Couple Trapped, Attacked By Their Own Cat

Couple Trapped, Attacked By Their Own Cat

A trusted pet turning on its owners? A house cat, not one you'd find in the wild, attacked a baby in Portland and then trapped its owners in a bedroom.

"The 22-pound cat went on a spree last night first scratching the baby, then attacking the rest of the family ... he trapped the family in a back room."
"Every time we opened our back bedroom door the cat would hiss."

This is Lux. Yes, he weighs 22 lbs - pretty big for a pet cat. The Oregonian reports the chaos started when Teresa Barker's son pulled Lux's tail. The ferocious feline, as police are calling it, then attacked baby Jesse, scratching his head.

Parker's boyfriend and Jesse's father, Lee Palmer, stepped in at that point - kicking the cat away from the baby. And that's when Lux went wild, forcing Palmer to call 911.

"He's charging at us. He's at our door, bedroom door. Did you hear him? I think that was the cat. Yeah, year I hear him. Hold on." "Keep your door shut, okay."

When police showed up, Lux headed to the kitchen -- quote, "attempting to flee custody," as police put it. Officers used a dog snare to catch the cat.

And while the whole 'attack by a cat' thing might sound a little odd, Barker says it was no laughing matter. "It's only funny when it's not happening to you. When this happens to you, I assure you, you will do the same thing." (Via KATU)

The family is still trying to figure out what to do with the cat. For now, they plan on keeping the feline away from baby Jesse.

Laura March 11 2014 at 2:28 PM

I think they need to get in contact with Cat Behaviorist Jackson Galaxy, who has a show on Animal Plant called "My Cat from Hell". He has handle cats like this and others that are worse. Jackson will let them know if it is safe to keep the cat or what to do with the cat whether he needs to be rehomed and all the options they have with the cat.

vcrozas March 11 2014 at 2:48 PM

Well brilliant keep that cat away from the baby...no kidding. Maybe if the cat had some attention the cat wouldn't have been so wild. I would want to attack you too if you kicked me. Remember you wanted the kid not the cat

FIESTA & SIESTA March 11 2014 at 2:48 PM

I think it is sad the baby was involved. Maybe the baby pulled the cats tail - not making excused for the cat BUT we all SHOULD know that babies and animals have to be watched very closely - even the most devoted pet has feelings when a baby pulls a tail or bites the animal. Actually I'm thinking this is not the first time Parker had kicked the cat - just a hunch! I hope they will find a nice safe home for Lux the cat and that the safety of the baby will be monitered. PS to parents - please watch your babies when pets are around!

jaybeach8 FIESTA & SIESTA March 11 2014 at 2:53 PM

The tail-pulling could have happened. But I recall when my son was less than a year old, we had a really tough male cat that could lick his ten times his weight in any kind of animal you want to name. The cat was laying quietly in front of the woodstove in the living room when Johnnie came up to him and spun him around by the tail.
Nothing happened. He spun him twice more and STILL nothing happened. Usually, animals have a sixth sense (that's that common sense that adult humans seem to lack) and know when a small child is just playing.

k9femom March 11 2014 at 2:50 PM

after watching the video, it's easy to see that the cat is fearful. also, with the cat being obese, there could be some underlying physical issues (spinal?) that the tail pull exacerbated. then, the kick wouldn't have helped at all. that poor cat needs to be in a home with no children.

jaybeach8 March 11 2014 at 2:50 PM

First, the guy kicked the cat. Not a good move. Second, he is a wussie. He sounds like one. He's hiding in the bedroom from a housecat. How much proof do you need that he's a wussie?
Housecat. Not a wildcat.

Qball Dog March 11 2014 at 2:50 PM

These people are ******* idiots! For starters, the kid pulled the cats tail and pissed him off which would do the same to any cat! Next they kick the cat, because for some reason they are not watching their own ******* baby! What a bunch of ******* these people are (no pun intended).

Madeline Qball Dog March 11 2014 at 3:12 PM

Absolutely. Hope the cat is taken in by a new owner. No kids. Or at least a no-kill shelter.

Roberta March 11 2014 at 2:51 PM

How hard did he kick the cat? The child pulled his tail then the cat scratched him. The cat did not get angry until he was kicked. The cat is not guilty the man is.

Madeline Roberta March 11 2014 at 3:11 PM

Virtually always when companion animals become dangerous it goes back to something people did. The more I know about our species the more I love non-human animals. Sometimes folks just suck. Period.

babycats2 March 11 2014 at 2:52 PM

Ok its obvious the cat was there first and then along comes a baby! Come on its not hard to figure out if the cat was your baby and YOU (Mother) and Boyfriend kicked her to the curb more then once after the Baby came along how do you think she feels. My only question is what happens when baby #2 comes along. Poor Kitty give her to someone that will treat her with unconditional LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P/S I raised two kids and had 3 cats through their years and never once did the animals turn on any of us, a matter of fact they were part of our family until they past and My cats were in my life way before my kids.

emailtonym March 11 2014 at 2:55 PM

22 pounds for a housecat is normal! I've had 2 different cats that size, and I don't think this is unusually large for a cat, as this story makes it sound like a freagin monster! I never had issues dealing with my large cats and disciplining them. These people just don't know how to handle a cat in the first place. If a cat traps you in the bedroom and you can't get out, you have some issues you should work through, as the mother in this video is clearly afraid of something she's at least 5X bigger than it. You can hear her freakin' out when she's talking. Seems like FELINE PHOBIA is finally working itself out, which seems to be the real underlying issue. Good for the cat scratching the baby, as I'm sure that baby will think twice as to what it just LEARNED!!! Should the baby even be playing with the cat? I think the baby is clearly TOO YOUNG TO KNOW not to pull the tail of a cat! I blame the parents for bad judgment, or even endangering their own child, as they clearly failed to see the potential danger. Parent's obviously clueless and overreacting... sheez, and the 911 operator and animal control.... please, give me a break! It's a house cat who just needed 10 minutest to calm down!!! I bet he was happy at dinner time!

happylegs March 11 2014 at 2:58 PM

I have a very friendly shih tzu. However, whenever she isn't "herself" she will ignore you. One day she and I got in the elevator which had 5 other people. They all wanted pet her, but I asked them not to because she wasn't feeling well. They respected my request except for one 5 yr old boy. He sat next to my dog and bit her on the ear. My dog yelped so loud, and I yelled at the boy. "Why did you do that? I said she was sick" The other people got on my case saying, "He didn't pet her. He was only playing with her."
I never thought I would wish my dog would pee on someone,