Man Heads to Trial Over Girl Scout Cookie Debt

Colorado Man Goes To Court For Girl Scout Cookies
Some of the sweetest cookies in America have turned into a nightmare for one man in Colorado.

Tad Osborn says he wrote a $42 check for about a dozen boxes of Girl Scout cookies last year. But six months later he received a notice informing him his check had bounced and he now owed double what he originally paid. Soon, that $84 bill turned into a lawsuit amounting to more than $700!

The Girl Scout troops bank claimed his account was closed, but Osborn told ABC News he provided documentation showing otherwise. A spokeswoman for the Girl Scouts of Colorado said typically, when a bad check is written, the organization attempts to contact the buyer, and after several failed attempts, they use a professional collection agency to get the money.

"No Girl Scout ever came to my house or left a note on my door. I was helping the Girl Scouts and now I'm having to go court over and over again and answering legal questions that I have no business answering."

Osborn is still trying to fight the collections agency and has a court date scheduled for May 8. Despite this costly experience with the troops, his daughter recently became a Girl Scout and he still buys Girl Scout cookies, just with one thing in mind...

"I'd recommend to anyone looking to buy gs cookies, pay cash!"

don54321 March 07 2014 at 10:49 AM

I wouldn't buy girl scout cookies anyway nothing but junk food.

aerofanz March 07 2014 at 11:17 AM

So a TV news crew actually went to his house to discuss this cookie caper? Then AOL decided it was news and ran with it. The only thing I can think of that worries me more is that I have taken the time to comment...........

bmahaffey123 March 07 2014 at 3:53 PM

I quit buying GS cookies - it's a rip-off. The GS makes very little from the sale of a box of cookies. I give directly to the troup, That way the GS gets the benefit of the full amount.

DON March 07 2014 at 11:18 AM

The comments that are being made about how much is earned on the internet are a bunch of BS. Theyu should be taken off the comment section and the writers should be removed from being able to make these statements............they are not true.

thosholzel March 07 2014 at 3:51 PM

As usual, we are not even getting half the story....

jmcwholesale March 07 2014 at 3:48 PM

Geez, what is the world coming to? Lawsuit over a $42 check.... AND.... it's the Girl Scouts.

Joe W. Cadwell March 07 2014 at 11:21 AM

Bad review.
Did the check clear his bank?
Was it a bad Chleck ?
Was there money in his account to cover the check?

Augie313 March 07 2014 at 3:37 PM

This is another example of what happens when lawyers smell cash. What started out as a minor mistake that could easily have been settled has now escalated into a legal feeding frenzy. Now lawyers are needed by both sides to settle matter. The scouts will eventually get their $42. The collection agency will demand a fee. The court will demand a fee. Osborn's legal expenses will need to be paid. And the only people who will come out ahead will be the members of the bar. Moral: send your kid to law school. Nobody will like him but other lawyers but nobody will have nerve enough to say so.

larrysorrell Augie313 March 07 2014 at 3:39 PM

Why would you think that lawyers like lawyers more than the general population does?

callie102403 March 07 2014 at 3:32 PM

wonder why it took so long to come back anyways shouls have been a week maby

betty March 07 2014 at 11:24 AM

I worked as a temp job for the Girl Scouts in Gastonia, NC. The checking account had not been balanced in over a year. I had never, ever seen such a mess and I have been a bookkeeper for 30 years! I finally walked out! It was the worst run organization I had ever worked for and I was a temp!
There was a lot of wrong junk going on there. Like missing money, etc. Don't give to the Girl Scouts!