Oscar-winning director of 'Gravity' turns to TV

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuaron was looking for an anti-"Gravity" follow up to his blockbuster space film, and he found it with a rare excursion into television.

Cuaron and sci-fi auteur J.J. Abrams ("Lost," the "Star Trek" movies) are executive producers of "Believe," a drama about a child whose supernatural powers put her and the world at risk.

The premise came to him while he waited during "the endless process of special effects" on "Gravity," Cuaron said at a media event.

"Well, first of all, I wanted to do something in which people were not floating," Cuaron said, drawing laughs.

"I wanted to do something more grounded, and we wanted to do it with real people, real locations," he continued. "And I wanted to do something really exciting, but, at the same time, something that would be highly emotional."

He recounted sharing the idea with Abrams and his reaction: "Wow."

The pair met more than two decades ago and, Abrams said, "I've wanted to work with him desperately ever since. I was a huge fan of every movie that he made, and each one made me more and more desperate to try and figure this out."

When Cuaron contacted him with the idea for "Believe," Abrams said, it created the opportunity for him and his company, Bad Robert Productions.

Johnny Sequoyah stars as Bo, a 10-year-old who appears to have won the special-gifts lottery at birth: She can levitate, has the power of telekinesis, can control nature and see the future.

But she can't control or understand her powers and is at risk from those who would use them to conquer Earth. Delroy Lindo co-stars as Bo's protector, with Jack McLaughlin as a wrongfully imprisoned death row inmate enlisted in the effort.

The cast also includes Jamie Chung and Kyle MacLachlan. A preview airs at 10 p.m. EDT Monday, with the show debuting in its 9 p.m. EDT Sunday slot March 16.

Cuaron has dabbled lightly in TV in years past, but big-screen projects like "Gravity," ''Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Children of Men" have been his focus.

He shepherded "Gravity" with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to a leading seven Oscar trophies March 2. Among them was the best director award for Cuaron, with the Mexican filmmaker becoming the category's first Latino winner.

Oscar dazzle and box office grosses aside - "Gravity" pulled in more than $500 million internationally in 2013 - cast members said it was Cuaron himself who drew them to "Believe." He directed the series' pilot.

"The things that Alfonso said creatively were very exciting to me," said Lindo. "So from my standpoint it was not necessarily a no-brainer, but it was certainly very exciting, the prospect of working with him on this project."

rsilvago March 08 2014 at 3:31 PM

It is Bad Robot Productions - Not Bad Robert Productions!

floppypawltd rsilvago March 09 2014 at 1:52 AM

Either way BAD period.

SCARLATTI floppypawltd March 09 2014 at 1:56 AM

Yes, it's obvious that is the explanation for your ugly demeanor. I hope you recover quickly.

Flag 0 rate up
Anne Boleyns Crown March 08 2014 at 3:59 PM

If you missed Gravity at your local IMAX, you really missed an amazing movie experience. I watch 100's of movies every year and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed seeing a film that much. It blew my mind and wrecked my nerves...in a good way. If it hadn't of come to my local IMAX, I honestly would have waited for it to go to blu ray. I hope they bring it back to the IMAX every year or so, I wanted t go a second time but didn't make it.

Bob Wood March 08 2014 at 3:51 PM

This movie was up in the air. No pun intended.

Peggy March 08 2014 at 9:01 PM

Gravity was an excellent movie. Sandra Bullock worked very hard on this movie and
did positively deserve the academy award. It truly felt very sad for her.

frenchladyb March 09 2014 at 4:05 AM

I would go to see all the movies Sandra is in....she is a terrific, natural actress, she reminds me a lot of the late Carole Lombard, who was married to Clark Gable until she died in a plane crash in the 40's....

amongthefishes March 09 2014 at 9:26 AM

How is the idea of a child with supernatural abilities at all original? Seriously... How? I mean, I'm sure it's going to be a great SciFi show, but it's not a unique premise. Not by a long shot.

floppypawltd March 09 2014 at 1:51 AM

J.J. Abrhams a "Sci-Fi mastermind"????? Really what has he written ??? What film has he written??? Oh yeah thats right NONE. If you want to call any hollywood Producer and Director a "Sci-Fi master mind" here is the list...
Stanley Kubrick - co wrote and produced and directed both the book and film 2001
James Cameron - Aliens screenplay and directed, The Abyss, Terminator 2 and other stuff in that franchise, Strange Days, Avatar
Rod Sterling- Twilight Zone writer director and more
William Shatner - Star Trek 5 (yes weakest of tos films but real trek) , Tech Wars series
Leonard Nimoy
Dan O'Bannon way to many sci-fi films to list
The Wachoski's - Matrix trilogy, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending
Ridley Scott
And many many more who are far more tal;ented in the genre of Sci-Fi films then that hack J.J. Abrahms will ever be.

SCARLATTI floppypawltd March 09 2014 at 1:54 AM

Hello, troll...which bridge do you live under...?

mark and sheri floppypawltd March 09 2014 at 3:38 AM