Fla. Police Arrest Couple For Meth, Find 3 Kids In Woods

Fla. Police Arrest Couple For Meth, Find 3 Kids In Woods

Cold, hungry and dirty. Police in Florida say they found three children - the oldest of them 10 - wandering in woods near Punta Gorda. But by that point, other deputies had already found the kids' parents.

"Police originally arrested Michael and Sarah Butcher for illegally parking their truck in a private RV park. Good thing because just a short while later, they got a call that these three kids were found wandering the woods. They were ages six, eight and 10." (Via WCPO)

The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office says investigators believe the three children got away from Mom and Dad while the couple was smoking meth, and the family was living out of their truck filled with syringes and old food.

Deputies arrested Michael and Sarah Butcher after residents of that RV park called police saying the couple was acting strange, one man saying the husband appeared high. (Via New York Daily News)

The woods where police found the children are two miles from where deputies arrested their parents. WZVN in nearby Fort Myers reports it's unclear just how the children were abandoned and got so far away, but it was enough to anger residents at the RV park.

KAREN TAYLOR: "To drop your kids off in the woods ... It's, it's awful."
ARTHUR GIASSON: "That's terrible these young children have to put up with a couple of parents that are that neglectful of them." (Via WZVN)

WZVN reports police arrested Michael and Sarah Butcher for loitering and prowling and meth possession, and prosecutors have since charged the couple with child neglect. The children are in protective custody.

kpamesa March 05 2014 at 5:03 PM

You need a license to legally drive a car, you need a license to get married, can anyone PLEASE explain why anyone can have a child WITHOUT any repercussions???? These 3 children need to be permanently removed from their "parents" custody and put up for adoption....hopefully some wonderful people will be willing to give them a fighting chance at a good life.

rwilliamhoward kpamesa March 05 2014 at 5:35 PM

OK, but they MUST be adopted TOGETHER. It would not be the least bit fair to split them up.

mirthapineiro March 05 2014 at 11:37 PM

I hate drugs and I hate the parents who neglect their children .

LL March 05 2014 at 2:49 PM

BUTCHER the likes of the BUTCHERS to death, for all to see - and WATCH how other meth head parents think twice !!! .....

speedyneutrino83 March 05 2014 at 2:49 PM

People who force children to live this way should be publicly flogged. When I had kids, I worked for low wages at some awful jobs but at least my kids had a good place to live and plenty of food, with the help of my wife. I finally pulled my way out of poverty with a good education. I wasn't, as my Dad used to say, "throwing my money up a 'gator's ass" for drugs. Yes, I'm from Florida.

turismoeric March 05 2014 at 2:48 PM

Proof that drug abuse is NOT a victimless crime.

Auntie's Mail March 05 2014 at 2:36 PM

Child neglect & endangerment are serious charges. These parents cared more about getting high than caring for their 3 children. With all of the parents who would give anything to have a child & this couple neglected theirs ~ what's wrong with this world. These children need & deserve to be with a loving family that will love, provide for & be responsible for them. This couple need to be in jail & throw away the key! Children's Protective Services must step up & do what is in the best interest of these children ~ place them in a loving home.

gudtip March 05 2014 at 2:23 PM

Parents like that do not deserve to have their children back, I wish the best to thosde children God Bless Them

scorpian777 March 05 2014 at 2:19 PM

Just lock these two for ever!! What a disgrace the poor children hope they will be well cared for in future!!

lindamermaid March 05 2014 at 2:18 PM

I maintain my belief that all people should have to pass a test (or 3) before being allowed to have children - mental, physical and financial. If that had been the rule years ago - I wouldn't be here and neither would my kids! XD

barbara March 05 2014 at 2:07 PM

people like that should neve be allowed to have children and should havethe highst law done to them

World Series