More and more couples getting 'sleep divorces'

Sleep Divorce: Couples Are Choosing to Sleep in Separate Rooms

Sleep divorce. Yep, it's a real thing according to 'Fox and Friends.' The hosts sat down with Dr. Carol Ash, director of sleep medicine at Meridian Health, to talk about a growing trend: couples choosing to sleep in separate rooms.

'Sleep is so important. and if you're really not sleeping well together, it's going to have an impact on your relationship. It really is ... so it's a problem for many couples. I mean think about it, you get up the next day, you're cranky.'

"Fox & Friends" reports 25 percent of couples in the U.S. have opted for this so-called 'sleep divorce,' which is commonly due to sleep interruptions. As Psychology Today notes, factors preventing couples from getting good sleep include: different sleep schedules, disrupted sleep, poor sleep equipment and sleep environment, divergent sleep habits and conflicts over co-sleeping.

We've heard about this before. Last year, Dr. Roshini Raj spoke with the anchors of the 'TODAY' show about sleeping apart:

'Sleep specialists actually say sleeping by yourself is better for your sleep quality. You're not disturbed by your partner moving or making a lot of noises, so this is not necessarily a bad sign.'

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports there has even been an increase in demand for new homes to have two separate master bedrooms. So ... have a snoring partner? Maybe it's OK to kick 'em to the couch.

missimin March 06 2014 at 11:58 AM

My husband had sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. For us it was either separate bedrooms or separate houses.

ldlamb400 March 06 2014 at 2:09 PM

Interesting article. We have been married 20 years and have slept separately for at least 18 years due to my snoring. We would love to sleep in the same bed, but neither one gets any sleep - we periodically try. I don't consider this a sleep 'divorce', it is a happy marriage and we share everything else. Do whatever helps your marriage work for both of you.

michaelnel4449 March 06 2014 at 2:13 PM

We did about 5 yrs ago, because of farting, snorting and snoring and it wasn't always me.....

Marc and Cheryl March 06 2014 at 2:38 PM

hahahahaha! I thought it was just us! Married 23 years, we had to come to a place of "sleep divorce" as well. It wasn't this drastic....as my hubby could NEVER sleep without me in bed with him. But, we got a new bed this year. A really good quality bed with a protector for the mattress. Its a good one but it still doesn't breath well. We also had bought a very spendy new comforter for it. And even when it was its coldest out....I was SO FREAKING HOT! And my hubby would throw all the blankets on me. We were having war every night! I know, ridiculous reason to fight. But it was bad. Finally, we decided to divorce......in sleep. We threw the new comforter on the ground at night, he added a smaller blanket to his side and TADA!!!! We had solved the issue. That night, we sat my daughter down and said..."your dad and I have decided to get a divorce" She looked at us like we were nuts.....and then we told her we were having a sleep divorce! Ha....she thought that was very funny. I thought we were so unique, but obviously we werent.

Tom March 06 2014 at 2:38 PM

Was married and slept with her for 23 years till she ran away with her new boyfriend... If I knew then how wonderful it was(is) to sleep by myself I would have introduced the two of them years earlier.

sacibee March 06 2014 at 2:38 PM

I haven't slept in the same bed with my husband in almost three years, and it has been wonderful.
He snores, farts, moves around, nasty clearing of the throat, ladies you get it. I like to stay up nights after he goes to bed. I read, write, watch late night TV. I love sleeping on the couch. My Border collie sleeps better with me than my husband does.

Tommy March 06 2014 at 2:42 PM

My EX wife told me we would never have separate beds or otherwise, then proceeded to sleep in a separate room for 11 years of marriage. I have to say, I prefer the idea of sleeping in different HOUSES much better than separate rooms!

oujoou March 06 2014 at 2:50 PM

One comment below is totally dead on. A pet is MUCH better to sleep with. Sometimes I would accidentally roll over on to my cat. :( So . . . not sure he felt the same way though. :(

AGGIEBABA March 06 2014 at 2:54 PM

It really doesn't matter where you sleep, since there is no communication between partners when sleeping. The only time it would be a problem is if it affects the intimate relationship.

ambonding March 06 2014 at 3:06 PM

Sex and sleep are two diifferent issues. As long as you make regular visits to each others room before sleep.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal