Couple kicked out of McDonald's for staying longer than 30 minutes

Elderly Couple Kicked Out of McDonald's for Staying Longer Than 30 Minutes

Virginia couple Carl and Barbara Becker were enjoying what they like to call 'scrunch,' their meal between lunch and supper. They do this three times a week, sometimes at McDonald's -- though they likely won't be returning.

According to 'Fox & Friends,' 'A couple says an apology from McDonald's is simply not enough after a manager at McDonald's kicked them out of the restaurant for staying too long. At first the veteran Carl Becker and his wife Barbara refused to leave.'

WTTG reports that while the Beckers were eating their usual fare, an employee brought out a broom and started cleaning near where they were eating.

'The dust started kicking up and it was just flying everywhere and she says 'does this bother you?' and I said, 'only if you like to eat dirt does this not bother me.'

Barbara Becker says shortly after that, the manager said their 30-minute time limit was up, and they had to leave so employees could clean the floor.

The thing is, no one could find any signs in the restaurant stating there's a 30-minute time limit.

Not even the TV station.

Carl Becker wrote a letter to the editor of the Culpeper Star-Exponent about the incident, noting:

'I have had many experiences in my lifetime as a WWII veteran ... a retiree from the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization at the Pentagon, and the father of six children ... but none as unusual as being asked to leave a restaurant so they could clean the floor under and around the table where I sat.'

The McDonald's corporate office addressed the situation and offered the Beckers two free coffees.

'The Beckers say the restaurant was not crowded ... the people that own that McDonald's issued a statement, 'my organization takes these matters seriously and is investigating the customer's claims.''

Carl Becker's letter said the situation was 'so unbelievable' that it didn't even raise any feelings of hostility or embarrassment.

exbigrigger March 12 2014 at 4:55 PM

It's easy. Vote with your feet folks! Thats a message they will understand!

estimatorone March 12 2014 at 1:09 PM

Just rude employees and an even worse manager. Employees
like this undermine the push to improve the pay level of these
people. I would almost bet that if these people returned to
that McDonald's today, they would not find that employee,
and maybe even that manager, there anymore?

hardlink estimatorone March 12 2014 at 11:53 PM

Yes, l am sure McDonald's already did it; just to look good to the costumers. McDonald's
can't careless for the manager. As long as they look good in the public eyes....

Glenda March 12 2014 at 11:53 AM

What a cruel act to bestow on an elderly couple....even worse to be offered 2 free cups of coffee! Hopefully this McDonald's will be ''boycotted,'' and there will be no need to clean the floors. The Mgr., and his employees will have the ''clean'' place all to themselves.

Richard March 12 2014 at 1:55 PM

Odd because I have often sat for hours in a McDonald's to use the free Wifi with nary a word from anyone.

roamlin March 12 2014 at 12:13 PM

Have Your Say...I hope Micky D's can afford it. They should have been offered two cups of coffee per day for the rest of their lives.

brandon_keating March 12 2014 at 11:07 AM

Seriously? This is an ISSUE? How about when I order a diet drink and they give me a regular drink?! As a diabetic this greatly affects my health, they don't care about that. I tell them and what do they do? Offer me another (assumed regular) drink. Richmond, VA. Happens all the time at multiple fast food restaurants. This needs to be fixed. Sometimes they place the wrong syrup in the machines too, employees making minimum wage don't give a **** about you or your health. I never order drinks anymore from anywhere unless it's bottled. /endrant

fastfivelitre@hotmail.com March 12 2014 at 11:14 AM

I own a Mc Donald's and would welcome the seniors to stay all day if they felt like it, taking away the business from A&W hahaha. If this would have happened at my store the manager would have be fired, along with the douche bag sweeping floors near a customer, i actually have walked into my store and had a person fired for that. Also i would be under fire from franchise management maybe even fined. The coffee thing is ridiculous but if the claim is substantiated they will be offered alot more then that

averyprotector fastfivelitre@hotmail.com March 12 2014 at 11:44 AM

You "own" a McDonald's and you use a term like "douche bag"? Quite sophisticated..... I'd stay out of your place just because I think you're a pig.
You "fired" someone for sweeping the floor near a customer? SERIOUSLY? Something is really wrong with you as a human being.
I agree these old people were mistreated, (regardless of his age - and who gives a damn that he as a 'veteran', but YOU sir... are an idiot.

klutick March 12 2014 at 11:46 AM

Two free coffees...wow...what a ******* deal

gibbsdennisl March 12 2014 at 11:06 AM

It's obvious! Boycott McDonalds.

bharrison777 March 12 2014 at 11:46 AM

Own a resturant and when I'm not there nothing make me madder than an employee sweeping the floor while customers are eating. I don't want to eat dirt and am sure my customers don't want to either. I check up on them with a camera system. Clean the floor when no one is there or at closing.