Daughter surprises sick father with early wedding at hospital

Daughter Surprises Sick Father With Early Wedding at Hospital

Krystal Whitesell was originally getting married in June, but decided to move the wedding up to ensure her father could be there.

"I love my daddy. I wanted him to be there," she said simply.

Krystal's dad, Kenneth, is suffering from cancer, and doctors told her he wasn't getting any better.

Krystal decided to move her wedding day to Friday ... and to hold the ceremony in the hospital. "We can't wait. We gotta do it now. I want him to be here," Krystal said.

She told her dad she changed the wedding date, but didn't tell him it was happening so soon.

Nurses at Moses Cone in Greensboro, N.C., turned into wedding planners and got Kenneth from the ICU to the alter. "I knew he couldn't walk me down the aisle," Krystal said, "but at least he'd be here."

"I feel joy, excitement. I'm very pleased. I couldn't ask for anything better. This is the best day of my life," Kenneth said.

Kenneth was able to give away his youngest daughter and give her fatherly advice to last a lifetime.

"Good luck. From the bottom of my heart I love you all. If you just take care of each other, we will all be fine," he said.

Changa80 March 04 2014 at 12:22 AM

I don't know what it is like for your father not to be at your wedding for my father was already gone, but I am wishing you joy and many happy years together.

mamaz1234 March 03 2014 at 5:48 PM

Just goes to show how strong and how special a father/daughter relationship can be!!

Colleen Marie P. mamaz1234 March 03 2014 at 7:46 PM

made me cry. What a sweet daughter.

jjdallvec March 03 2014 at 5:50 PM

I am a Marine, Whats with capt. Mike, He needs help!!!

rrj6648 March 03 2014 at 6:31 PM

Love is way awesome powerful sweetness as always from birth to death and all the way from Eternity to Eternity!!! What a Beautiful Inspiring Love!!! That is what God is Love!!!

Salve Tutti! March 03 2014 at 8:40 PM

Is lovely to read a story like this and see the glad emotions of the faces of those involved. We know that stories like this happen all the time, but we don't get to know about them or see them or share them….so we don't think about them. We need to see more 'good news' pages and less of the other stuff that we get slammed down out throats, daily. Yes, that 'stuff' is important, too…but we need more of a balance so we KNOW that there are good and kind and humble and living things going on as much as the other stuff. Thank You for sharing this story and to the bride for being sensitive and rearranging everything, so her dad, simply would be there, included, a part of the wedding which is every child's dream, to have their parents at their wedding. Male or female. Please give us more of these stories, please?!?

chasingclarity13 March 03 2014 at 9:30 PM

That's a beautiful story. They are all very blessed! My sister moved her wedding forward so my dad could be there, but due to complications after his esophagus surgery, he is no longer with us. His spirit will be walking us both down the aisle in the next two years to come.

suziesheltie March 03 2014 at 9:39 PM

what a great thing to do. Best Wishes to you and your husband.

rozym786 March 03 2014 at 9:40 PM

a father/daughter relation is a lasting relation, parants blessings are God's blessings, may you have a lasting relations with ur hubby, Krystale, dear have a lasting marriage, and may ur father get better soon. its my humble prayers to god. happy wedding to you both. amen !!

barbara taylor March 03 2014 at 10:05 PM

May God Add His riches Blessing upon this family. Just alway remember God will take careof you and your Familly. Thank you for sharing this story. You and your husband are very special.Your family are in my prayers.God is in control AMEN

hccbillandpat March 03 2014 at 10:06 PM

LOVE AND RESPECT FOR OUR PARENTS INDICATES OUR CHARACTER. I ALWAYS RESPECTED MY DAD AND MY MOM, I DIDN'T ALWAYS FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS OR ADVICE, BUT I ALWAYS REGRETTIT IT WHEN I DIDN'T. MY DAD TOLD ME JUST BEFORE MY WEDDING THAT MY HUSBAND WAS " THE ONLY BOY I EVER BROUGHT HOME THAT HAD A LICK OF SENSE". SO I KNEW I WAS REALLY LUCKY TO FIND MY GUY AND HAVE MY DAD ENDORSE HIM. WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED 56 YEARS, AND DADDY WAS RIGHT. I APPLAUD KRYSTAL FOR MAKING SURE HER DAD WAS WITH HER TO ENDORSE HER MARRIAGE.