Biker paralyzed in New York road rage incident speaks out

Biker Paralyzed In N.Y. Road Rage Incident Speaks Out

The man run over in last year's biker road rage incident sat down with NBC Wednesday to talk about how he's been doing since getting injured in the video that has gone viral.

The video first got attention online last fall. In it, the driver speeds away from a gang of bikers who end up chasing him and beating him up on the streets of New York. Before speeding off, the driver appears to run over a man named Edwin Mieses.

In an exclusive interview, Mieses told NBC he doesn't blame the driver for the accident that left him paralyzed.

"No, I don't blame him. I don't blame him because at the end of the day, I'm not him to know what was going through his mind."

The Star-Ledger says the 32-year-old was one of more than 20 bikers who surrounded Alexian Lien's Range Rover after he allegedly bumped into one of the bikers. Mieses told NBC he only knew two or three of the bikers in the group.

So far no charges have been filed against Lien, who was also injured when several bikers began beating him up after a high-speed chase.

The New York Daily News reports the injuries won't leave Lien "permanently disfigured."

Mieses' attorney, Gloria Allred, told NBC she wants the local prosecutor to take a close look at what happened before deciding whether to charge Lien. Allred also said filing a lawsuit against Lien isn't off the table.

Angela March 06 2014 at 10:24 AM

I'm still wondering if Alexian or his wife tried to call 911 to get the cops there. I haven't heard if they did or not. That paralyzed guy is lucky he's not dead!

elhambone March 06 2014 at 3:52 PM

Didn't know what was going through his mind? Now that is absolutely hilarious, if about 100% disingenuous. How about "petrified"? Good work on your coaching, Gloria.

Gloria Allred. Who'd have EVER guessed? And with NBC, the perfect combination.

Allred should sue every putt-putt punk in that gang. But that's not how she rolls.

It was a terrorist act, maybe the FBI and DHS should get involved.

emberbb March 06 2014 at 3:52 PM

The whole situation is sad. The driver of the car probably was scared for himself and family and tried to drive away. As far as the paralyzed motorcyclist, I would not be that nice, but he may be scared, also, or is hiding something. A group of motorcycle drivers can consist of some great men and women that enjoy the so-called sport. On the other hand, a group of motorcyclists can consist of wild, uncaring people that are considered dangerous to anyone driving near them; often they are gang members.

pd052448 March 06 2014 at 3:45 PM

Hey, let's all sue everybody who threatens grievious bodily harm against someone else. The American Way, right? Victims don't have the rights that perps have.

Lisa A. Santos March 06 2014 at 10:44 AM

I've been on the LIE and the rice burners seem to come flying out of nowhere and pop wheelies. I've heard them on the jackie Robinson in summer at 2AM it sounds like a hoard of giant bees they must be flying on the turns. The people on ATV's and dirt bikes think they are riding toys and have no responsibility if you purchase one of these vehicles do you have to register them and get a license,maybe its time for that!They are road hogs and A MENACE TO SOCIETY!

David S. March 06 2014 at 3:42 PM

I cannot fault the driver.......he had his family in the car, and angry bikers were surrounding them and threatening their safety.
New York City is no place for a biker rally! Even on the weekends traffic can be horrendous.

petsinger David S. March 06 2014 at 3:56 PM

Why fault the people in large cities?
Darling, I love you, but give me Park Avenue.

City people can WALK most places.
Yousuburbanites HAVE to drive, and If a gang of motorcyclists was being reckless everywhere around MY car, I'm sure my (gay) family would be my highest priority.
Since this incident, I have installed a dashboard camera.
They're cheap on eBay, and one day, they may save a record of YOUR side of the story.

bobinlvnks March 06 2014 at 10:50 AM

In my opinion he is lucky the driver and his wife were not packing.

cherylhaass March 06 2014 at 3:38 PM

The van's driver was obviously terrified of what was going on. This huge mob of bikers was bullying the other people on the highway, being stupid and reckless. Mob mentality. The man had his wife and baby in the van, for crying out loud. He was NOT going to stop, get out of the van, get killed or beaten senseless, and leave them to the tender mercies of this Road Warrior gang. Not just Edwin, but the whole gang was responsible for this incident. If you get hurt or killed doing the wrong thing and being incredibly stupid, all you can expect is a Darwin Award.

Hi Lynn ~UrAdoll March 06 2014 at 10:51 AM

Gloria Allred schooled him good. I've watched that video over and over and over again - and I would have done the same thing, except I would have done more harm with my .38 if a group (I don't know how many were gang membres) of sport bikers did the same to me - between my SUV and .38 damage would have been done. It's really sad that unless it's one of the Harley gangs on a back road, you wouldn't see this type of thing happening. I live where we have both Harley weeks and a we have a huge sport bike 3 day event. The things I've seen from the sport bikers (and yes - there are some that are really nice) is horrible - kicking cars, wheelies down our main road, weaving in and out of traffic when they have been given a strict traffic pattern (which is not done during the Harley weeks). If that many sport bikers surrounded me - I would have done the same thing the family did and more. I'm sorry that the boy is paralyzed, but he shouldn't have been standing in the middle of the road.

heywheresmycheck Hi Lynn ~UrAdoll March 06 2014 at 11:26 AM

He wasn't standing in the middle of the road.

tpgbart March 06 2014 at 10:51 AM

tough luck jacka&# !! he shoulda ran down all you idiots!!! the thought that these people could get a lawsuit going is ridiculous..... a sure reason for reform on frivilous lawsuits

heywheresmycheck tpgbart March 06 2014 at 11:23 AM

And a reason to disbar fame- and money-***** Allred.

1414206447491