A new guy brings the news on 'Saturday Night Live'

Colin Jost Performs At Seminole Casino Coconut Creek
NEW YORK (AP) - A new guy was presiding at the "Weekend Update" news desk on "Saturday Night Live."

Colin Jost (johst), the NBC comedy show's head writer, made his first appearance on the spoof newscast, seated alongside co-anchor Cecily Strong.

The baby-faced, anchor-handsome Jost began by voicing gratitude for his new on-air role. He called it "a dream come true."

Among his news items was the 50th anniversary of Pop-Tarts, which he described as "the official breakfast of kids whose parents are in way over their heads."

He succeeds longtime "Update" anchor Seth Meyers, who exited a month ago and last week debuted as host of the network's "Late Night."

Jost joined the "SNL" writing staff in 2005. He wrote and appears in the upcoming film "Staten Island Summer."

Terry Foreman March 02 2014 at 12:23 PM

This show has provided a gate way to bigger things for so many actors. Let's give the new guys a chance to settle in and find their characters. And let's face it, things we found funny in the 70's just aren't funny anymore. The older watchers, myself included, have to look at a different type of humor. And yes, like many of you, I don't find much of the material funny anymore. Just stupid, not funny.

foubabou Terry Foreman March 02 2014 at 12:40 PM

I remember a smokey, hazy night back in '75 when my buddy went to sleep and his wife and I turned on the TV. One of the first SNLs with Richard Prior as host. (Did the word association skit w/Chevy Chase). We laughed so hard we cried. Had no idea what this new show was. Spent the rest of the 70s going out to dinner and hurrying home to watch SNL? 80s too.

Lots of brilliant comedians have passed through that show over the decades. Sure they've had some bad weeks and years but the bar was set pretty high in the beginning. I'll continue to watch even though the last few have been huge disappointments. But just let the new writers and actors get their sea legs under them. SNL, as it has so many times before, will rise again from the ashes and give us a whole fresh crop of writers and comedians.

GARY foubabou March 02 2014 at 5:47 PM

Don't hold your breath. The show has really hit a low this season.....Sea legs?...Really?......The show does have some sort of legacy to live up to......

Flag +1 rate up
Jill R Nudo Terry Foreman March 02 2014 at 1:25 PM

Terry Foreman, for me, if I try to stay a little current on what the younger Metro crowd is into the skits are funnier. When I am into my life in general, I find them dumb because I have no clue what they are relating to. I have found SNL to be funnier than ever the past five years or so. Perhaps it is because I am so much younger now and am not taking myself and life so seriously. The older I get, the better I get, at least in MY mind. Thanks for sticking up for the new guys too. We humans are so quick to judge and put down any and everything that is not what WE think it should be. Minds be OPEN! peace

notno13 March 02 2014 at 1:39 PM

blow most of the cast out like they did in mid 80s keep strong and killam

peacockjp March 02 2014 at 6:18 PM

Well -- I didn't watch SNL this past weekend -- and -- I'm sorry -- I would have enjoyed seeing this guy. Well - Maybe Next Weekend.

landslowrance March 02 2014 at 11:09 AM

Been watching SNL since the 70's. I changed channels after 30 minutes. I'll try again next week. I hope they do too.

bds6543 landslowrance March 02 2014 at 12:40 PM

I agree. except for the opening with spoof of Ellen DeGeneres. That was funny, but downhill from there on.

kjperes March 02 2014 at 11:08 AM

That was one of the worst shows Ive ever seen in my prestigious 38 year career of SNL-watcher! Other than Taran Killam's "Jebidiah Atkinson," I didn't laugh at all. Colin Jost is not strong or charismatic enough to anchor, and the skits weren't funny at all. It's sad, really. I was a bit shocked that the "Ellen" skit wasn't funny...it usually is, as Kate McKinnon is super-talented, but something was awry, unfortunately.

Cookie March 02 2014 at 11:02 AM

Just saw the beginning of the show because I love "Sheldon". The writing is just terrible! They need some new talent. The "Ellen" bit was painful and a waste of talent.

ocat512 March 02 2014 at 10:32 AM

Since Kristin Weig and rest of regulars left the show has not been able to fill the void. I miss the old sketches and I miss the old hosts. Alex Baldwin Christopher Walkin were great. The host selections haven't been the greatest. I hope this show can turn around, I have been an avid viewer since the 70's.

landslowrance ocat512 March 02 2014 at 11:11 AM

Walken as Colonel Lingus?

iwonymary March 02 2014 at 9:49 AM

First rule of comedy: Never laugh at your own jokes. Between Cecily's mindless giggling and his guffaws this was the worst team ever. Neither seems to possess an IQ point among them.
Sad that Lorne Michaels has let his show devolve into this. Worst show ever!

jcalavera March 02 2014 at 9:30 AM

Out of all the items they put videos on this is the one they choose not to? It would seem appropriate here.

Gloria March 02 2014 at 8:29 AM

Good luck Colin, I hope your stay is a long and happy one

World Series