LeBron requested to switch to clear mask by NBA

MIAMI (AP) - LeBron James dispensed with his menacing black mask at the NBA's request and switched to a clear protective cover for the Miami Heat's game Saturday against the Orlando Magic.

The black mask made its debut Thursday in James' first game since he broke his nose. He said he received word from league officials Friday that they wanted him to instead wear something that would allow opponents to see his face.

"It's not a league rule, but it's the league's request that you don't wear the black one," James said before Saturday's game. "The reasons they told me didn't make sense to me, but I'm just a player. I will abide by the request."

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver spoke Friday with Nick Arison, son of the team owner, about the matter. James said he didn't want to make a big issue of it.

"I'm good with the NBA," James said with a smile. "I am not against the NBA. I had a request, and I fulfilled it."

Teammate Dwyane Wade said he warned James the league would give the black mask a thumbs-down.

"I told him after Thursday's game, 'You have fun, because it ain't happening the next game,'" Wade said. "It was fun. A lot of attention, a lot of T-shirts are going to be made, a lot of Instagram posts. Now we move on to something else."

James agreed that the black mask was a marketing success, with feedback he received universally positive. He said he may give the mask to charity so it can be auctioned off.

"Everyone loved it," James said. "I got stuff, from 'You look very menacing,' to 'You look like a superhero,' to 'You look amazing.' A little bit of everything. No one told me it was terrible."

Not even league officials.

"I think they loved it as well," James said.

jmac March 02 2014 at 8:08 PM

Just Sayin Michael "Airness" Jordan didnt need no mask,but then again he didnt need
two super stars around him so he could win.Peace,again Lebron is crazy sick,he is way
ahead of the group,but not ahead of Jordan,nor will he be. I did some stats a month ago.
dont quote me,but I believe this is correct ,Lebron would need to average 44 points a night.
OUCH!

plaitkool jmac March 02 2014 at 8:34 PM

and why do you think lebron needs a mask to be awesome? he only is wearing it because he injured his nose, i don't think it will be a part of a basket ball player wardrobe anytime soon. and i think you are missing the point again comparing jordan with lebron, lebron is not a finest player like jordan was, lebron uses his power to score points, jordan used his finest talent to score points , they are totally different players, dwyane wade could be compared to jordan because wade is a finest player like jordan. but neither lebron's or wade's career is over yet to make comparisons untill then we can have a better judgement.

jmac plaitkool March 02 2014 at 9:19 PM

Kool totally agree,yes I did compare because 99/100 people who watch B Ball
do. I gave Lebron his props,hes good,no he is great,just not a Michael Jordan.
The reason I even looked the stats up was the young guys today that I am around
,was showing Mike no respect,so I did a farely intense comparing of the two. Hey
Lebron is sick crazy mad with the ball in his hands,but we have yet to see another
"Airness". Peace no disrespect meant.

Flag 0 rate up
Hot Hot Daddy March 02 2014 at 10:12 AM

He is the greatest BB player ever and he is a super hero to all of his Heat fans, just play ball.

bfgair March 02 2014 at 10:28 AM

He with the most money rules. Common sence and right or wrong have nothing to do with it.

The one's with the clown masks don't like to be outdone.

belldn3 March 02 2014 at 10:46 AM

Silly, it's just a mask for his broken nose. Like his opponents are going to stop his skills anyway. It's not the mask people, it's his ability. You can't hang with him....................The mask is menacing???? Please. lol.

superstar March 02 2014 at 5:08 PM

He's LeBron! Need to say nothing more!

cyretired March 02 2014 at 10:48 AM

I guess pinks out.

Carlos March 02 2014 at 4:52 PM

LeBron is still the best player in the league, regardless. He is always the gentleman, always polite, never about himself, always about what is best for the league. What a guy! Go Sir James, we love you! We want our children, grandchildren to be like you!

bamafatz March 02 2014 at 4:45 PM

Great job King James it's all about you're game not the Mask...

crrunch March 02 2014 at 4:44 PM

whatever works - just let the man play.

carpesteakum March 02 2014 at 11:00 AM

I don't understand why people are whining about ego in this situation. HE BROKE HIS NOSE. It serves a function and he's hardly the first athlete to have to wear a mask like this. Honestly, the black mask looks much less ridiculous than the clear one, so I completely understand why he picked that one. The ruling is silly.

World Series