A modern guide to tipping

Are You Tipping Too Little?

After consulting with numerous etiquette publications, the Emily Post Institute and CNN Money, BuzzFeed learned that you should always tip 20 percent on the pre-tax amount for most services.

Your parents probably taught you to tip 15 percent, but that's a tad old school. Many service jobs pay less than minimum wage and don't include benefits ... so if you tip less than 20 percent, you should have a good reason.

Restaurant tipping should always be 20 percent (this also applies if you eat your meal at the bar). Haircuts should also be 20 percent, and if someone else washes your hair then you should tip them $5.

Massages and tattoos are also 20 percent ... after all, those aren't easy gigs!

When you use a coupon or gift certificate you should always tip 20 percent on the non-discounted price of the item/service.

There are a few exceptions to the 20 percent rule, though.

Taxis should be tipped 15 percent, always rounded up to the nearest dollar. Pickup orders should be tipped 10 percent, since your takeout didn't magically package itself.

Delivery should also be 10 percent, however if it's a particularly tough commute tip 20 percent.

Valets? $2. Car Washes? $5. Bartenders? $1 per drink ($2 if the order was fancy, or if you really loved what you sipped).

Do you agree? Let us know in the comments below.

wheelockdavid March 09 2014 at 5:19 AM

no way

Dick March 09 2014 at 5:26 AM

If the barber/hairdresser owns the business, is there a different tipping rate?

Bill March 09 2014 at 5:47 AM

I believe in tiping for service but I don't tip on the tax

quinncarpetclean March 09 2014 at 5:48 AM

tip are earned.... not systematically extracted through guilt or some self anointed expert on manners.....some service is great....other times servers are rude or emotionally absent....i will decide how much they impress me..... not hip to your 'everybody gets 20 percent across the board no matter how hard they try' b.s.

jea509 March 09 2014 at 6:03 AM

The problem today is the servers expect a tip.
A tip is for good service and good food.
I have no problem leaving a good tip. When things are done right.
A good rule of thumb is leave penny on the table when the service is poor. That way they get the hint.
If you leave nothing,. The you just forgot....

genm3900 jea509 March 09 2014 at 6:30 AM

very true---I start at 20% but that decreases if the service sucks---down to a quarter--I always leave something so the server doesn't think I forgot it.

badugly90 jea509 March 09 2014 at 6:35 AM

I forgot thought the other guy was going to tip he said he was the waitress came running out screaming profanity at us she didn't get the tip from me
another timei left a tip 10 dollars in one dollar bills and was leaving when the couple I was with took at least half of it and left with us I didn't say anything but never went out with them again .

Susan or Gerald March 09 2014 at 6:52 AM

I start at 20 % as customer service goes down so does tipping.

keith March 09 2014 at 7:04 AM

if I'm PICKING something up, i NEVER leave a TIP. But when i dio have delivery, or we are out to dinner or any other time, ALWAYS tip good, unless they are really bad, then they get lousy tip, like my service was....:)

cbsanji March 09 2014 at 7:08 AM

I know someone who has worked for several years in an upscale restaurant attached to a hotel. They work in teams and are watched carefully and are expected to give courteous and excellent service, which they do. There are times when certain types leave NO tip, or very little. I have known them to go in the back and cry because they have given their hearts and souls to serve the diners. It may not be their fault that the kitchen was slow because the restaurant was packed, or perhaps a certain item on the menu was unavailable. They work many backbreaking hours and are expected look presentable, to set up before opening and clean up after closing, all for less than minimum wage. Please remember that when you are eating out.

auntbea cbsanji March 09 2014 at 8:24 AM

(cbsanji) I Agree !!!

JOSEPH SPENCER March 09 2014 at 7:14 AM

TIPS= TO ENSURE PERSONAL SERVICE.

Franni March 09 2014 at 7:14 AM

From what I have always understood, a TIP means To Insure Promptness. I feel a TIP should not be given percentage wise but for the type of service you receive.

World Series