Agent: Game show host Geoff Edwards dies at 83

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Geoff Edwards, the hip-looking 1970s and '80s host of TV game shows including "Jackpot!" and two incarnations of "Treasure Hunt," died Wednesday, his agent said. He was 83.

Edwards died of complications of pneumonia at St. John's hospital in Santa Monica, agent Fred Westbrook said.

Edwards also worked as a radio DJ and actor, appearing on TV shows including "Petticoat Junction," ''I Dream of Jeannie" and "Diff'rent Strokes."

"Geoff was one of the cleverest, funniest radio and television personalities I've worked with," said fellow game show host Wink Martindale. The two were DJs at pop radio station KMPC in Los Angeles.

Edwards, a native of Westfield, N.J., hosted "The New Treasure Hunt," a revival of a 1950s quiz show, from 1973 to 1977 and hosted "Treasure Hunt" in 1981-82. He also emceed the 1980s game show "Jackpot!" and appeared on other shows including "Starcade."

Westbrook said his longtime client made a splash on TV by shedding the conservative look worn by his peers.

His hair was longer, he never wore a tie, and he favored jeans over suits, Westbrook said. "He was part of the new breed."

Edwards had been in good health, his agent said. In recent years, he wrote about travel on his website and did radio and TV programs on the subject.

He is survived by his wife, Michael, and stepsons Justin and Jason Feffer, Westbrook said. His survivors also include his ex-wife, Suzanne, and their children Todd, Shawn and Chess, as well as nine grandchildren.

Funeral plans were pending, Westbrook said.

Joy March 06 2014 at 10:43 AM

God I feel so old. Wait....I am old!!! RIP Geoff.

tho1500 Joy March 06 2014 at 11:33 AM

God bless you...you are funny...Thanks for the giggle at your clever quip.

mbrheljr Joy March 06 2014 at 1:36 PM

Bite your tongue, Joy. We aren't old. We're just mature... :)

Dave March 06 2014 at 12:56 AM

I met Geoff in 1984 when he was co-hosting a morning talk show with Meredith McCrae on KHJ Channel 9 in Los Angeles. I was getting a private tour of the studios from a friend of mine who worked there. When the show was over for the day Geoff sat down and talked with us for quite a while. He was extremely friendly and open. That's when he told us he had been a cub reporter in Dallas in 1963, and had been standing very close to Jack Ruby when he shot Lee Harvey Oswald. He didn't tell a lot of people about that but he was present during a very shocking moment in our nations's history. I thought he was a great guy and enjoyed talking with him. RIP Geoff.

Jan March 06 2014 at 12:17 AM

Definately remember him from Treasure Hunt. Nice looking & funny guy. Named my 3rd son after him. Already had two sons with Irish names and wanted to bring the British part of the family out. Loved the spelling of his first name with the British spelling of Jeffrey. Named my son Geoffrey.

flilguy March 05 2014 at 11:57 PM

My condolences to his family, friends, and fans. I think he was more well known in the Los Angeles area. I'm 45 and from Illinois and don't recall a lot about him. I looked him up on Google and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Edwards. I use to watch Diff'rent Strokes as a kid, and would like to see that episode he was in. I think if I seen him on that show I would recall it.

bfloyd2066 March 05 2014 at 11:46 PM

Robert I totally agree with you. Geoff Edwards and Jim Lange the other day. Forever is not promised.

ae12wrangell March 05 2014 at 11:46 PM

I watched a lot of Geoff Edwards' game shows, and there was a lot. It seemed as though he had a different game show every other year.

Robert March 05 2014 at 11:41 PM

............it's kind of scary, so much of my past is dying off.

grasshopper1809 March 05 2014 at 11:28 PM

bless his soul !

bendog622 March 05 2014 at 11:24 PM

He was one of the best game show host ever Mr. Geoff Edwards. RIP

wedlucks March 05 2014 at 11:22 PM

Geoff Edwards was also the morning host on KFI-AM in Los Angeles. He had a very entertaining show and gave Dick Whittenhill (KMPC) a good run for his money. In the late 1980's, he hosted a talk radio show and was the emcee for the California Lottery's "Big Spin." Goodby Geoff, we will miss you.