has ended in divorce. That should be a clue.

codenamesparrow March 12 2014 at 8:41 PM

fake they are togeather untill the end.

callwb March 12 2014 at 8:41 PM

May God bless them, they are an inspiration.

World Series