Teen wakes from coma after family sings hymns

'Brain Dead' Teen Wakes from Coma After Family Sings Hymns

Brigham Young University student Lexi Hansen, 18, was hit by a car in a horrifying accident that left her in a coma with a severe brain injury.

'Her injuries were so severe, doctors say she was brain dead, but her family never gave up. And then it happened. They say Lexi woke up at the very moment when they starting singing hymns to her,' ABC reported.

The Mormon family firmly believes they witnessed a miracle.

KSL-TV reports Hansen suffered severe brain damage after being hit while riding her longboard across the street at a crosswalk. Police said neither alcohol, drugs nor texting were believed to have contributed to the crash.

As of last Tuesday, Hansen was listed in critical but stable condition and even reportedly tried to get out of her hospital bed.

According to Deseret News, her father, Doug Hansen, said doctors initially gave her "less than a 5 percent chance of survival."

Lexi Hansen's family has been posting updates on a Facebook page, and although she has a long road ahead of her, she has been making remarkable progress:

"Lexi was able to remember and tell the speech therapist all of her sibling's names. With 8 siblings, that's no small task. Her speech is still very slurred ... but we're still excited that she is remembering things."

Daily Mail reports while her family was singing the hymns, Hansen signed the words 'I love you.' Police called the collision a quote "unfortunate accident."

barclaybogey March 10 2014 at 2:51 PM

The title is grossly incorrect, and misleading. Her recovery is fabulous; however, it should be clear that she was in a coma, not "brain dead". Brain death is a criteria for declaring someone "DEAD", which she clearly was not. Please be more careful / accurate in the future.

crotalus barclaybogey March 10 2014 at 4:16 PM

News organizations are NOT in the business of being accurate. They are in the business of getting you to read a story, and if they use inaccurate or biased headlines to get you to click on their link, then they have achieved their goal.

Once they get you reading, their next goal is to create controversy to keep you reading and looking for the next article on the subject.

lordamhrst March 10 2014 at 4:30 PM

Not to negate other interpretations of this event, but music will resonate in different sections of the brain than other stimulae. However this young woman achieved consciousness, it certainly is a story with a preliminarily happy end, albeit with an immense amount of hard work ahead of her. I wish her,and all who care for her, well.

Irish March 11 2014 at 1:04 AM

A miracle so far. Hope all turns out well for all that are involved.

mtherrian53 March 11 2014 at 1:20 AM

My niece took two 38s in the head and she
Lives a good life you can come out of head injury and live a good one!!!

pelala26 March 10 2014 at 8:45 PM

God Bless her!!!!!

cconno5571 March 10 2014 at 8:35 PM

God Bless, Glad she has a loving Family. Hope she gets better.

chefjohnp March 10 2014 at 4:44 PM

Long rad ahead beats a dead end any day! God Bless. Who to say, it could very well be a miracle!

KALIMERA LIBBY:) March 10 2014 at 5:38 PM

I am a strong believer on that this is a lifetime research for me not to pull the plug on human beings! The brain has a way to heal it self and it does all the time! Even after 25 years in some cases. Pulling the plug on people is ignorant and murder to me! I am so very happy for this precious sweet girl that came back! God bless you all! I wish I had a family like yours! If you wish to contact me for any reason I am on Facebook under Libby Adderly . You made my day! :) God bless you all! God is awesome and you are all wonderful people for not giving up on your precious child! You are now and always will be in my prayers! _()_

Lisa KALIMERA LIBBY:) March 10 2014 at 5:43 PM

If I were to become brain damaged to the extent I would be in a coma for 25 years, please pull the plug and donate my organs to someone who could have a real life.

donpantanella Lisa March 10 2014 at 5:51 PM

I got dibs on your liver.

Flag +2 rate up
recjac Lisa March 10 2014 at 6:53 PM

Donpantanella I spoke first for the liver also the heart....

Flag +1 rate up
topjimi1 March 10 2014 at 4:51 PM

Again... So many outstanding comments... lol
Some of you are so sure there isnt a God and have to make this about that. Others want to rant in the opposite direction...
Whatever.. you all hash it out... Me? I believe in God. Maybe you dont... Ok... I dont live in your skin so I dont make your choices and you dont have to live with mine. Right? Im not a prophet. Im just a human. Nice to hear from so many of you who have all of the answers!
Also, a few laptop Doctors here offering their opinions of her condition. Im impressed!!! My father, a doctor for nearly 65 years and former Chairman of the Board of Governors of the American College of Physicians, said he coundnt comment because he hadnt examined her. You folks who can amaze me! Such talent shouldnt be waisted! Go out and save some lives!
Im thrilled to hear happy news today. I consider this happy news. A smart and pretty young lady, a family who didnt quit and an unexpected but very happy ending! Cool!! Thats my comment!
Have a nice day!

Frank Felly March 11 2014 at 1:33 AM

That was indeed a Miracle! Praise GOD!
I'm very happy for her and her family.

Doctor Michael Frank Felly March 11 2014 at 4:36 AM

For each 20 persons that have this kind of injury 1 survives. You may define that survival frequency as a miracle. In which case you would have to say winning the lottery is a Mega Miracle.