Two teens dead in Phoenix murder-suicide

stock image of caution tape at a crime scene

PHOENIX (AP) - A teenage boy fatally shot his ex-girlfriend before turning the gun on himself at a north Phoenix home in an apparent murder-suicide, authorities said.

Phoenix police identified the two as 15-year-old Matthew Bolton and 16-year-old Anastasia "Ana" Greer. Both were sophomores at Sandra Day O'Connor High School in Phoenix.

The shooting occurred around noon Friday at a home of Greer's friend, police said.

A neighbor, Jim Friel, told The Arizona Republic (http://bit.ly/MVgruJ ) that he heard a scream and then gunshots and went across the street to the home to see what happened.

Friel said the girl had gunshot wounds to her chest and the boy a gunshot wound to his face.

Police responded to a 911 call and found both teens dead outside the home.

"It appears he shot her in the front yard and then he turned the gun on himself," said Sgt. Tommy Thompson, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Police say Bolton didn't go to school Friday and it was unclear how he got the gun, which was found on a sidewalk near the bodies.

Jud March 08 2014 at 2:02 AM

Oh man - what a shame. Prayers are needed for our children of today. It's a tough old world out here!

Rest in Peace babies, because at 15 and 16 they are still someone's babies. Prayers for the families

coachcubs March 08 2014 at 12:07 AM

Something that should never ever happen! My heart goes out to the families here

booklady1225 March 08 2014 at 8:02 AM

everyone seems to miss the point. young love or obssession is common with teenagers and they simply do not have the emotional maturity to deal with the overwhelming loss and pain that comes with a breakup. when i lost my first boyfriend at 15 i spent 3 days weeping and thinking i would never be happy again. lets not forget the kids in this while tragic as it is this happens every day. where are the loving parents to help them cope and recover?

dukie97 March 08 2014 at 8:07 AM

Why are many of those commenting talking about "how did this couple end up in such despair"? It was MURDER- suicide. A scream was heard. The boy killed the girl and then himself, it was not a suicide pact.

Debra dukie97 March 08 2014 at 12:03 PM

Thank you. You said concisely what I was thinking. Other posters who knew the teens said she had broken up with him in February. This was NOT a suicide pact and the girl's screams BEFORE the gunshots certainly proves it.

Almond March 08 2014 at 6:23 AM

Read the article closer. It said "it appears". However, that does leave the possibility that there was another person involved. Wait until the investigation is completed before raising all the issues about the boy.

surrettx2 Almond March 08 2014 at 8:32 AM

Almond Don;t you think by the gun being found on the scene close to the male body Why would some one kill two people and leave the weapon behind for finger prints are who it belong too If another person was involve and did that I would think he wants to be caught

Auntie's Mail March 08 2014 at 2:27 AM

What a tragedy both so very young. My condolances to the loved ones of these 2 teenagers. I don't know whether guns or people are the problem with guns. In our world it seems as though a weapon is the only way to protect yourself. But when guns get into the wrong hands the consequences are deadly. This is truly a very sad story.

Elizabeth Auntie's Mail March 08 2014 at 2:41 AM

In this case, it was more likely the Romeo and Juliet syndrome. Or, to bring it up to more modern times, all for love or the world well lost (Dryden, 1677).

PAUL Elizabeth March 08 2014 at 5:41 AM

I didn't get that in the story Elizabeth. One of the other commentators to this tragedy suggested the same thing. What I got from the story was that the girl had moved on and the boy couldn't let go. I'm 60 years old and my girl broke up with me during Christmas 2012 and I'm still in love with her. My girl dropped me for a homeless guy with whom she was seeing for the last year of our 5 year relationship! And I still love her. Most people wouldn't tolerate that in a million years. Love is weird.

Flag +1 rate up
rockermn March 08 2014 at 4:32 AM

I just wish the families of these two young people could have seen the signs,there had to be some kind of sign on how bad things were.Sounds like thispoor girl,took the path of braking it off and the young man did not want to accept that .I don"t know ,only it is sad it went this far..

allcgirl rockermn March 08 2014 at 4:41 AM

I'm guessing the parents weren't playing a very important role in this young mans life to begin with and be became way to obsessed with this girl because of it.

BRENDA March 08 2014 at 8:06 AM

Guns are like drugs, if a kid wants to have a gun they will find one. It the kids want drugs they will find them. There is so much preaching here about parents and how they raise their kids, most work hard to make our kids "good kids" but the parents are not the only influences is their small lives. One bad Teacher, one outside adult, one religious leader, even our government leaders do not set good examples for our youth of today.

Amber Dawn March 08 2014 at 2:58 AM

Suicide: A permanent solution to a temporary problem. But why take an innocent person with you?

nnojr March 08 2014 at 7:23 AM

Parents in cites who allow their kids unsupervised access to guns should be jailed! It's as simple as that. If you have the No, No, No don't do that parenting technique with no consequences, you are doing more damage than good. I don't care if you don't agree, that's why you are wrong, don't reply, I won't!

drpmindmender nnojr March 08 2014 at 8:50 AM

Parents ANYWHERE, in urban, suburban, or rural areas, who allow their kids unsupervised access to guns, should be jailed!