Biker paralyzed in New York road rage incident speaks out

Biker Paralyzed In N.Y. Road Rage Incident Speaks Out

The man run over in last year's biker road rage incident sat down with NBC Wednesday to talk about how he's been doing since getting injured in the video that has gone viral.

The video first got attention online last fall. In it, the driver speeds away from a gang of bikers who end up chasing him and beating him up on the streets of New York. Before speeding off, the driver appears to run over a man named Edwin Mieses.

In an exclusive interview, Mieses told NBC he doesn't blame the driver for the accident that left him paralyzed.

"No, I don't blame him. I don't blame him because at the end of the day, I'm not him to know what was going through his mind."

The Star-Ledger says the 32-year-old was one of more than 20 bikers who surrounded Alexian Lien's Range Rover after he allegedly bumped into one of the bikers. Mieses told NBC he only knew two or three of the bikers in the group.

So far no charges have been filed against Lien, who was also injured when several bikers began beating him up after a high-speed chase.

The New York Daily News reports the injuries won't leave Lien "permanently disfigured."

Mieses' attorney, Gloria Allred, told NBC she wants the local prosecutor to take a close look at what happened before deciding whether to charge Lien. Allred also said filing a lawsuit against Lien isn't off the table.

redchips March 06 2014 at 4:51 PM

Can enough bad things be said about Gloria "Is the camera on" Allred?

mrtaxattorney March 06 2014 at 11:00 AM

Anyone who hires Gloria Allred is probably also suffering from brain damage

What's up G? March 06 2014 at 11:02 AM

Car versus Motorcycle...Car always wins.

wehaulsmall March 06 2014 at 11:02 AM

Let me start with I am a biker. I rode motorcycles for 30 years. In 2000 I lost my leg to a motorcycle accident where I was run over by a 17 year old kid that ran a red light. I watched this story very closely and the guy in the minivan was completely justified in what he did, he was in fear for his life and the lives of his family. I have ridden in large groups and we ride 2 by 2 in a single lane not all over the road weaving in and out or surrounding vehicles like the group in this story did. I would have done the same thing the driver in this story did. The group in this story are not bikers or motorcycle enthusiasts, they were plain street thugs and got what they deserved.

m3solution March 06 2014 at 4:12 PM

Gloria Allred represents all that is wrong with the legal system. She is a poster child for tort reform. A true bottom feeder. Anymore I don't even have to look at who she's representing. If she represents them........they are either worthless or easily convinced she can get them unwarranted money. I have no idea how someone like Allred can look themselves in the mirror.

The next time you think your insurance premiums are too much, it's no the big bad insurance companies, it's leeches like Allred.

I too and a biker and have been for 40 years. How anyone could possibly say this isn't the biker's fault?

That said, I feel bad for the biker injured. We all do something stupid every once in a while. Some of our stupidity is worse than others. When I do that, I own up to it. Trying to parlay it into moey is wrong on many levels.

kwhodges March 06 2014 at 11:04 AM

I am truly sorry this man was so gravely injured in this incident but it was a situation that he and his fellow bikers created. Had everyone just shared the road peacefully, none of this would have happened.

Bruce Broughton kwhodges March 06 2014 at 11:19 AM

Sorry for him? He, and the punks he road with, caused this. If anything, Mieses was the victim of his own stupidity, and criminal activity. He got the short end of being an idiot. Blame his buddies, too.

rmmjthomas March 06 2014 at 11:06 AM

What wasn't mentioned in the interview is that he wasn't licensed. His Massachusetts license was revoked until 2017. See below:

"Edwin Mieses, who was reportedly paralyzed by SUV driver Alexis Lien on Sunday, apparently never applied for a motorcycle license in Massachusetts and has not been licensed to drive in the state since 1999, according to police and driving records cited by CBS New York. His right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017.

In 2001, he was sentenced to jail for driving without a license, according to court records reviewed by The Boston Herald.

However, Mieses' run-ins with law enforcement go beyond traffic violations: His criminal record is six pages long and includes convictions for drugs, guns, attaching plates and destruction of property, The Herald notes."

dbrother1 rmmjthomas March 06 2014 at 11:24 AM

The devil's in the details.

dbrother1 rmmjthomas March 06 2014 at 11:30 AM

Another huge aspect to this whole situation is the cops that were involved. You know, the 1 or 2...then 3 or 4...off-duty...undercover...then corrections officers...then back to 1 or 2 cops. Total whitewash on that aspect. Mieses wil pay for the rest of his life for what happened on that day. Too strong a penalty? That is debatable. When I watch the vid and photos of them attacking and pulling Lien out and beating him...and the fact that the bikers were attempting to pull the wife out as well, that attack (from beginning to end) was an orchestrated violent attack against helpless civilians. Do I smell RICO in all this?
I think the public needs to know the full poop of exactly how may cops were involved and in what capacity. Mieses is secondary and just a distraction from the real issue.

mcrebel March 06 2014 at 11:09 AM

Rode a bike for many many many years and the bottom line is...if you act like a punk you can't complain about what you get.

I do commend Edwin Mieses for being a man and doing the right thing now.

rdcarruth March 06 2014 at 4:11 PM

Road Rage? Hardly. More like run for your life. Not sure the driver needs any forgiveness in this case. The bikers on the other hand, at least those who caused or participated in the terrorizing of a family could use a good bit......along with some jail time.

adamyaz March 07 2014 at 9:07 PM

If he wasn't part of a gang trying to terrorize a family in a vehicle he wouldn't be there today. Sometimes when you do bad things, bad things happen to you.