Disney Will End Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policy

Disney Cuts Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policies

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Walt Disney Company will cut funding to the Boy Scouts of America beginning in 2015 because of a policy that bans gay adult leaders in the organization.

The Boy Scouts organization is "disappointed" by the decision, which will affect the organization's ability to serve children, Deron Smith, a Boy Scouts spokesman, said in a statement Sunday. Disney does not provide direct funding to the Boy Scouts, but it donates money to some troops in exchange for volunteer hours completed by Disney employees, he said.

"We believe every child deserves the opportunity to be a part of the Scouting experience and we are disappointed in this decision because it will impact our ability to serve kids," he said.

David Jefferson, chief spokesman for The Walt Disney Company, did not respond to calls or emails.

Disney's decision came to light after the president of a local Boy Scout council based in Orlando, Fla., where Disney World is based, sent a memo alerting local troops to the decision.

The memo was posted on the website of Scouts for Equality, an organization that is critical of the Boy Scouts' policy to ban adult gay troop leaders.

The Boy Scouts lifted a ban on gay youth last year.

edenskpr March 03 2014 at 3:54 PM

I am a manager of a large corporation that hired Disney last year, where we held our corporate get-together (Anaheim). That will cease. The gay and Lesbians of the world are a small minority, in the vastness of our populous. I am not a homo-phobe, or an individual that hates any group of people and that is NOT what is being presented here. The simple question is: "Can a gay man be a leader to young men-when his orientation is attraction to men?" While most gay men, I'm sure would answer that their is no attraction to these young boys and they simply want to be a part of the scouting experience with their sons, or be a mentor to others; it still leaves open the thought process of those that would cross-the-line in inuendoes, suggestiveness or out-right crimes. Do we then open-up the girl-scouts to the same type of leadership?

Disney's efforts to be "seen" as a major corporation that supports this particular issue, tells me they gave little thought to the financial ramifications of their actions. I grew up in Boy Scouts, Achieved my Eagle Scout award, Duty to God award and Order of the Arrow. I have made corporate contributions to the Boy Scouts and will continue to do so. I guess until the Boy Scouts performs background checks and personality tests on each leader that serves, no one can determine the safety of these young men. To me Disney is no longer the Happiest Place on-earth, it is a sad reminder of a corporation trying to be politically correct, without seeing the core values of what Walt had in mind.

krfranklin edenskpr March 03 2014 at 4:58 PM

Thank you so much for your clear wisdom on this subject. I have 2 sons that earned their Eagle Scout Award, Duty to God, and order of the Arrow. They are very proud of their accomplishments and I do not want them to ever feel like someone is trying to tarnish what they achieved. Thank you

eltrip March 03 2014 at 1:42 PM

My kid always screamed too when I held his allowance back....

Ivory A, Bates March 03 2014 at 7:47 PM

Walt's rolling over in his grave. I grew up a Disney kid and collect Disney. It will stop and a planned family visit to Disney World this April is cancelled. Rights are one thing but pushing one's private bed room behavior as a political agenda another

capeemay March 03 2014 at 1:37 PM

we can cherry pick who we want to grant what they should not have to be granted = equality

RICHARD BONNET March 03 2014 at 7:18 PM

The Boy Scouts does not ban Gays as leaders in
the Boy Scouts,but it DOES ban Pedifiles.

woodflex March 03 2014 at 10:55 AM

The Scouts for Equality should start their own organization.

msslongrider woodflex March 03 2014 at 11:05 AM

what would be their first badge? a weiner bake?

Jennifer March 03 2014 at 10:04 AM

Wow. I love how everyone thinks the BSA "HATES" people, or certain groups. BSA can't have it's own beliefs? I personally do not care who joins. It is an awesome program for boys. What I can't tolerate is being told what we have to do. Just wait until they start dictating what YOU can and can't do. Don't complain.

junior Jennifer March 03 2014 at 10:06 AM

Isn't that exactly what the boys scouts are doing? Dictating what you can and cannot be?

Dave junior March 03 2014 at 10:11 AM

Not at all, you can form the Gay Scouts Of America and join that..
Other than just forcing your life style on others who do not agree with you, why would you want to be whre you are not wanted?

Flag +4 rate up
ggiartn junior March 03 2014 at 10:13 AM

No you can be anything you want. BSA are no different then many, many other organizations or clubs. They can decide who they want as members. Every one speaks of "tolerance" unless of course it doesn't agree with want you want and then you can't tolerate that.

Flag 0 rate up
cabinsmoke March 03 2014 at 1:32 PM

Disney, these days, is no different than any other scum studio amongst the Hollywood abyss.

Carole Kay cabinsmoke March 03 2014 at 1:41 PM

Walt Disney is turning over in his grave just like our Founding Fathers are doing!

JJ Carole Kay March 03 2014 at 2:10 PM

Because of gay people? lol You're not capable of deep thoughts, are you?

Flag +2 rate up
Dan March 03 2014 at 10:44 AM

Used to love what Disney potrayed in their approach to creativety and vision; that has now become muddled with political correctness and has lost its appeal. I wonder if the founders of the scouts or Walt Disney would be in agreement with where these organizations are today?

Webbncrew Dan March 03 2014 at 10:45 AM

I believe they would .. Bring back True family Values

US Paratrooper

Tim Dan March 03 2014 at 10:53 AM

How is not agreeing the world should change so you be gay muddle anything about Disney? Sex belongs in the bedroom, I smoke and I dont see the world doing anything to me other than screwing my rights, so why should the gays get special treatment? I have a right to smoke, just like they have a right to take it in rear if thats what they enjoy. Stop wanting everyone to give you things that are against natures will.

brandma6585 March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

I don't really care what a person does in his or her bedroom, so I think that penalizing someone for their sexual preference is controlling and behaving like big brother is watching. As long as the gay person does not inflict their lifestyle on anyone else - who does he bother? It reminds me of the bible toter who tries to get people over to their side. I have my own spiritual lifestyle thank you very much and don't need your imput.