More and more couples getting 'sleep divorces'

Sleep Divorce: Couples Are Choosing to Sleep in Separate Rooms

Sleep divorce. Yep, it's a real thing according to 'Fox and Friends.' The hosts sat down with Dr. Carol Ash, director of sleep medicine at Meridian Health, to talk about a growing trend: couples choosing to sleep in separate rooms.

'Sleep is so important. and if you're really not sleeping well together, it's going to have an impact on your relationship. It really is ... so it's a problem for many couples. I mean think about it, you get up the next day, you're cranky.'

"Fox & Friends" reports 25 percent of couples in the U.S. have opted for this so-called 'sleep divorce,' which is commonly due to sleep interruptions. As Psychology Today notes, factors preventing couples from getting good sleep include: different sleep schedules, disrupted sleep, poor sleep equipment and sleep environment, divergent sleep habits and conflicts over co-sleeping.

We've heard about this before. Last year, Dr. Roshini Raj spoke with the anchors of the 'TODAY' show about sleeping apart:

'Sleep specialists actually say sleeping by yourself is better for your sleep quality. You're not disturbed by your partner moving or making a lot of noises, so this is not necessarily a bad sign.'

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports there has even been an increase in demand for new homes to have two separate master bedrooms. So ... have a snoring partner? Maybe it's OK to kick 'em to the couch.

sandyswil March 06 2014 at 5:04 PM

Whatever works…..
I say…..Sleep on it:)
just may save your relationship.

msdrtmover March 06 2014 at 1:01 PM

My husband and I are considering separate rooms. He works nights out of town and comes home once a month for a couple of days at a time. We're very happy and divorce is not in the picture, but we're just used to sleeping alone. And unfortunately, it seems that since I've gotten older, I'm the one that's developed the snoring problem, not my hubby!

SAND REBLE ! msdrtmover March 06 2014 at 1:12 PM

its helped my wife and i for last 2 years

namaste319 March 06 2014 at 6:22 PM

Married almost 20 years, and have never slept in the same bed as my husband=happy, well-rested me.

Bulma March 06 2014 at 7:09 PM

My boyfriend and I sleep in different beds. I was miserable when we slept next to each other. He's a furnace and I like my bed cool. I get up to use the restroom and wake him up or vise versa. The first night we slept separately he was mopey. The next day I felt amazing. A few days later he said he even felt better. We were finally getting real rest.

jjbwnyc March 06 2014 at 12:43 PM

thats awesome. personally i think its best. i like my own space. but it is nice sometimes to be in bed with my loved one. maybe a new design trend for the master bedroom will be like a hotel suite where you have a common sitting room then seperate sleeping rooms.

kaykay44kay jjbwnyc March 06 2014 at 1:29 PM

haha I think that's cool idea but I still think its best to stay in one bed with your boo :)

brandma6585 March 06 2014 at 12:27 PM

When you sleep with a snorer so loud it will wake someone in the next room - then yes you sleep in seperate rooms. Or someone who is a chronic insomina sufferer that stays up until 4am - so don't judge until you've been there. And WHY are we talking about what goes on in bedrooms (other than sex) - is it a slow news day?

Pleazantry March 06 2014 at 12:20 PM

My husband of 11 years and I have seperate bedrooms, but we definitely are not on any road to divorce. He has bad legs and uses a sofa in his game room he adores, which is firm and perfect for him, and he can swing his legs over the back of it for levitation. I prefer the soft and sink-in feeling and my bed suits me as well. Not only is he able to deck his room out in his fashionable way, I am given the same luxury. His room is decked out in a fantasy sci-fi lore filled with dragons and mythology. He loves the color blue. I prefer black and white. My room is designed in a NYCity motiff complete with floor to ceiling mural and straight, clean lines. He also requires a fan to constantly be running in the background for white noise, and I desire a very quiet room to sleep. He likes his room to be pitch black when he sleeps and uses such curtains that block out all light. I enjoy an open airy room and use a nightlight at night. So me and our 2 dogs and 2 cats sleep together and my husband sleeps alone in his room. He has to have his room door closed and I need mine open. Being married does not mean one must do everything together. I used to make a fuss over the situation, but if him being able to sleep the way he wishes helps to relive some of the pain in his legs, who am I to demand him otherwise? I'd rather him happy and in comfort then to suffer all day long due to some perceived societal rule. I'm happy. He's happy. This works for us. :)

snapperfi March 06 2014 at 12:14 PM

how about kicking her out to the couch

bjredmond64 March 06 2014 at 12:06 PM

my hubby and i slept seperate for 23 years. we thought we didnt sleep well together. then, we got a king sized bed and tried it together, again. we love it! plenty of room and wonderful to be near each other again. intamacy returned and tender goodnights. try the kingsize...put two twins together, but try it before you give up.

amazing grace bjredmond64 March 06 2014 at 12:55 PM

Good for u & ur hubby!! This proves why so many marriages or relationships go down the drain because those who will not welcome change or AT LEAST

amazing grace amazing grace March 06 2014 at 12:58 PM

Sorry, I did not finish the previous post that ended with AT LEAST: point is couples should ALWAYS use what works for them and not just give in to the stereotypes of what a relationship or marriage SHOULD be.

Flag 0 rate up
chasesea March 06 2014 at 12:03 PM

Not surprised. Don't know how anyone can sleep next to "snoring" which is probably the #1 offender.....ugh. I would move to another room, too.