A modern guide to tipping

Are You Tipping Too Little?

After consulting with numerous etiquette publications, the Emily Post Institute and CNN Money, BuzzFeed learned that you should always tip 20 percent on the pre-tax amount for most services.

Your parents probably taught you to tip 15 percent, but that's a tad old school. Many service jobs pay less than minimum wage and don't include benefits ... so if you tip less than 20 percent, you should have a good reason.

Restaurant tipping should always be 20 percent (this also applies if you eat your meal at the bar). Haircuts should also be 20 percent, and if someone else washes your hair then you should tip them $5.

Massages and tattoos are also 20 percent ... after all, those aren't easy gigs!

When you use a coupon or gift certificate you should always tip 20 percent on the non-discounted price of the item/service.

There are a few exceptions to the 20 percent rule, though.

Taxis should be tipped 15 percent, always rounded up to the nearest dollar. Pickup orders should be tipped 10 percent, since your takeout didn't magically package itself.

Delivery should also be 10 percent, however if it's a particularly tough commute tip 20 percent.

Valets? $2. Car Washes? $5. Bartenders? $1 per drink ($2 if the order was fancy, or if you really loved what you sipped).

Do you agree? Let us know in the comments below.

Aminah March 10 2014 at 6:13 PM

Say's who? I can tip whatever I please...

Vanity March 10 2014 at 7:43 PM

These 'guidelines' take away the spirit of tipping. A gratuity is supposed to be a reward for service above and beyond the standard. But if you give me standard, I'm supposed to reward you anyway?

I tip, and tip well, but the argument about how much servers make only makes me want to close my purse. No one asks me how much I make, and whether it's sufficient for my needs. If we're going to start tipping people who are underpaid, I say we start with teachers.

txladybluex09 Vanity March 11 2014 at 12:20 AM

Teaching is not a tip industry. Never has been. Serving is. The amount that they are suggesting you tip is for excellent service. If it was average or less than that, tip accordingly. It isn't rocket science.

circlew1403 March 10 2014 at 3:26 AM

Why tip a percentage at all ? Why not tip based on how long you occupied the table, say you were at the table for 1 hour then tip a min 5 or 7 dollars. Most servers have at least 4 tables each. That's at least 20 dollars per hour. Not bad for a server. So if the bill is a hundred why would you tip 20 bucks that would be 80 per hour. Think about it.

petesehria circlew1403 March 10 2014 at 11:03 AM

Most people eat from 6-8 pm so tables at most restaurants only get 2 or 3 turns a night and on weeknights maybe not even that. So over an 8 hour shift 4 or 5 hours may be less than minimum wage. Think about it.

homeinsulation March 10 2014 at 2:52 AM

You know what I hate? When I get piss-poor service and yet there's still a sense that a tip is required. I mean, let's face it...if you drop the tip down to 10% for crappy service, they'll still curse you and think you were a jerk...so you may as well leave nothing and stay true to their condemnation. Buffet's, maybe a few bucks for keeping the water going or clean tables...but on the whole 'tipping' has evolved to something wrong. It was To Insure Promptness and get your meal quicker...today it's the way the restaurant makes you pay their employee who they should be paying!

petesehria homeinsulation March 10 2014 at 11:07 AM

What you say is true, BUT if employees made no tip the restaurants would have to pay the employees more, your meal would be higher and you would end up paying the same, but the waitstaff would have no incentive to work hard for you. In Europe and Canada the tips are much less.

ddeforeest March 10 2014 at 2:14 AM

You say parents probably taught you to tip 15%. Sorry, you are wrong. My parents taught me to tip 10%. That was the going rate when I was taught about tipping

gatemaster222 ddeforeest March 10 2014 at 4:59 PM

10% is more than enough in most situations.

Steve March 09 2014 at 11:35 PM

Nice. But I can wash my own hair for the cost of shampoo and warm water, about 10 cents. For that price, I can wash my own hair every day for almost 2 months before it adds up to $5. I don't need anyone else sticking their fingers in my hair, anyway.

Jimmie Nell March 09 2014 at 11:10 PM

God only askes for 10 %

alvonpa March 09 2014 at 11:35 PM

What happened to 15%; 10% for a buffet? Servers get a raise everytime food prices are increased. Who decided they should get another 5% on top of that? I will tip 15% and round up to an even number. No more, no less (except for bad service).

luvmadolls3 March 09 2014 at 11:10 PM

When waiters and waitresses learn to have more respect - I might tip more. I have one pet peeve - I'm over 60 now - I'm not a guy - if a waiter or waitress comes up and says "What can I get you guys to drink" - I'll tell them - I'm not a guy. If they say it again - it's a dollar off their tip every time. I'm not their friend - I'm not family - and I'm darn sure not a guy. Even though it's in their rules at Outback not to use the term "you guys" so many times we are greeted with that phrase.

Ed March 09 2014 at 11:01 PM

Hell no, who made up this stuff. People that get the tips, especially for average service. If the people are not happy, go get a different job. Nobody is forcing you to do the job. Oh! how much should I tip the person that takes my order at McDonals??? How about all the people that perform services and never get tips. ? Who makes up these rules.?

txladybluex09 Ed March 11 2014 at 12:28 AM

Mickey D's employees make at least minimum wage. I do not. I make $2.13 an hour. They are a fast food restaurant. We make your food to order and take care of you while you dine. Get real, there is no comparison.Tip me or stay at home.

bondoking txladybluex09 Monday at 11:15 PM

We usually go to the same 3-4 restaurants and specifically ask for servers that we know are good to us. They recognize us and do a good job every time. I appreciate them. One of my favorite stories was when our excellent server was stiffed by another table with a $4 tip after they busted his chops for 2 solid hours of fine service. I gave him an extra $15 OVER my customary 20% and he ALWAYS treats us right. I also got in a girl's face one night and told she was awful and left her 1 penny and told the mangaer that she sucked at her job. When you're good, you deserve to be paid for it. When you suck, you need to be fired. There is no in between with us.

Flag 0 rate up