A California woman stung more than 1,000 times by a swarm of bees is expected to be okay.
Firefighters say the unidentified 71-year-old woman was a covered in a 'suit of bees' when they arrived on scene, according to KABC.
'The bees, about 75,000 of them, made a hive inside a fiber optic phone line utility box. You can see the honeycomb on the lid. [She] had to be rescued by having a blanket thrown over her head and taken inside by her neighbor.'
At least five firefighters, one Verizon employee, and neighbors were also stung by the bees. The Desert Sun reports the five firefighters were taken to the hospital for their injuries, but are expected to be okay.
Authorities made a reverse 911 call to the area, telling everyone within two miles of the incident to stay indoors and away from the bees.
A Cal Fire Battalion Chief told ABC, this problem with bees seems to be growing. 'In 20 years I've never been on a case like this. In Southern California, we're starting to hear bees are becoming more prevalent in the area.'
The bees are reportedly Africanized bees, or known more commonly as killer bees. As their name suggests, their stings can be fatal.
One insect removal expert told ABC the phone box where the bees were found are supposed to be bee proof and whoever serviced the box last may have improperly secured it.