Niagara Falls looks frozen, but it's not

Niagara Falls Looks Frozen, but It's Not
If you've heard Niagara Falls is frozen over, well, HLN reports it's an ice-covered lie.

'It looks like that from the Canadian side where some of this video is blocked, but with the new hydroelectric planes built on both sides of the border, steps have been taken to keep ice from blocking the water way.'

One man described it as a an optical illusion making some think the water's at an icy standstill.

Although parts of the falls do freeze in winter, it's unlikely they'll freeze as much this winter as they have in previous years. But WGRZ reports when rumors began spreading the landmark was frozen, people flocked to the tourist site with cameras.

Niagara Falls Live reports it would be pretty remarkable if the falls really did freeze over, which is why the news caused so much excitement.

'The flow of water was stopped completely over both falls on March 29th 1848 due to an ice jam in the upper river for several hours. This is the only known time to have occurred.'

Even then, the falls weren't completely frozen over, but the flow was stopped enough that people could walk out and retrieve things from the riverbed!

Another watery landmark has seen significant freezing this year. WBBM reports 90% of Lake Michigan is covered in ice. Last year, just 20% was covered.

As for Niagara - we'll have to keep dreaming.

cnsltphoto March 08 2014 at 10:11 PM

Seriously..........how STUPID are people anyway.........where is the water going to go if the river freezes over?

There is ALWAYS movement under the ice........how could the river below the falls flow if there wasn't water coming over?

Like the video states, even in 1948 there was still water flowing over t he falls.

Back in the 50's/60's when I was there on a regular basis, huge 30' chunks of ice would break off and thunnder over the falls.........

Just more living proof of the sensationalism of our media.........

Butch March 07 2014 at 3:05 PM

I have pics from 1911 that show Niagra Falls frozen over.

cgssnavickas March 07 2014 at 3:20 PM

Who cares whether it's totally, partially or not frozen. I think it looks beautiful.

Larry 55 March 07 2014 at 4:39 PM

Ho Hum, During the 1970's when I lived by Clev Oh on the Erie, I drove around in my Diesel 4x4 Tow Truck at night seeing Banks Time 'n Temp's sign's 40- 50 Below, Radio said wind chill, 70- 80 Below, AND made a ton of money helping people w' frozen cars, In Sept. 1983 I bought another Tow Truck 4x4 w' a snow plow on the front, 'n doncha know that yr it hardly snowed, So I painted a Surfing Beach Scene Mural on the Plow, then that summer my bro in law got a opp to move to Fla, He invited me to go. Been down here since Sept 84, kids never missed school from illness, It's Boring but Pleasent here, enjoy the Ice 'n Snow Pix

bdgrizcp March 07 2014 at 5:05 PM

When I lived in east Glastonbury, CT back in the early 60's Roaring Brook had a small (10 foot or so) falls out just south of where it goes under Hebron Avenue that 'froze over' two years in a row. Water was still flowing under the ice, though. It was really amazing. Further downstream, just south of Hopewell Road is Cotton Hollow and the ice there is nothing short of mind-blowing in the winter--depending on the winter, of course.

harleygirl March 07 2014 at 5:33 PM

I love Niagra Falls Canada side of course . I want to go back so badly I love waterfalls . Cheryl

RAY March 07 2014 at 5:40 PM

Sloooooley I turned!!

IBruzEZ March 07 2014 at 5:50 PM

Hope they spent lots of money there to encourage the local economy.

vaitkusm March 07 2014 at 6:23 PM

Been to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side, BEAUTIFUL! the lights at night, make it even more spectacular.

dsandel March 07 2014 at 6:33 PM

This is the only natural stoppage. The flow over the American Falls was stopped completely and diverted over the horseshoe side for several months in 1969. The idea was to determine the feasibility of removing the large amount of loose rock from the base of the falls to enhance it's appearance. In the end the final decision was that the expense would be too great. It was strange walking out onto the riverbed at the time.

jktbbeard dsandel March 07 2014 at 9:01 PM

I remember the Falls when they were dry. It was strange, but a once in a lifetime opportunity!

wynn dsandel March 07 2014 at 9:35 PM

Ok, dsandel. The water over the American Falls was diverted in 1969 (I lived in Niagara Falls at the time) but it was to stabilize the rock at the top of the falls so it did'nt continue to crumble into a rapids, not to remove the rubble.