Reporter details her 70-lb. weight loss

Reporter Shares Incredible Weight Loss Journey

By Jessica Larche, NewsChannel 3

Like many of us, I've struggled with weight issues my entire life.

And, like many of us, I went through cycles of losing weight only to gain it back. I was tired of the same old, same old.

I had a wake-up call in the summer of 2012 that made me realize it's not just about losing weight. It's about changing your lifestyle.

A visit to the doctor revealed my blood pressure was 150/100 (that's dangerously high) and I was placed on high blood pressure medication.

I was scared, embarrassed and angry with myself.

While high blood pressure doesn't always seem like a doomsday diagnosis in our society, it was to me. High blood pressure brings the very real risks of heart attacks and strokes. I didn't want to live my life in that shadow.

I decided that I had to begin a lifelong journey toward health and fitness, and that started with me falling completely in love with myself at that exact moment (I was a size 24 at the beginning of my journey). Loving myself enough to make good decisions gave me the fuel to take the first step on my journey.

I also had to find the blessing in my burden. Once I realized that it is actually a blessing to have a burden that I have the power to work on everyday, I was pumped to get on the right track. Just think of all the people who battle issues they have no control over. I became grateful that I had a problem that I could tackle with some hard work.

So, I started researching food to help lower blood pressure, most of which were lower in carbohydrates. Food like kale, spaghetti squash and flaxseed became main staples of my lifestyle.

I paced myself in going to the gym at first, working out once or twice a week. Now I've worked myself up to jogging, working with a personal trainer once a week and taking some high-powered cardio classes like "Body Combat" at One Life Fitness!

The biggest achievement of my journey: being healthy enough for my doctor to take me off high blood pressure meds!

Over the last two years on this journey, I've lost roughly 70 pounds! Do the math: 52 weeks in a year X 2 years = 104 weeks / 70 pounds = 0.673 a week. At first, losing 0.673 pounds a week may seem small, but when you add it up over time, it equals big results.

I'm now a comfortable size 14 (which is the average size of a woman in America).

I chose to share my story because of all the positive viewer e-mails I've received since they began to notice the results of my journey. I hope sharing my story helps you. Just be patient with yourself, appreciate who you are in this very moment and make good decisions every day.

We can all do this!!!

Want to know what I've been eating along the journey? Check out some of my favorite recipes for low carb brownies and my homemade cauliflower rice and spaghetti squash dishes!

janddress

jblack

john f richards March 10 2014 at 1:00 AM

good for you girl keep up the good work

Caroline March 09 2014 at 8:29 AM

You are such an inspiration, you give me not just hope, but the confidence that with conscientious positive decision making at every interval, I can occur my inner demons and gain control of my life by valuing myself everyday and putting my needs first. Sometimes as a mom we put our needs on the back burner, I will make sure that everyday is a new day, which means I get a do-over each day to get it right. Keep up the good work, you are awesome, and so brave, keep putting one foot in front of the other.

whdlsn March 09 2014 at 6:57 AM

well done.

boldmother March 09 2014 at 5:04 AM

Wow you have done GREAT!!!

ricklexus March 09 2014 at 4:28 AM

The story here is not her weight...it's the attitude, the methodology, the realism that she can be better, something that is lost here in America.

kitchiner408 March 09 2014 at 3:46 AM

She looks best 2 me when she's in the red!

neighmoon March 09 2014 at 12:36 AM

Way to go Girlfriend. You keep on going for the rest of your very long, very healthy, fabulous life.

sesimsagapelove March 08 2014 at 10:12 PM

I can't wait to get started, this is very encouraging and I pray to be as strong as this beautiful anchor lady.

L.PAYTON March 08 2014 at 9:52 PM

Well I would like to start off by saying you did an amazing job no matter what any body else has too say its all about how you feel.
and most people don't go to the hospital the way they should either way you have done something that is hard for a lot of people with that being said it really amazes me how its so easy to say something negative to some one but its hard to say something nice and when they do say something nice at the end of it all they still have a little negative end too it so you cant win from loosing that's why when you do something no matter what the reason is you did it and completed it.
there was a comment made by mr no it all (JIM) maybe no one has ever told you this but somethings are better left unsaid cause that was the stupidest comment you wrote and it had no compassion at all just remember one thing becarefull what you say to people cause karma is something else.
Jessica I wish you all the best and all you can do is your best !!! congrats :)

montanaskies55 March 09 2014 at 1:04 PM

You are a beautiful woman before and after your weight loss. You are losing the weight the right way, a little at a time thru exercise and diet. I have fought being over weight since I was about 10 years old. I weighed 130 at that age and near 300 when I was in my late teens early 20's. I lost and gained and lost and gained. I recently became very ill and lost weight. I then began doing it like you have after having major back surgery. I have went from nearly 265 to 184 in the last 2 years. I could not walk a half a block a year ago. Now I can walk 2 blocks. One step at a time. It gets you where you need to go! You are such an inspiration.

World Series