Two teens dead in Phoenix murder-suicide

stock image of caution tape at a crime scene

PHOENIX (AP) - A teenage boy fatally shot his ex-girlfriend before turning the gun on himself at a north Phoenix home in an apparent murder-suicide, authorities said.

Phoenix police identified the two as 15-year-old Matthew Bolton and 16-year-old Anastasia "Ana" Greer. Both were sophomores at Sandra Day O'Connor High School in Phoenix.

The shooting occurred around noon Friday at a home of Greer's friend, police said.

A neighbor, Jim Friel, told The Arizona Republic (http://bit.ly/MVgruJ ) that he heard a scream and then gunshots and went across the street to the home to see what happened.

Friel said the girl had gunshot wounds to her chest and the boy a gunshot wound to his face.

Police responded to a 911 call and found both teens dead outside the home.

"It appears he shot her in the front yard and then he turned the gun on himself," said Sgt. Tommy Thompson, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Police say Bolton didn't go to school Friday and it was unclear how he got the gun, which was found on a sidewalk near the bodies.

nnojr March 08 2014 at 7:23 AM

Parents in cites who allow their kids unsupervised access to guns should be jailed! It's as simple as that. If you have the No, No, No don't do that parenting technique with no consequences, you are doing more damage than good. I don't care if you don't agree, that's why you are wrong, don't reply, I won't!

drpmindmender nnojr March 08 2014 at 8:50 AM

Parents ANYWHERE, in urban, suburban, or rural areas, who allow their kids unsupervised access to guns, should be jailed!

brianrandall32 March 08 2014 at 8:35 AM

The problem is getting worse:
Yes I know; there were no video games or TV during the days of Cain and Able.
Society doesn’t want to accept that violence in games does play a part in the reasons why so many of our kids turn to violence at a young age. You are what you consume (eat), our kids consume why too much violence each day, e. g. violent video games and movies. And yes most people who play violent games on a long term basis will not turn to killing in the real world, but you only need the few to cause great harm.
I know some here will fight against the idea that violence in movies and in video games is not the problem, and in a way they are right. But I see how much anger and obsession is caused by kids consuming these things on a long term bases. Once I took all of my child’s video games away that ager she had was not such a problem as it once was and we didn’t have the games with the extreme violence in it. I remember a time, a few years ago; that you'd have to wait until after 8 or 9 at night to watch most of the extreme violence and sex scenes on cable TV, but now you can see it any time of day, even during the hours that kids are awake.
There are no single reasons for these problems but one, and that is, our nature is evil and we must be trained at a young age to have self-control and the ability to deal with anger and problems in the world such as bulling, but our schools (government) won’t allow it, I wonder why that is? Removing prayer out of school was the big down fall and both parents having to work was the other.

Pearl March 08 2014 at 9:01 AM

So tragic and sad, RIP

ohioh111b111y March 08 2014 at 9:10 AM

My condolences to both families and friends. Way too young for such a tragedy.

ronald March 08 2014 at 9:16 AM

I am an vigilant, nurturing, protective parent. I pay attention to what My kids are doing online and who they associate with. I know it's much harder to be a parent these day's, especially when, My parents have "no clue" what My children are talking about. There are too many very powerful negative influences on children these days. It's impossible to stop them without taking away all electronics and moving to an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere and home schooling them

Rhonda March 08 2014 at 9:16 AM

We, as a society, are failing our kids miserably, by not giving them good examples, role models, and teaching them about their self worth and how to handle rejection. Just look at MTV and other so called "reality" shows on TV that "teach" them anger, aggression, and hate. Some of the music today is also full of violence and hatred. The question of "What's wrong with kids today", the answer is, "us, as adults aren't taking a stand and teaching them values anymore"

janicejharvey March 08 2014 at 9:18 AM

I cannot believe what I just read. This is awful. Beyond awful. Someone should have noticed that something was clearly wrong with that boy, because no one in their right mind goes around killing their exes and then themselves. God. I see that some people are saying that "no gun, no death", but honestly, it takes someone to be really over the edge to commit this god-awful act, and if the gun wasn't made available to him, he would have found something else to do the job with. However, this should be a lesson to unwary gun owners. KEEP YOUR GUNS LOCKED UP AND AWAY FROM THE REACH OF ANYONE UNLICENSED TO USE THEM!!!!!!!! I don't know that I can add enough emphasis to that statement. I don't care if your son or daughter is 15, 16, or 17. Unless you are specifically around to supervise them the ENTIRE TIME they are using the gun, they should not have any access to it. At all. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I'm 19, and I can tell you for sure, that while I have hated some of my exes and wished them harm, I would never, in a million years, kill them just for a bad ending to a relationship. It would take something far more drastic, like me fighting for my life or the life of someone else to make me even consider it, and even then, I wouldn't want to kill them, merely stop them.

How do you miss something this big? I have to wonder what the rest of the story is.

Carol janicejharvey March 08 2014 at 9:41 AM

Lady, if someone wants to kill you, they will find a way. If not a gun, a knife, baseball bat, rock, brick, bow and arrow, or they could just beat you to death. STOP BLAMING THE GUN!!!!
Tell you what. When you can find and produce a gun that will get up in the morning, load itself, take itself for a walk or drive, find someone it wants to kill, aim and fire its self, then take itself home, then we can talk. Until then, as long as you blame the gun, you are clueless!!!! However, if you do find that type of gun, give me the proof. I will be the first in line to turn in my CHL and guns.
Why don't you read what one of the survivors from Columbine said. He said that when someone wants to kill you, they will. It does not matter what he finds to use. If he wants you dead bad enough, you will be.

Tim Gega March 08 2014 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, that’s it! Blame everyone BUT the parental upbringing. (Games, Guns, TV, Violence, No Prayer in school, etc.). It’s all “external” right? This happens to older couples also, (30-40s). Every suicide is a Statement (to the living). Heed it or hide from it. It’s not about “God” either, but more so of those (Humans) who profess Gods wisdom in a self-centered, usurpian and judgmental fashion. This “simplistic” mindset is: You committed adultery, (after you said you would love me forever). (Under this Rule and mindset) the idea is: let’s take this TO God and let him be the Judge here. Kill you, kill me, and then God in heaven can decide right from wrong here. < This is the typical mindset in many suicides (of any age). It’s not the weapon of choice, but rather the “mindset of choice” that decides these critical fates and apparent destinies. Society demands so much from these young boys and men yet these unrealistic demands are never taught nor educated into them. It’s hypocritical and condescending psychobabble at best. Wake Up America, these are YOUR kids and they are crying out for ADULT Help, yet there are damned few adults today who know how to help these tender minds when it comes to Love. It’s truly pathetic that WE have not learned this Tragic Lesson yet!!!

Linda March 08 2014 at 9:29 AM

What an evil child to kill someone coz they do not love you or want you. Pathetic. He could have taken his own life if he was so miserable, but to take that young ladies life is sad. What a creep. And to those anti gun freaks who will comment on oh no another gun....my cousins wife was murdered by her 16 year old brother who used a SLEDGE HAMMER TO BASH HER HEAD IN. So, do not go there. It is the person who kills and a tool to kill can be anything. ANYTHING.

Carol Linda March 08 2014 at 9:34 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your statement. One of the survivors from Columbine said the same thing.

Jeff Pistana Linda March 08 2014 at 9:37 AM

Except that guns are made for killing and nothing else. And a gun can kill someone from far away.

suncruzma March 08 2014 at 8:39 PM

These things are so tragic love at that age is so emotional and their will never be another. This is so tragic but at that age so real