Disney Will End Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policy

Disney Cuts Funding To Boy Scouts Over Anti-Gay Policies

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Walt Disney Company will cut funding to the Boy Scouts of America beginning in 2015 because of a policy that bans gay adult leaders in the organization.

The Boy Scouts organization is "disappointed" by the decision, which will affect the organization's ability to serve children, Deron Smith, a Boy Scouts spokesman, said in a statement Sunday. Disney does not provide direct funding to the Boy Scouts, but it donates money to some troops in exchange for volunteer hours completed by Disney employees, he said.

"We believe every child deserves the opportunity to be a part of the Scouting experience and we are disappointed in this decision because it will impact our ability to serve kids," he said.

David Jefferson, chief spokesman for The Walt Disney Company, did not respond to calls or emails.

Disney's decision came to light after the president of a local Boy Scout council based in Orlando, Fla., where Disney World is based, sent a memo alerting local troops to the decision.

The memo was posted on the website of Scouts for Equality, an organization that is critical of the Boy Scouts' policy to ban adult gay troop leaders.

The Boy Scouts lifted a ban on gay youth last year.

John & Yvonne March 03 2014 at 1:47 PM

Well, really the Disney employees are the only reason Disney is contributing money. money which they can deduct as a charitable contribution. So, the volunteers will probably continue because they care about this program.
Can we expect a new character on the tv/big screen?

gmartin997 March 03 2014 at 8:56 AM

Companies like Disney should take a neutral stand on matters that don't directly concern them. The Boy Scouts voted to allow openly gay boys, but not openly gay leaders.. They have to right to discriminate than anyone else.

sadiemae1214 gmartin997 March 03 2014 at 9:02 AM

Disney also has the right to discriminate. While I don't believe in discrimination, it's wrong on so many levels, those "openly gay boys" that the scouts have decided to allow in will become openly gay men someday. Will they be turned away from becoming scout leaders then? Will the scouts throw them out before they get old enough to become leaders?

areyoubeingserved March 03 2014 at 9:44 AM

Is it really Disney doing this or is it the CEO the Board and the leadership?

photoburt areyoubeingserved March 03 2014 at 9:58 AM

What's the difference idiot.
These are the people who run the company.

dkdriller March 03 2014 at 11:04 AM

i would like the "journalists " to list who Disney IS donating to.

Lisa March 03 2014 at 11:44 PM

Those of you who vow never to go to Disneyland ever again, or buy anything related to Disney ever again. Okay.
Turn off ABC.
Turn off ESPN.
Don't see Lucas Film movies.
No A&E either.
I think it's the ESPN that'll hurt you the most!
Disney owns a lot more than just Mickey and Minnie!

Brian Workman March 03 2014 at 10:49 PM

I thought the Boy Scouts just changed they're tune, about "GAYS!?" January this year!?!?

Dan March 03 2014 at 4:23 PM

So much for creating and allowing diversity and for others to be different or have different views, ug Disney, ug.

punkmitts March 03 2014 at 8:45 AM

Do a Good Turn Daily.

goodlucktu March 03 2014 at 4:25 PM

I wonder what WALT would say.. he built this dream on one thing.. making families happy about life and childrens needs.. do children have to question any movement or policy? I know it is way past that now..!!!! Who cares anyway.. I saw and experienced The real Disneyland in Cal. on my own back in 1972 w/$15 got you the world after traveling clear across the country from NY/NJ with a couple of friends ... will never forget how great it was...lets keep it that way..

bakerinnodesign March 03 2014 at 4:30 PM

Funny, I have never seen the Boy Scouts state that they are afraid that a boy will be molested by a gay man. I have only seen in it print in places like this, from people that are NOT Scouters. Scouting has a strict policy against sexual contact of ANY type, between anyone - including me giving my son a hug or a kiss on the forehead.

"On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

My morals were taught to me by my faith, and I stand by that faith.

Have a nice day.

Bob bakerinnodesign March 03 2014 at 4:36 PM

"Scouting has a strict policy against sexual contact of ANY type, between anyone..." and State and Federal Governments have strict laws against rape & molestation but it still happens.

Drew Bob March 03 2014 at 5:23 PM

You are right, so you are for lifting all the rules meant to cut down on that? really don't understand your point. The girl scouts can restrict heterosexual men from taking girls out camping in the woods because they are attracted to the female sex but you think protecting little boys from men attracted to males is somehow wrong???????

Flag +1 rate up