Ellen's Oscars jab made some cringe

Liza Minnelli Was All Over The Academy Awards

Ellen Degeneres could be considered a big winner in her own right as host of the 2014 academy awards - but Liza Minnelli should probably be recognized for a supporting role. The icon seemed to turn up everywhere. Beginning with an awkward moment in the opening monologue.

"And I have to say, one of the most amazing Liza Minnelli impersonators I have ever seen in my entire life. Really. Seriously. Good job, sir. I mean that is really..."

Yep, Liza didn't look too happy.

But she wasn't alone -- the Washington Post looked at the Internet's reaction to the jab; the general consensus? It was "mean" and "transphobic."

MTV agreed -- it was the only joke that took it too far. The rest of DeGeneres' monologue was in good fun.

Still, some thought Minelli was asking for it -- she has seemingly had a considerable amount of plastic surgery recently.

But, to be honest, we weren't looking at Liza's face Sunday night. We were looking at her hair. The 67-year-old showed up with a blue streak to match her blue jumpsuit look.

lynnpipr March 03 2014 at 11:36 AM

Liza looked ridiculous! She's 67 and should allow herself to age gracefully, not try look like she did years ago - it doesn't work well for any of the stars. If she is foolish enough to have surgeries that make her look so unnatural, then she needs to be ready for the unkind reactions when she goes out in public. Ellen just said what all of us were thinking.
As far as the show goes - they need to eliminate all of the comedy act roasting and just give out the awards.

mimahas5 March 03 2014 at 2:30 PM

It seams to me that Liza Minelli has the start of Parkinson's. Something is not right with her... Her speech has been slurred for a while and her body movements seam to show signs of Parkinson's

happelt19 mimahas5 March 03 2014 at 2:34 PM

I say it was pot

Diana March 03 2014 at 10:18 AM

I didn't realize it was a joke, I thought it was a male impersonation! Wow, Minelli looked bad.

Shalom, Carmela Diana March 03 2014 at 12:22 PM

I also did not realize it was joke and thought it was male impersonator too and yes Liza did look bad so why the snarky comment? it was not funny.

Judy March 03 2014 at 3:39 PM

What a shock, I had no idea that WAS Liza Minnelli...... and I love her....

David..BRAAPP March 03 2014 at 5:36 PM

Liza didn't look that young when she was that young.

Dawn March 03 2014 at 1:15 PM

All of these people look like they came from the "Island of Dr. Moreau" . Please stop with the botox, implants, etc.,.....you look like monsters.

Mama Dawn March 03 2014 at 1:44 PM

I was really sad to see that Goldie Hawn finally caved to a total facelift with huge cheek implants, no less. Wish she'd just left things alone and aged gracefully.........she's lost her great smile and that infectious laugh is gone............she can't open her mouth enough to laugh..........so much botox. What a shame. :(

onlyway2goisup March 03 2014 at 6:26 PM

Seems like Liza wanted her face lift and facial work to make her look more like her mother rather her dad.

shoobee10 March 03 2014 at 9:27 AM

I thought Ellen was great, Pink was fantastic and of course, Bett, the whole show was great. However I wish Bruce had of won one, he's been in a lot of movies, I also thought Sandra should habe won, she looked really great.

BILLY shoobee10 March 03 2014 at 10:01 AM

That was the 9th wonder of the world.Hollywood's ... Princess did not win.

Im glad Cate Blanchett won the Award.

nonidarlin March 03 2014 at 6:39 PM

I watched the entire Academy Awards. The very best I've seen in many years. Ellen's job was above reproach - she is expected to poke fun, and she does it with a special niceness. The highlight for me was when Pink did her version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow; it was special. Sometimes the Academy is much nicer than we realize. For those few hours, my mind was off the troubles of the world. Thank you Academy

Sunny nonidarlin March 03 2014 at 9:10 PM

She wasn't nice to Liza. It went beyond poking fun. Yes, Pink was great.

delciedear March 03 2014 at 5:53 PM

I don't know if the sightings were of the real Liza or someone made up to look like Liza but, that face screams "I've been lifted and lifted and lifted again"..........She looks terrible. Why can't women just accept the fact that we all age and we can't look at 67 the same as we did at 27.........Try to fix mother nature's handiwork and she will win every time leaving you in her dust.

World Series