After Leaving Home, NJ Cheerleader Sues Parents For Tuition

After Leaving Home, NJ Cheerleader Sues Parents For Tuition

A high school cheerleader and honor student in New Jersey left home over a family dispute when she turned 18. That was last October. Now she's suing her parents for money to go to college.

According to News 12 New Jersey, Morris Catholic High School senior Rachel Canning says that her parents kicked her out last year. Rachel's dad, a former Linden Park police chief, says that his daughter voluntarily moved out.

Canning, who left her parents' house on her 18th birthday, is currently staying with a friend's family. That friend's dad is currently funding a lawsuit seeking financial support from her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, accusing them of flouting their legal obligations as Rachel Canning's guardians.

The Daily Record reports the dispute began over Canning's resistance to her family's household rules. Her dad told the paper, "We're heartbroken, but what do you do when a child says, 'I don't want your rules, but I want everything under the sun and you to pay for it'?"

As the Daily Mail notes, the current legal dispute is about whether Canning has emancipated herself from her parents' care, and thus dissolved their legal duty to provide for her. New Jersey law doesn't automatically emancipate minors who turn 18.

The Mail quotes Canning's lawyer, who "says her client has not 'moved beyond (her parents') sphere of influence' and per New Jersey law may be deemed non-emancipated. ... But the attorney for Mr. and Mrs. Canning ... is claiming Rachel removed herself from that 'sphere of influence' when she voluntary left her parents' home."

In addition to access to a college tuition fund, Canning is also suing her parents for the cost of a $5,000 unpaid high school bill, transportation and living expenses, and legal fees that have so far totaled more than $12,000.

jnjbeery March 04 2014 at 8:43 AM

When you can't abide by your parents rules at home it is time to go it on your own and all the costs that go with it. This is a good example of people that want there cake and eat it to, I hope the judge denies her.

clp9455 March 04 2014 at 8:32 AM

Your parents owe you nothing, You were 18 years old when you left home , so was I, I put myself through college..you are considered an adult at 18 in the USA.

Laura March 04 2014 at 8:32 AM

The "entitled" generation. They were brought up thinking that they are the center of the universe. They think that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter without them having to work for it. Play a sport. Everyone gets a trophy for participating. You don't have to work hard at wining. The accolades are handed to you anyway for just being on the team. This is the way they are brought up today. When they get into the real world, they are blindsided by reality and can't make it. So sad.

Norma March 04 2014 at 8:31 AM

College tuiton is not a right but an earned privilege. She chose to leave the family abode because of rules. Since when does an 18 year old dictate the rules. The father funding the lawsuit is an idiot and any lawyer that would take the case is out of his mind. If this child wins this case, then it opens the door for every teen ager that doesn't like family rules to move out and still get benefits.

oommma March 04 2014 at 8:29 AM

With any luck one day the daughter will realize exactly how ridiculous her claims are. Clearly her friends parents are a little confused about parenting. Who in their right mind would fund a lawsuit for a child against a parent? If there was a case for abuse then make that the case, otherwise stay out of it. The fact that a lawyer took her case really makes me wonder about that lawyer too.

cakesbysk oommma March 04 2014 at 8:37 AM

Lawyers will take on any kind of case if you pay them enough, it's all about money with them, they have no morals, they have no sense of right or wrong, It's all the money

olwty7 March 04 2014 at 8:29 AM

Another ungrateful teen with an unfounded & misplaced sense of entitlement. & to the family harboring her: I pray you reap what u have sown. How can you encourage a child to sue her parents over this?

lchurch291 March 04 2014 at 8:28 AM

The level of entitlement has just reached its apex. Apparently, everyone is entitled to everything they want, and someone else can just pay for it. It's not surprising since this is the message this girl has had since she was an adolescent; a message that there's no reason to be responsible for yourself, because it's someone else's job to give you what you want. That's what our current government is hell-bent on teaching the youth of America. What happened to self-reliance? To forging your own path and making your own way in the world?

lskkma March 04 2014 at 8:28 AM

Her parents are right. There are rules of the house and children living in that house no matter how old they are should respect and adhere to those rules. Some kids seem to think they are 18 and they don't have to listen to anyone, WRONG. I remember telling my children after hearing "... but I'm 18", I would tell them I don't care if you are 118, you live in my house you obey my rules! Don't like it? There's the door. I used to have a sign on the frig for my teenagers "Move out now while you still know everything". I would tell my kids when they have their own homes they get to make their rules. Now as a Grandmother I sit back and laugh when I hear my words coming out of my kids mouths when talking to their teens and tweens.
My guess is these parents basically said the same thing to their daughter. I don't believe they expected her to move in with her friend's family permanently. My guess is she would find out that all homes have rules, and the "grass isn't always greener...". She made her choice not to return home. She made the choice to want her so called freedom and as such she should get her lazy butt out the door of her friend's house get a job and pay rent to friend's parents.
She wants to be an adult in the real world... get out there, get a job, rent a room, buy your own food, pay all your own bills.
Grow up sweetie, you're an adult now, your parents and the world owe you nothing. Guess looking back being a kid and having to live by house rules and curfews doesn't look all that bad now does it.

bullmesht March 04 2014 at 8:26 AM

What's wrong with her? I'm thinking what's wrong with the jerk who's funding the lawsuit. I wonder what the friend's father is getting out of it.

Wally G Stone bullmesht March 04 2014 at 8:36 AM

Probably something more than an extra 18 years old living under his roof...

STEVE bullmesht March 04 2014 at 8:40 AM

her living expenses will be paid to him,, and probably some type of sex. A few videos of her parting in the non-parents home to a court would really show whats she's about

elaine March 04 2014 at 8:34 AM

Things in this country keep getting worse! What is wrong with people? I can see sheltering the girl to avoid any harm coming to her but funding a suit against her parents? NUTS! People need to work things out. She is not the first dtr to rebel against rules. Consequences- move out- pay your own bills and then you can make your own rules!

claraga elaine March 04 2014 at 8:47 AM

you are right, I completely agree!