LeBron requested to switch to clear mask by NBA

MIAMI (AP) - LeBron James dispensed with his menacing black mask at the NBA's request and switched to a clear protective cover for the Miami Heat's game Saturday against the Orlando Magic.

The black mask made its debut Thursday in James' first game since he broke his nose. He said he received word from league officials Friday that they wanted him to instead wear something that would allow opponents to see his face.

"It's not a league rule, but it's the league's request that you don't wear the black one," James said before Saturday's game. "The reasons they told me didn't make sense to me, but I'm just a player. I will abide by the request."

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver spoke Friday with Nick Arison, son of the team owner, about the matter. James said he didn't want to make a big issue of it.

"I'm good with the NBA," James said with a smile. "I am not against the NBA. I had a request, and I fulfilled it."

Teammate Dwyane Wade said he warned James the league would give the black mask a thumbs-down.

"I told him after Thursday's game, 'You have fun, because it ain't happening the next game,'" Wade said. "It was fun. A lot of attention, a lot of T-shirts are going to be made, a lot of Instagram posts. Now we move on to something else."

James agreed that the black mask was a marketing success, with feedback he received universally positive. He said he may give the mask to charity so it can be auctioned off.

"Everyone loved it," James said. "I got stuff, from 'You look very menacing,' to 'You look like a superhero,' to 'You look amazing.' A little bit of everything. No one told me it was terrible."

Not even league officials.

"I think they loved it as well," James said.

Minister Harold March 02 2014 at 10:40 PM

Go ahead LeBron, you have always been an inovator!

flyingfortresb17 March 02 2014 at 1:14 PM

Let's see. He is black and the mask is black fiberglass. His eye-holes are large and they can see his eyes. The problem is they fell intimidated? Now is that intimidation due to his ability or the mask.

gsdchablis March 02 2014 at 12:57 PM

As a retired US Army 1SG I have a great deal of respect for LaBron James . Everyone admires his talent. But for me it's his strength of CHARACTER. He is the MVP because he puts team first in basketball, and his family first in life. Moor popular individuals should follow his example.

beverlyamy1 gsdchablis March 02 2014 at 2:04 PM

you said it ,and thanks for your service.

pathfinder5834 March 02 2014 at 12:55 PM

Maybe he's still trying to hide his face from Cleveland....you can hide your face but you can't hide your reputation...my Mom raised me to never forget your meager beginnings when you become successfull..He's a man of great achievements in his field but not much on Morality..

hclapp1164 pathfinder5834 March 02 2014 at 5:15 PM

So if you were offered a promotion with a different company, you would turn it down to remain loyal to your present company? I doubt it. Same principle. He was just furthering his career, no different than the average person changing jobs to further their career. I'm not even an LB fan but Cleveland needs to quit whining and get some decent players to help the young talent they have now - Kyrie Irving - before he cuts and runs too.

aries932 March 02 2014 at 9:34 PM

or a Black Lone Ranger

flip33732 March 02 2014 at 7:07 PM

I like the mask. I heard a comment that the league objected because it was hard to see his eyes and face. Who cares,I doubt his opponents are watching his eyes. If you're playing against Lebron and are trying to look into his eyes,your next move will be to try and find your jock.

Trigger806 March 02 2014 at 12:42 PM

why do opponents need to see his face,they already know who it is

rodshiley71 March 02 2014 at 12:40 PM

AOL.....when are you going to stop these bloggers from advertising their SCAMS in the comment sections? They are in every single one of your articles and the number is increasing daily. They are annoying to say the least. If you don't put a stop to it now you are going to lose your audience and your advertisers.

TB rodshiley71 March 02 2014 at 12:53 PM

While we're at it, we shoud all press AOL to drop the Zsa Zsa Huffington connection.....we don't need her constant 0bamalooniness.

jstactzn TB March 02 2014 at 1:04 PM

Hmmm...I don't find her as annoying as your obvious hero - who never met a fact he didn't forget.

Flag +1 rate up
jstactzn rodshiley71 March 02 2014 at 1:03 PM

Agree! I always flag them as abusive in the hopes that someone will catch them before they are allowed in the comments section. So far, I cannot tell it is making any difference, so thanks for your comment bringing it to their attention.

joe March 02 2014 at 12:30 PM

Who cares he is not using a bat or a knife is he and not using it for face bunting. Gig deal, Gobble Gobble

Dave March 02 2014 at 9:31 AM

What's the big deal with the mask? The clear ones are really ugly. The one Lebron's wearing actually looks nicer.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal