Man Heads to Trial Over Girl Scout Cookie Debt

Colorado Man Goes To Court For Girl Scout Cookies
Some of the sweetest cookies in America have turned into a nightmare for one man in Colorado.

Tad Osborn says he wrote a $42 check for about a dozen boxes of Girl Scout cookies last year. But six months later he received a notice informing him his check had bounced and he now owed double what he originally paid. Soon, that $84 bill turned into a lawsuit amounting to more than $700!

The Girl Scout troops bank claimed his account was closed, but Osborn told ABC News he provided documentation showing otherwise. A spokeswoman for the Girl Scouts of Colorado said typically, when a bad check is written, the organization attempts to contact the buyer, and after several failed attempts, they use a professional collection agency to get the money.

"No Girl Scout ever came to my house or left a note on my door. I was helping the Girl Scouts and now I'm having to go court over and over again and answering legal questions that I have no business answering."

Osborn is still trying to fight the collections agency and has a court date scheduled for May 8. Despite this costly experience with the troops, his daughter recently became a Girl Scout and he still buys Girl Scout cookies, just with one thing in mind...

"I'd recommend to anyone looking to buy gs cookies, pay cash!"

lxixwithu March 07 2014 at 2:39 PM

Was the check drawn on Bank of America? They are very good at bouncing checks even when there is ample money deposited to cover the check. It happened to me, that's why I will NEVER EVER bank with them again.

mlock2354 lxixwithu March 07 2014 at 2:52 PM

been a BOA customer many many years and have never had that happen, there is more to your story.

don54321 March 07 2014 at 10:49 AM

I wouldn't buy girl scout cookies anyway nothing but junk food.

donhotchkiss5 March 07 2014 at 1:09 PM

Might be better to stay away from Girl Scout cookies. The quality is not as good as the inflated price you pay.

peckart March 07 2014 at 1:07 PM

As a merchant, I know that banks charge a merchant a ridiculous fee for depositing a bad check. Our only recourse is to try to recoup the fee from the person that actually caused the problem. I can see how this could easily escalate. Who writes checks any more anyway?

BUD'S WEB PAGE March 07 2014 at 1:05 PM

They must have been real good cookies .

lenny87brown March 07 2014 at 10:51 AM

Rayne, although it is most doubtful that is your real name.

Your trolling on the internet represents an egregious abuse of public forums. Folks here generally want to note what kinds of comments a short news item engenders. Some just want to take the pulse of those who write. Others want to add their two cents. A few want to point out some inconsistencies with common sense, the gist of the item or the behavior of persons involved.

There are trolls who cast their lines and seek someone they can blast with their backlog of venom for whatever real or imagined injustice they've received. But you aren't one of them.

You are the type of troll that preys on the gullible, the naïve, the hopeful among us who hope they can find some figurative pot-of-gold at the rainbow.

"my co-worker's sister-in-law" "my cousin's neighbor" "my uncle's pool cleaner's cousin" attempt to make the advert sound personal, but fail because it isn't first person. Telling by the absence is any personal responsibility, as in "I make 87 dollars an hour on the internet." Obviously you wish to avoid those nagging little trivial questions, How did YOU do it? And more unsavory, this isn't something you, yourself, are benefitting from.

Someone making five figures working the internet for a few hours isn't keeping their clothes on. It is shameful these posts keep appearing on nearly every other page. That is why I've mocked them, flagged them as inappropriate and written this missive.

I can appreciate those who screen comments are rather busy; however, this "free expression" is HIGHLY SUSPECT and represents an unseemly blight in a public forum designed to stimulate thought and encourage the exchange of ideas relevant to the news item.

engineman3rd lenny87brown March 07 2014 at 11:04 AM

Your comment is great! I cannot stand these type of people at all. Good for you!

onemadashell March 07 2014 at 1:01 PM

Well now you can sue them for all the time and money you spent fighting this bogus charge. If the don't have the product in hand I don' t buy anything from them.

peckart onemadashell March 07 2014 at 1:12 PM

Wow ....if you can't trust the girl scouts...who do you trust. It's really not about the cookies you know. I just give the little girls a couple of bucks....don't need the cookies and at least the Bury Baking company isn't getting rich on the backs of ten year old girls and their parents.

car nut March 07 2014 at 12:57 PM

I hate it when organizations wait to cash checks. Federal law states if you write a check, it can be cashed up to one year from date of issue. Now I'm sure some states have their own laws, but as far as federal, its one year. Schools are some of the worst about cashing checks. Sometimes I wait for 4-5 months before I see the check cashed. Its ridicolous that schools are supposedly broke but take so long to cash a check. I don't buy any girlscout or boyscout items anymore. The people that run them support special interest groups and not in the interest of kids.

Hello JackAsses March 07 2014 at 12:57 PM

Don't buy them, the Girl scouts recieve 5 cents on the dollar

amongthefishes Hello JackAsses March 07 2014 at 12:58 PM

Agreed! You're better off giving the whole $3 to the GS and sparing your self the calories... The yummy, yummy calories...

gdanjoh March 07 2014 at 1:13 PM

Well isn't that a bunch of you know what. Let this be a lesson to us all. Frist of all, the girls receive little to nothing. These organizations really are out of line. We need to educate kids to how these organizations and other things run. Eventually we will all tell them to go pound sand. Someone is sitting pretty at the expense of our kids. Believe me I was a G.S mother 30 yrs ago and they weren't any better then. We were taking money out of our pockets to tribute to their activies. The sad part about it ,is they believe they are all that.....

nybodyscan gdanjoh March 07 2014 at 1:38 PM

So right! .... and why are we pimping little girls to sell sugar, which cancels ALL HCL in the stomach, suspends thousands of enzymatic functions at the liver, causes behavioral problems (100% of the time), and reduces brain function and efficiency?

My mom was a Girl Scout mom for years, and eventually gave up on them, forever draining resources. Thanks for writing honestly

rrgalvanjr nybodyscan March 07 2014 at 1:47 PM

REALLY? Your going with "cancelling HCL and causing 100% behavior problems. Put down the pipe, you don't have a clue.

Flag 0 rate up