Groundskeeper caught saying the Pledge of Allegiance

Middle School Groundskeeper Caught Saying the Pledge of Allegiance

A Texas middle school teacher snapped a photo of a school's groundskeeper, and the image is creating a lot of positive buzz.

'He looked out to see a groundskeeper put down his weedwacker, take off his hat and put his hand over his heart. 21-year-old Clayton Allen Jr. recited the Pledge of Allegiance and the Texas Pledge before giving a moment of silence,' 'Fox & Friends' reported.

Garrett Hartman is the 7th grade teacher from Smith Middle School who snapped the photo of Allen.

He said the moment was inspiring.

'He put his hands behind his back and did the moment of silence. It was phenomenal. It was an instant impact kind of thing. Goosebump moment.'

Afterward, Hartman and another teacher rushed outside to meet Allen.

'It made me feel like Superman to be honest with you; it made me feel good on the inside,' Allen said.

Allen told KPRC he recited the Pledge of Allegiance because he 'feels blessed every day.'

'I'm so thankful for the day and the country that I'm in.'

Hartman told KPRC he hopes the photo - caught at just the right time- will have an impact on the 'level of respect students show' during the Pledge of Allegiance and moments of silence.

BJ March 11 2014 at 4:39 PM

I was so so sad when I see people who no longer lay their hand on their heart when saying the pledge of allegiance. I am grateful that this man said the pledge of allegiance and wish everyone would honor our flag and fallen heros far more than they do. Every school day should start with this and all the older traditions brought back.

briabran BJ March 11 2014 at 4:51 PM

I agree.

Mike March 11 2014 at 10:33 PM

Big thumbs up to you, man. The country is not perfect but someone showing appreciation is nice to see

ER March 11 2014 at 10:32 PM

Goose bumpb is right. If only more young people had the gratitude and respect that Mr. Allen does, this would be a better country to live in!!!

wa2tuff March 11 2014 at 5:03 PM

I'm proud of my country. There is alot wrong with it but there's no other place I'd rather be. The Pledge of Allegiance absolutely belongs in school. They're in school to learn and learning about the flag and what it represents in all part of being an American. And I'm all for "If you don't want to stand up and honor your country then you don't belong here".

nepatriots1941 wa2tuff March 11 2014 at 5:23 PM

Nothing really wrong with our country it's just the renegades in control at this time.....

Kathy March 11 2014 at 5:05 PM

I guess I was brought up different. I come from a family of Marines. I thought everybody was supposed to do this when you hear the Pledge of Allegiance . Whenever I got out of school from dropping of the kids late,, if the Pledge started before I hit the door I always stopped & did Pledge of Allegiance.

ohioh111b111y Kathy March 11 2014 at 5:11 PM

Kathy: not being pissy with you, but I believe you were raised different from most of us.
Do you see if often in your daily life outside of your family?

Randy Stalsby March 11 2014 at 5:05 PM

God Bless him , he is a true American with respect to our great nation

mark42836 Randy Stalsby March 11 2014 at 5:20 PM

that should be in front of the class providing a better example for the next generation than the cell phone videographer "teacher"

ruth March 11 2014 at 5:06 PM

Hooray!! Something good for a change! God bless this man who is still thankful for his country !!!

ohioh111b111y March 11 2014 at 5:10 PM

I love this: 'I'm so thankful for the day and the country that I'm in.'
The one trait I cannot and will not tolerate in my circle, is ungrateful people.
We have so much to be thankful for every day, every minute.

Great guy! Thanks for sharing.

gweiss9920 March 11 2014 at 5:11 PM

As a player & coach, my favorite part of opening a game was lining up and down the baselines. Hat on heart while the National Anthem played.......Goosebumps !!!

Tom March 11 2014 at 5:12 PM