DALLAS SEAVEY WINS HIS SECOND IDITAROD DOG RACE

Iditarod

By Mark Thiessen

NOME, Alaska (AP) - Dallas Seavey ran a blistering pace and took the lead just hours before the finish to win this year's Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Seavey was the first musher under the famed burled arch in Nome. Minutes later, second place finisher Aliy (AL-ee) Zirkle finished amid cheers.

He had to come from a three-hour deficient to overcome mushers Jeff King and Zirkle in the last 77 miles. He was third into the second-to-last checkpoint in White Mountain, where mushers are required to take an eight-hour rest.

The 27-year-old Seavey also won the race in 2012.

Zirkle also finished second in 2012 and 2013.

ANNIE March 11 2014 at 9:23 AM

Love Dallas Seavey. Wins both iditarod and alaska challenge.

WONDERFUL RON March 11 2014 at 12:20 PM

Everything is wonderful.

ghelm92160 March 11 2014 at 10:14 AM

The view only gets better for the lead dog!

Bill March 11 2014 at 10:14 AM

It's always great to see a dog doing what he was born/bred to do - whatever the breed. I love when I hear, during the Westminster Dog Show, for instance, that a show dog also works on the farm, or goes hunting. Dogs Rule!

fsaufleyudt Bill March 11 2014 at 11:48 AM

There is an exception.

agentt001 March 11 2014 at 11:34 AM

I wish the networks would show some parts of the race with occasional updates here in NYC.

axmarkax March 11 2014 at 10:15 AM

alienconsulting must not have ever played with a dog that was bred for a purpose. When given the task they were bred for a light comes on, it's great to see.

judythe March 11 2014 at 11:15 AM

Have had the honor of meeting Libby Riddles the first woman to win the Iditarod in 1985. I've also attended her lectures and read her book "Race Across Alaska". I'd suggest reading her book to get a clearer vision of the relationship between the Musher and their dogs and the incredible journey they take together. One thing she explains is that the dogs come first. This race is based on the serum run of 1925. In the wilds of Alaska the relationship between man and dog is essential.

gewatt1 March 11 2014 at 10:19 AM

I have admired the men and women who run this race yearly, this is a true challenge for man and dog, these dogs are treated and used exactly for what God created them for, I once had a Black Lab born and breed to hunt and if I ever left the house to hunt without him, it would of broke his heart, yes animals have feelings and they love doing what they do best, my dog and I understood what the other was thinking without words beings spoken (body language) and I know there are those who will think I am a nut case thinking this, but for those who have been lucky enough to experience this type of closeness with a dog, they will understand!!

misterfrog gewatt1 March 11 2014 at 11:09 AM

You are so right. I understand because I am blessed with such a relationship. I was wanting a dog and asked God for a perfect match. When I found my dog at a humane society he was not what I had pictured. Never the less after I saw him I could not look at any other dog. He is the perfect match for me and we communicate most people could not understand. We are inseperable. He is Lab and ridgeback Mix.

Janice gewatt1 March 11 2014 at 11:35 AM

gewatt1 I couldn't agree more. My father and I hunted pheasants, ducks and geese together when I was a child. We loved those dogs and pampered them to a fault but when it came to hunting one stood out in excellence. Spotty (quite original name) would howl, claw and pace if she though we were going hunting or even saw hunting clothes on the clothes line. She hunted twice daily during the hunting season and never wanted to quit even when my father knew she was exhausted and weak. She literally finished her last hunt by taking a drink, licking my dads's hand then laying down and going to sleep. That was a tribute to her loyalty, love for the sport and sweet personality. I miss old Spotty even 55 years later.

yakmann2 March 11 2014 at 10:17 AM

That's it! No more information than that. What BULLSHIT! Comon AOL you can do better.

salemst yakmann2 March 11 2014 at 10:24 AM

AOL is upset the woman, Zirkle, didn't win.
It would have been one of their major news stories as every time a woman accomplishes anything AOL makes it seem she walked on water. It's a gender thing with them

Janice salemst March 11 2014 at 11:38 AM

You need a kick in the pants after that remark. This is the 21st century and you need to stop using gender as an excuse to complain. Maybe AOL didn't give us enough information but shop whining about women and write a constructive suggestion to AOL about their coverage. Grow up!

Flag +2 rate up
harleybv salemst March 11 2014 at 1:33 PM

whats the matter Sale...you have a small weenie?

Flag 0 rate up
educator2 March 11 2014 at 9:55 AM

Sorry that some people are still calling this race cruel. They have not educated themselves, followed the race and don't know dogs! Beautiful animals, well cared for and when you see them work you know that they love what they're doing. Maybe pro football should be banned because it is cruel and inhuman- boy, those players love what they're doing also.