Man Heads to Trial Over Girl Scout Cookie Debt

Colorado Man Goes To Court For Girl Scout Cookies
Some of the sweetest cookies in America have turned into a nightmare for one man in Colorado.

Tad Osborn says he wrote a $42 check for about a dozen boxes of Girl Scout cookies last year. But six months later he received a notice informing him his check had bounced and he now owed double what he originally paid. Soon, that $84 bill turned into a lawsuit amounting to more than $700!

The Girl Scout troops bank claimed his account was closed, but Osborn told ABC News he provided documentation showing otherwise. A spokeswoman for the Girl Scouts of Colorado said typically, when a bad check is written, the organization attempts to contact the buyer, and after several failed attempts, they use a professional collection agency to get the money.

"No Girl Scout ever came to my house or left a note on my door. I was helping the Girl Scouts and now I'm having to go court over and over again and answering legal questions that I have no business answering."

Osborn is still trying to fight the collections agency and has a court date scheduled for May 8. Despite this costly experience with the troops, his daughter recently became a Girl Scout and he still buys Girl Scout cookies, just with one thing in mind...

"I'd recommend to anyone looking to buy gs cookies, pay cash!"

Nut T 1 March 08 2014 at 1:56 AM

Walmart sells the same cookies at 1/3 the price, buy at Walmart and give the Girl Scouts a buck....

vancurren March 08 2014 at 2:32 AM

My take on this is, if you write an organization a check and they fail to cash it or process it properly, it's their fault.

Typically, a bank will notify a customer via phone, text, letter or e-mail that their account is over drawn and that a check bounced. Often times there are bank overdraft fees imposed, which will show up in a statement.

So if the Girl Scouts can not or will not provide documentation (dates, times, methods) of attempts to contact the buyer and/or proof of a bounced check, then the NSF issue doesn't exist. They must have had some notice before contacting the buyer.

If the Scouts want to run the organization as a business, then handle it in a professional manner. Simply saying a buyer bounced a check doesn't make it true. And blithley handing it over for collection is poor customer service.

shigesmokey12 March 08 2014 at 1:31 AM

Instead of racking up $700 in legal fees, I would've paid the $84, THEN go after my bank.

momhei March 08 2014 at 12:16 AM

The Girl Scout Councel should have re-deposited the check, which they can do once.

MANUELITO momhei March 08 2014 at 12:39 AM

exactly!!!

sterling reg. March 07 2014 at 11:24 PM

I had No Problem . Paid The Girl Scouts with Cash....

Ray Lugo Jr. March 08 2014 at 12:32 AM

I won't buy them ever again!

gkhoward01 March 08 2014 at 12:18 AM

Keebler has the solution to the Girl Scout cookies... Over the last few years Keebller has come out with a little competition to the GS cookies...they are called Coconut Dreams (the equivalent of the GS Samoas) and the Grasshopper (Thin Mints)...and they are delicious. They are also sold year round in your local grocery store. Here in Northern Virginia, outside DC, they run about 2.50 a box.

Just a thought for those like me who love the samoas and thin mints but refuse to pay the outrageous prices..btwy, the prices vary depending on the affluency of the area where the GS cookies are sold... A friend of mine lives in a more rural section of Virginia..they were charging $2.75 a box, while here in Northern Virginia they charged $4.00 a box (not all of us are lobbyists and congressional staffers etc)..lol. Anyway...my wishes for all....be happy, be healthy and be aware that even those you have never met hope for a positive life for you.......

MANUELITO gkhoward01 March 08 2014 at 12:38 AM

thanks!! best wishes and good luck to you too; and yes, you can find those cookies at Walmart, too.

Blastmsco March 08 2014 at 1:44 AM

hope he wins and countersues the girltarts

rude March 08 2014 at 1:13 AM

Now that Thin MInts are down to less than the size of a Kennedy half dollar I'll pass.

sajwife March 07 2014 at 10:31 PM

As a past Cookie Chairman, I always had grief over the way money was handled. I can't name specifics after all this time, but I remember what a nightmare getting payments to the headquarters each week, and always wondering if headquarters accounting would match mine. It simply does not surprise me this happened. Six months? Sheesh, this man does not deserve such treatment over some boxes of cookies.

rick sajwife March 07 2014 at 11:22 PM

i wonder why it would take 6 months for them to say the check bounced

Hello Patricia! sajwife March 08 2014 at 12:16 AM

That's eight boxes of cookies. At what price is it okay to cheat you out of money?