FDA approved electric headband to prevent migraines

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Food and Drug Administration says it has approved a nerve-stimulating headband as the first medical device to prevent migraine headaches.

The Cefaly device is a battery-powered plastic band worn across the forehead that emits an electric current to stimulate nerves associated with migraine pain. The device is designed to be used no more than 20 minutes a day by patients 18 years and older.

A 67-person study reviewed by the FDA showed patients using the device experienced fewer migraines per month than patients using a placebo device. The Cefaly did not completely eliminate migraine headaches or reduce the intensity of migraines that occurred.

About 53 percent of 2,313 patients in a separate study said they were satisfied with the device and willing to purchase it for future use.

chdblwinnr March 11 2014 at 8:43 PM

I used to think my 4-day-long migraines were terrible. I then developed a brain tumor and now the migraines (which I still have) don't even register on my pain scale anymore.

Martin March 11 2014 at 10:03 PM

Cutting migraines down to only three or four times a month is a step in the right direction. As an acute migraine sufferer the relief would be welcome. I am thankful my Dr has found a drug combination that reduced them to twice a week. The pain what goes with it has not reduced.

dafishwins March 12 2014 at 1:08 AM

Nonsense! The migraine, cluster and other headaches are almost all caused by myo-fascial trigger points in key muscles that refer pain patterns into the skull. The brain has no nerve endings so it cannot feel pain; the arteries and veins that service the brain can and do feel (transmit) pain and its signals. I am a master at headaches and offer money back guarantee to all therapies I perform. I had migraine headaches for 3 years; the doctors told me it was all in my head! Meaning not a real medical condition. Do the research and you will discover the AMA, FDA and their researchers don't have a clue as to what causes them and how to "cure" them! Many studies have been done on head aches. I did one and found a patient who was having 20 to 30 cluster headaches a day. He smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, drank 2 to 3 six packs of caffinated soda a day, ate high fatty foods everyday (he did not corrolate the onset of headache with his diet), he drank tap water here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I was unable to get him to stop any of his addictive habits. He did agree to drink only purified or distilled water. In 3 days his headaches stopped! The water was only one of several causes of his cluster headaches. Everyday a head-acher can have one or more triggers to an episode. This patient also had many trigger points in seveal key muscles but refused therapy. It was only a matter of time until he began his episodes again because he was not addressing the real issues.

banngbanng March 12 2014 at 3:22 AM

YUCK!!!! how about you find the root cause of yr migraine- do you work too much? do you not sleep enough? do you not eat healthy/right? Fck this BS!!! This is like the psychiatrists prescribing ridalin for ADHD....it's our LIFESTYLE that is killing us- we are human and don't jive in this tech controlled world. All this crap is doing is masking the real truth, which is the fact that we are enslaved, overworked, and fed a bunch of '"quick fixes" in order to overlook the main issue- we are slaves in a twisted corporate infested world. Luckily i make enough to live simply and save enough to retire early....and then i will float way and you will nvr see me again :)

bnhyr March 11 2014 at 7:08 PM

Ergotamine tatrate will prevent migraine headaches. Tell the government to demand the drug companies to continue to produce it.

cvellafl March 11 2014 at 6:46 PM

I had real head bangers since the age of 8. We moved to another state and I made an appointment for a routine physical. My new doctor put me on a low dose blood pressure med...no more headaches.
I have told several people about this and all were successful.

T. Wayne Harris March 11 2014 at 6:29 PM

MIght be a good time to copy this article and go see your doctor if it applies.

ookevin1 March 11 2014 at 6:25 PM

This might have saved my daughter's life. She had a 24/7 level 10 migraine for eight years. Sadly she died of an overdoes of perscription drugs. I miss her!!!

Jen ookevin1 March 11 2014 at 8:07 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. My daughter who is 22 suffers from migraines during her cycle, much like I did. Mine have all but gone now, but she still suffers, although she just toughs it out until they are gone. She gets them about once a month but they are pretty bad with all of the classic symptoms that come with migraines. This might be a good thing for her to try, but a post above said that it is not available in the US.

Jen Jen March 11 2014 at 8:13 PM

But to add to this, if it does not help with the acute symptoms and only the amount that one gets per month, what is the point. When you have a migraine, all you want is relief. nothing more. You cannot function when you have a full blown migraine. To me, this is a major drawback.

Flag +2 rate up
smillerhello ookevin1 March 11 2014 at 8:07 PM

So sorry for your loss.

tselby318 March 11 2014 at 5:45 PM

How would I find out more about this my daughter has them really bad..

banngbanng March 12 2014 at 3:23 AM

another quick fix for an issue that no one looks into...the issue known as enslavement

World Series