Disney Will End Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policy

Disney Cuts Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policies

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Walt Disney Company will cut funding to the Boy Scouts of America beginning in 2015 because of a policy that bans gay adult leaders in the organization.

The Boy Scouts organization is "disappointed" by the decision, which will affect the organization's ability to serve children, Deron Smith, a Boy Scouts spokesman, said in a statement Sunday. Disney does not provide direct funding to the Boy Scouts, but it donates money to some troops in exchange for volunteer hours completed by Disney employees, he said.

"We believe every child deserves the opportunity to be a part of the Scouting experience and we are disappointed in this decision because it will impact our ability to serve kids," he said.

David Jefferson, chief spokesman for The Walt Disney Company, did not respond to calls or emails.

Disney's decision came to light after the president of a local Boy Scout council based in Orlando, Fla., where Disney World is based, sent a memo alerting local troops to the decision.

The memo was posted on the website of Scouts for Equality, an organization that is critical of the Boy Scouts' policy to ban adult gay troop leaders.

The Boy Scouts lifted a ban on gay youth last year.

Brenda Evans March 03 2014 at 11:02 PM

That's too bad Disney. I believe it was a very wise decision and you should reconsider your stance on this one.

green gate farm March 03 2014 at 8:57 PM

If Disney takes the position they will not support the Boy Scouts so be it. It's their company and they can support whoever they want. If the Boy Scouts don't want gays as leaders so be it. It's their organization and they can run it anyway they want. That's called tolerance. Forcing others to bend to your beliefs is called intolerance.

rolfsul March 03 2014 at 9:16 AM

It may be the Boy Scouts right to discriminate -- it's also Disney's and everyone else's right not to give them any funds to continue doing so. I wonder what the outcry would be if Disney decided that some people with certain beliefs or habits or orientation would not be granted admission to their parks. Congress would be screaminging bloody murder within hours!

russell_montminy March 03 2014 at 3:54 PM

I think it's a good idea for Gay boy scouts not to be leaders where other boys are under them just as I think it's not a good idea for a gay person to be a teacher and responsible for children under them especially boys. Some gays have this enormous attraction for certain boys as they sometimes do and that is understandable but to have these same gay boys responsible for other boys is asking for trouble. Boy scouts should always the gay boys no matter where they are and treat them with respect but by all means hate their sexual pleasure.

Claudia russell_montminy March 03 2014 at 4:02 PM

Russell you say especially boys-there are females that are gay and teachers too--just saying..there are plenty of people that are gay and have exposure to children. I think any person who would prey on someone (man woman child) would be denied by any company once they were aware......

morrism462 russell_montminy March 03 2014 at 4:49 PM

LOL do you not read or watch the news? You are worried about Gay men molesting boys in the classroom? or as leaders? I see so many stories about women teachers having sex with young teens. I think you should be more concerned about that!!

jandjhoye March 03 2014 at 9:18 AM

WHO CARES.

brennemanbelkin March 03 2014 at 9:18 AM

Note to the Scouts, there have always been gay leaders.
Whether you were aware or not.

Cheryl brennemanbelkin March 03 2014 at 9:30 AM

Yes, those who put the task at hand (leading boys) ahead of their sex life. People who feel the need to proclaim their sexuality to the world are probably not in the best position to be leading little boys in anything.... especially not a week in the woods. Give the scouts some credit. They stopped the ban on gay scouts. Things do take time, and since faith in God is a big part of scouts, it IS necessary to figure out the logistics of change when a large number of charter organizations that give the scouts a place to meet and store all of their gear are churches. In the meantime, if you're not able to be patient, it's probably not the place for you or your kid.

jtdancernh Cheryl March 03 2014 at 9:35 AM

I give the Scouts absolutely NO CREDIT. They are every bit as bad as the Catholic Church when it comes to protecting pedophiles. the only reason they want to keep the gay guys out is because they know as well as anyone that the gay guys will ruin their fun by TURNING IN the pedophiles.

How do I know this? It's common sense--if the gay guys don't TURN IN the pedophiles, they will end up being accused of BEING the pedophiles.

Your kids are safer in any gay bar than they are at school, at church, or at that Boy Scout meeting.

Flag 0 rate up
edenskpr March 03 2014 at 3:54 PM

I am a manager of a large corporation that hired Disney last year, where we held our corporate get-together (Anaheim). That will cease. The gay and Lesbians of the world are a small minority, in the vastness of our populous. I am not a homo-phobe, or an individual that hates any group of people and that is NOT what is being presented here. The simple question is: "Can a gay man be a leader to young men-when his orientation is attraction to men?" While most gay men, I'm sure would answer that their is no attraction to these young boys and they simply want to be a part of the scouting experience with their sons, or be a mentor to others; it still leaves open the thought process of those that would cross-the-line in inuendoes, suggestiveness or out-right crimes. Do we then open-up the girl-scouts to the same type of leadership?

Disney's efforts to be "seen" as a major corporation that supports this particular issue, tells me they gave little thought to the financial ramifications of their actions. I grew up in Boy Scouts, Achieved my Eagle Scout award, Duty to God award and Order of the Arrow. I have made corporate contributions to the Boy Scouts and will continue to do so. I guess until the Boy Scouts performs background checks and personality tests on each leader that serves, no one can determine the safety of these young men. To me Disney is no longer the Happiest Place on-earth, it is a sad reminder of a corporation trying to be politically correct, without seeing the core values of what Walt had in mind.

krfranklin edenskpr March 03 2014 at 4:58 PM

Thank you so much for your clear wisdom on this subject. I have 2 sons that earned their Eagle Scout Award, Duty to God, and order of the Arrow. They are very proud of their accomplishments and I do not want them to ever feel like someone is trying to tarnish what they achieved. Thank you

tmoore9873 March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

Can we have at least one American Institution undefiled by perversion? The American public will soon need Boy Scout cookies to replace girls Scouts' which has caved in to the radical perverts.

Brenda tmoore9873 March 03 2014 at 4:24 PM

true.....we no longer buy girl scout cookies due to their involvement with planned parenthood......I used to be a brownie leader when our girls were little.......how sad where our society is going......in the dumper

Claudia March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

..so Disney doesnt employ gay boys......? Humm....

brandma6585 March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

I don't really care what a person does in his or her bedroom, so I think that penalizing someone for their sexual preference is controlling and behaving like big brother is watching. As long as the gay person does not inflict their lifestyle on anyone else - who does he bother? It reminds me of the bible toter who tries to get people over to their side. I have my own spiritual lifestyle thank you very much and don't need your imput.