Toddler suspended from day care for bringing a cheese sandwich

Toddler Suspended from Day Care for Bringing a Cheese Sandwich
A 2-year-old has been suspended from daycare because she brought a cheese sandwich along with her. HLN has the details.

'The daycare in Ottawa, Canada, says it doesn't allow outside food to protect kids who have allergies there. The little girl's dad said he didn't know she had taken the sandwich with her.'

Faith's father, Randy Murray, told CBC he didn't even realize his daughter had the sandwich with her when walking into the daycare center.

'She was two steps in, one of the teachers had saw it, handed it back to me, and then the next thing I know, I'm told we're suspended for three days.'

Murray says he didn't know about the food policy, and although it was written in French on a sign, he doesn't speak the language well.

The daycare's director told the Ottawa Sun all parents are made aware of the rule before registering their children and that the center has also reminded parents about the rule in the school's monthly newsletters.

The punishment could have been worse, though. Ottawa Sun says the school's food policy states children will be kicked out of the daycare if they bring any food with nuts into the school.

Murray says he's considering pulling Faith and his 4-year-old son from the daycare facility.

cgssnavickas March 07 2014 at 12:30 PM

This has totally gotten out of control with the allergy patrols they now have. When I was in grade school there was not choice but to bring your lunch. Sounds like the school is taking over the parenting. It's up to the parents to make sure their child doesn't eat or drink what they are allergic too.

cgssnavickas cgssnavickas March 07 2014 at 12:37 PM

My apologies, it should have read "they are allergic TO."

cgssnavickas cgssnavickas March 07 2014 at 1:49 PM

Let me try this ONE more time:

This has totally gotten out of control with the allergy "patrols" the schools now have. When I was in grade school there was no choice but to bring your own lunch. It sounds like the school is taking over the parenting. It's up to the parents to make sure their child doesn't eat or dring what they are allergic to.

patriciaaellis March 07 2014 at 12:56 PM

What a crock. I wouldn't be putting my kids in a place like that. It sounds like a concentration camp. I wonder what the cost to send a kid there? I'd be taking my kids out because with rules like that, I'd hate to see what the kids go through when the parent isn't watching. Sounds like an angry group who should be working in a prison. Rules are great but why suspend the 2yr old? She doesn't have a clue and I'm sure she can't read and look at the burden it puts on the parents who have to work. They have to find somewhere to put their kids for three days or take off work. That doesn't make sense. If they suspend the kid then take three days off of the cost for the month so they can pay for another sitter.

adamadvent2005 March 07 2014 at 12:57 PM

In a word, RIDICULOUS!!!

biker82112 March 07 2014 at 1:00 PM

2 years old, and has a record already. I guess her life will never be the same.

Maureen Kuhlmann March 07 2014 at 1:01 PM

I am so sick of this stuff happening.

Ruths March 07 2014 at 1:04 PM

I get the whole allergy thing...but she had just stepped in, and it was caught on time. I think its a little extreme the suspension but it is what it is I guess... the father also should have know the rules.

lotus5270 March 07 2014 at 1:06 PM

It was caught and I say just reiterate that issue to all parents. Why should the child be punished?

redband March 07 2014 at 1:06 PM

Find another daycare.

Bill March 07 2014 at 1:08 PM

A note to the parents for the first time offense would have done more then the suspension.

ae12wrangell March 07 2014 at 1:09 PM

Since the parent does not parlez-vous France', is it fair, and just that the toddler be suspended? However, if the 'rules and regs' were writen in French and English, all this could have been avoded.