Man Heads to Trial Over Girl Scout Cookie Debt

Colorado Man Goes To Court For Girl Scout Cookies
Some of the sweetest cookies in America have turned into a nightmare for one man in Colorado.

Tad Osborn says he wrote a $42 check for about a dozen boxes of Girl Scout cookies last year. But six months later he received a notice informing him his check had bounced and he now owed double what he originally paid. Soon, that $84 bill turned into a lawsuit amounting to more than $700!

The Girl Scout troops bank claimed his account was closed, but Osborn told ABC News he provided documentation showing otherwise. A spokeswoman for the Girl Scouts of Colorado said typically, when a bad check is written, the organization attempts to contact the buyer, and after several failed attempts, they use a professional collection agency to get the money.

"No Girl Scout ever came to my house or left a note on my door. I was helping the Girl Scouts and now I'm having to go court over and over again and answering legal questions that I have no business answering."

Osborn is still trying to fight the collections agency and has a court date scheduled for May 8. Despite this costly experience with the troops, his daughter recently became a Girl Scout and he still buys Girl Scout cookies, just with one thing in mind...

"I'd recommend to anyone looking to buy gs cookies, pay cash!"

Augie313 March 07 2014 at 3:37 PM

This is another example of what happens when lawyers smell cash. What started out as a minor mistake that could easily have been settled has now escalated into a legal feeding frenzy. Now lawyers are needed by both sides to settle matter. The scouts will eventually get their $42. The collection agency will demand a fee. The court will demand a fee. Osborn's legal expenses will need to be paid. And the only people who will come out ahead will be the members of the bar. Moral: send your kid to law school. Nobody will like him but other lawyers but nobody will have nerve enough to say so.

larrysorrell Augie313 March 07 2014 at 3:39 PM

Why would you think that lawyers like lawyers more than the general population does?

jerseytoto March 07 2014 at 1:24 PM

I still write checks for everything because I don't trust the Internet to keep my personal data from being hacked just as I know our medical records aren't going to be safe once the ACA starts to put our medical data on line.

giaw66666 March 07 2014 at 1:17 PM

I helped a neighbor who was a boyscout, bought something from him, paid cash, and never received it. Hmm, what do ya think happened there?

rdz69 giaw66666 March 07 2014 at 1:26 PM

he ate your cookies..............

nybodyscan rdz69 March 07 2014 at 1:41 PM

Hahahahahahahaha. Thank you for the levity. I love to laugh at witty comments. Spot on!

Flag 0 rate up
peckart March 07 2014 at 1:16 PM

we all need to consider just giving the scouts a two or three dollar donation. Why does it have to be about cookies. They make a very small profit on a box of cookies. The only one that really profits is the bakery. That being said I love the thin mints and the chocolate caramel thingies

yhktdc peckart March 07 2014 at 1:25 PM

Dollar General and Family Dollar sell thin mints and the caramel thingies then I give the girls some moey

lindahsrman March 07 2014 at 1:13 PM

great idea that I do for them

gdanjoh March 07 2014 at 1:13 PM

Well isn't that a bunch of you know what. Let this be a lesson to us all. Frist of all, the girls receive little to nothing. These organizations really are out of line. We need to educate kids to how these organizations and other things run. Eventually we will all tell them to go pound sand. Someone is sitting pretty at the expense of our kids. Believe me I was a G.S mother 30 yrs ago and they weren't any better then. We were taking money out of our pockets to tribute to their activies. The sad part about it ,is they believe they are all that.....

nybodyscan gdanjoh March 07 2014 at 1:38 PM

So right! .... and why are we pimping little girls to sell sugar, which cancels ALL HCL in the stomach, suspends thousands of enzymatic functions at the liver, causes behavioral problems (100% of the time), and reduces brain function and efficiency?

My mom was a Girl Scout mom for years, and eventually gave up on them, forever draining resources. Thanks for writing honestly

rrgalvanjr nybodyscan March 07 2014 at 1:47 PM

REALLY? Your going with "cancelling HCL and causing 100% behavior problems. Put down the pipe, you don't have a clue.

Flag 0 rate up
donhotchkiss5 March 07 2014 at 1:09 PM

Might be better to stay away from Girl Scout cookies. The quality is not as good as the inflated price you pay.

peckart March 07 2014 at 1:07 PM

As a merchant, I know that banks charge a merchant a ridiculous fee for depositing a bad check. Our only recourse is to try to recoup the fee from the person that actually caused the problem. I can see how this could easily escalate. Who writes checks any more anyway?

jdollinter March 07 2014 at 11:03 AM

Who decides which girl gets the supermarket concessions usually run by Moms with a token GS nearby, they must make $Thousands ?

Michelle jdollinter March 07 2014 at 11:37 AM

In our area "cookie booth" locations and times are divided out to troops by a lottery. The times are two hour increments and the girls in the troop have to commit to a sign up sheet which is in one hour slots and all have to take part through out the cookie selling season. We learned that having more than two scouts at one site at a time makes it too easy for them to be goofing off and not focused on what their job is - to sell cookies. As a TROOP we made 25 cents for every box we sold. I was a GS Mom selling cookies from 2001-2013. Take a dozen girls selling, and their parents and the cookie booth sales and a TROOPS goal could be 2K after 6 weeks of selling. Some years you make it and some years you don't. Personally I'm glad it's over for me.

BUD'S WEB PAGE March 07 2014 at 1:05 PM

They must have been real good cookies .

1414262064634