Disney Will End Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policy

Disney Cuts Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policies

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Walt Disney Company will cut funding to the Boy Scouts of America beginning in 2015 because of a policy that bans gay adult leaders in the organization.

The Boy Scouts organization is "disappointed" by the decision, which will affect the organization's ability to serve children, Deron Smith, a Boy Scouts spokesman, said in a statement Sunday. Disney does not provide direct funding to the Boy Scouts, but it donates money to some troops in exchange for volunteer hours completed by Disney employees, he said.

"We believe every child deserves the opportunity to be a part of the Scouting experience and we are disappointed in this decision because it will impact our ability to serve kids," he said.

David Jefferson, chief spokesman for The Walt Disney Company, did not respond to calls or emails.

Disney's decision came to light after the president of a local Boy Scout council based in Orlando, Fla., where Disney World is based, sent a memo alerting local troops to the decision.

The memo was posted on the website of Scouts for Equality, an organization that is critical of the Boy Scouts' policy to ban adult gay troop leaders.

The Boy Scouts lifted a ban on gay youth last year.

rolfsul March 03 2014 at 9:16 AM

It may be the Boy Scouts right to discriminate -- it's also Disney's and everyone else's right not to give them any funds to continue doing so. I wonder what the outcry would be if Disney decided that some people with certain beliefs or habits or orientation would not be granted admission to their parks. Congress would be screaminging bloody murder within hours!

green gate farm March 03 2014 at 8:57 PM

If Disney takes the position they will not support the Boy Scouts so be it. It's their company and they can support whoever they want. If the Boy Scouts don't want gays as leaders so be it. It's their organization and they can run it anyway they want. That's called tolerance. Forcing others to bend to your beliefs is called intolerance.

edenskpr March 03 2014 at 3:54 PM

I am a manager of a large corporation that hired Disney last year, where we held our corporate get-together (Anaheim). That will cease. The gay and Lesbians of the world are a small minority, in the vastness of our populous. I am not a homo-phobe, or an individual that hates any group of people and that is NOT what is being presented here. The simple question is: "Can a gay man be a leader to young men-when his orientation is attraction to men?" While most gay men, I'm sure would answer that their is no attraction to these young boys and they simply want to be a part of the scouting experience with their sons, or be a mentor to others; it still leaves open the thought process of those that would cross-the-line in inuendoes, suggestiveness or out-right crimes. Do we then open-up the girl-scouts to the same type of leadership?

Disney's efforts to be "seen" as a major corporation that supports this particular issue, tells me they gave little thought to the financial ramifications of their actions. I grew up in Boy Scouts, Achieved my Eagle Scout award, Duty to God award and Order of the Arrow. I have made corporate contributions to the Boy Scouts and will continue to do so. I guess until the Boy Scouts performs background checks and personality tests on each leader that serves, no one can determine the safety of these young men. To me Disney is no longer the Happiest Place on-earth, it is a sad reminder of a corporation trying to be politically correct, without seeing the core values of what Walt had in mind.

krfranklin edenskpr March 03 2014 at 4:58 PM

Thank you so much for your clear wisdom on this subject. I have 2 sons that earned their Eagle Scout Award, Duty to God, and order of the Arrow. They are very proud of their accomplishments and I do not want them to ever feel like someone is trying to tarnish what they achieved. Thank you

tmoore9873 March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

Can we have at least one American Institution undefiled by perversion? The American public will soon need Boy Scout cookies to replace girls Scouts' which has caved in to the radical perverts.

Brenda tmoore9873 March 03 2014 at 4:24 PM

true.....we no longer buy girl scout cookies due to their involvement with planned parenthood......I used to be a brownie leader when our girls were little.......how sad where our society is going......in the dumper

Glenn Genereux March 03 2014 at 1:29 PM

I am not saying Disney is right, but they have the right to offer donations and support however they prefer, and all they are saying is that they will not support the Boy Scouts because they have a policy that is not consistent with Disney's business policy. This is no different that your decision to not support Disney because they are not in agreement with your beliefs. You have every right not to shop Disney or enter their parks, as they have every right to not donate time or money to any organization that does not agree with their policies.

This is no different than the churches and schools denying the scouts a place to meet because they have to allow gay membership. The ones caught in the middle are the scouts since both sides of this argument are shunning them, and it really is not a subject that should be broached in the scouting ranks anyway.

punkmitts March 03 2014 at 8:45 AM

Do a Good Turn Daily.

Claudia March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

..so Disney doesnt employ gay boys......? Humm....

Dan March 03 2014 at 10:44 AM

Used to love what Disney potrayed in their approach to creativety and vision; that has now become muddled with political correctness and has lost its appeal. I wonder if the founders of the scouts or Walt Disney would be in agreement with where these organizations are today?

Webbncrew Dan March 03 2014 at 10:45 AM

I believe they would .. Bring back True family Values

US Paratrooper

Tim Dan March 03 2014 at 10:53 AM

How is not agreeing the world should change so you be gay muddle anything about Disney? Sex belongs in the bedroom, I smoke and I dont see the world doing anything to me other than screwing my rights, so why should the gays get special treatment? I have a right to smoke, just like they have a right to take it in rear if thats what they enjoy. Stop wanting everyone to give you things that are against natures will.

brandma6585 March 03 2014 at 3:55 PM

I don't really care what a person does in his or her bedroom, so I think that penalizing someone for their sexual preference is controlling and behaving like big brother is watching. As long as the gay person does not inflict their lifestyle on anyone else - who does he bother? It reminds me of the bible toter who tries to get people over to their side. I have my own spiritual lifestyle thank you very much and don't need your imput.

Tim March 03 2014 at 10:49 AM

Good for them, about time someone stood up and took a stand. Being gay is fine if that is what you want to do, but do it in your bedroom and stop trying to get the world to hand you a way out of your sick sexual issues, keep it where it belongs behind closed doors.