World's oldest person turns 116 this week, shares her 'secrets'

World's Oldest Person Turns 116
We're wishing a very happy birthday to the oldest person in the world this week. Want to follow in her footsteps? Luckily, she's revealed her recipe for longevity.

Misao Okawa is turning 116 on Wednesday - an incredible milestone. The year she was born, Queen Victoria was still on the throne, the Spanish American war was well underway and the Boston Marathon was in its 2nd year.

So what's her secret? It's pretty simple, really.

The Japanese native told The Telegraph: "Eat and sleep and you will live a long time. You have to learn to relax."

Okawa says she eats three large meals a day, and sleeps at least eight hours a night. Her favorite meal is sushi and she's reportedly never had a major illness in her life. Talk about good health!

When asked about her happiest moments, she said it was when she got married in 1919 and when she gave birth to her three children.

mbrheljr March 03 2014 at 2:06 PM

Good for her.

I, too, hope and plan to live a long, productive life.

But, at the risk of sounding hypercritical, Ms. Okawa, my idea of doing that isn't spending my waning years in a wheelchair with a blanket on my lap.

If that were to happen, I would hope a merciful God would rearrange my housing accommodations forthwith...

LGgarcia973 March 03 2014 at 6:04 PM

Everything sounds good, except the "relax"; wee can't relax living in the US. She libes in Japan where the elders are respected and practically venerated for their wisdom, here, we are just pests to our kids ad grandkids. I am 69 years old, work full time, so I don't sit around.

scaindrp LGgarcia973 March 03 2014 at 6:42 PM

You are right about the way we are treated here by children and other family members. That is not the reason we cannot relax! We are too busy chasing the money God or keeping up with the Joneses to take time for ourselves. The Japanese are happy because they choose to be. Not only do they respect their elders and persons of authority, but they respect themselves! Therefore, they take time to eat 3 full meals, sleep 8 hours a day and relax.

lucitee March 03 2014 at 6:08 PM

Japanese people are some of the happiest ones on earth! There are many of them on the Hawaiian Islands and were very friendly and helpful during my visits. My husband and I also went there on our honeymoon, socialized and played golf with many of them. They were always in a good mood, never got mad on the golf course when they lost a ball or made a bad shot! They always seemed to find the fun in unfunny situations! My son was also stationed on Okinawa, Japan when he was in the Navy. He said they were the same over there, a kind and gentle people caring and respecting their elders. The younger generations always willingly tending to the older generations without complaint! Because THEY had been lovingly cared for! I am sure THAT had a lot to do with her longevity!

WAYNE March 03 2014 at 1:43 PM

My mother is 102 that's a good life too.

francesmuralles March 03 2014 at 1:40 PM

I'm taking her advise. God Bless Her.

richard March 03 2014 at 6:10 PM

sleep 8hrs. or more is one of her tricks , I 've heard it many times , so that may be a good idea .
don't smoke is another one

Vicki March 03 2014 at 1:34 PM

Wow, Happy Birthday! Relax, and eat well. Good advice. Stress kills. Sounds like good and appropriate advice to all. To live through so many social, economic and cultural changes is amazing.

MaryLou March 03 2014 at 1:34 PM

Inner peace---bless her heart

theswagg March 03 2014 at 1:33 PM

Good for her. I wonder if she is from the Japanese island of Okinawa where the oldest people usually live. I bet she can really tell some good stories too.

Nadia310 March 03 2014 at 1:48 PM

Something mut be said to a diet and stress free life! Bless her.