Postgame brawl on court involves Utah Valley fans

Brawl At End Of Game Involves Fans

OREM, Utah (AP) -- A wild brawl involving players and fans who came onto the court broke out when New Mexico State guard K.C. Ross-Miller hurled the ball at Utah Valley's Holton Hunsaker seconds after the Wolverines' 66-61 overtime victory against the Aggies on Thursday night.

Ross-Miller picked up the ball at midcourt and fired it at Hunsaker - the son of Utah Valley coach Dick Hunsaker - from close range, hitting him in the leg.

New Mexico State guard DK Eldridge was in the middle of the scrum before he was dragged away by Aggies coaches as order was restored.

"It was a very heated, emotional game and if any of my guys did anything that was out of line, they will be punished to the 10th degree," New Mexico State coach Marvin Menzies said in an interview posted on the school's website. "That may affect wins and losses, but they need to learn some life lessons after something like that. That is not going to happen in my program, and it's just embarrassing."

The fight immediately followed Utah Valley's victory in the showdown of Western Athletic Conference co-leaders.

"I don't know what exactly happened. I was kind of going over to shake hands," Menzies said. "I want to apologize for K.C.'s actions. From what I understand, he threw the ball after the game was over and had expired. I don't know what provoked it. I mean, Hunsaker's a little chippy himself so he may have said something or done something, but you just can't respond. I mean, we showed them plenty of clips where they do things that can get underneath your skin a little bit and you've got to be tougher than that mentally, and I'm just upset that he did that."

Menzies initially indicated Ross-Miller wouldn't play in the team's next game Saturday at Bakersfield, but then said he needs to see video of the altercation before determining any discipline.

"I've got to look and see what happened," Menzies said. "I don't know what suspensions are going to come down. There's going to be a lot of video to sort through on this. I think the game was over, so I don't know (if) the coming-off-the-bench rule is applied. I think when their fans stormed the court I think it kind of ... convoluted things a little bit because some of the guys apparently said they felt threatened. Daniel (Mullings) said he actually got hit."

Ben Aird scored 21 points and Keawe Enos made clutch free throws for Utah Valley.

Enos hit three free throws with 4 seconds left in regulation to force overtime and made four more in the last 11 seconds of the extra session. He finished with 11 points for the Wolverines (17-10, 11-3), and Zach Nelson added 10.

Mullings led the Aggies (21-9, 10-4) with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Sim Bhullar had 10 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks.

Utah Valley closed regulation with an 8-1 run over the last 2 1/2 minutes.

Eldridge's 3-pointer put New Mexico State up 56-55 with 3:26 left in overtime, but Utah Valley scored seven straight, four from Aird, who had six in overtime.

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

j3zim February 28 2014 at 6:53 AM

Hope it was worth throwing that ball.

Paul j3zim February 28 2014 at 10:24 AM

I have a feeling the guy that threw the ball doesn't go to class. Is that the same as "no class"?

gosoaring10 February 28 2014 at 8:54 AM

Higher education really? It's just a damned game--get a life idiots.

NicktheMan February 28 2014 at 11:10 AM

Is this South Korea? Where politicians throw chairs and people punch each other out at sporting events? If these men can't play a game, where usually one LOSES and one WINS, then they'd better take basket weaving for their physical ed. requirement. What a bunch of BABIES! A lot of pent up hatred being unleashed here. If they can't play in a sportsmanlike manner, get rid of them and get somebody who can. Plenty of up and coming basketball players out there. This unbridled free-for-all, and to-hell-may-care attitude at sporting events is getting WAY out of hand.

aaron.vogan February 28 2014 at 12:10 PM

John & Yvonne February 28 2014 at 11:02 AM

Is AOL.com no longer posting pictures or videos? RE: this story and the high school prom billboard. Huh?

js February 28 2014 at 9:32 AM

We are getting closer and closer to the Lord of the Flies.

Bob February 28 2014 at 7:57 AM

Boys will be boys!

chavoeh2o February 28 2014 at 12:02 PM

I went to a basketball game and saw a wrestling/boxing match! Suspend the players on both teams and students! It would suck if the NCAA decided to come up with a rule, No More Rushing Onto the Court after the game. Actually, might not be a bad idea, maybe that way it would keep everybody in check. We as a society have really changed and it ain't for the good!

rbell72981 February 28 2014 at 7:19 AM

A reflection of todays world. We have been letting people get by with more and more and now the chickens are coming home to roost. People started rewarding kids for doing what they should do instead of punshinment for not doing it and now they think they can do anything with out getting pushinment.

Mike February 28 2014 at 9:28 AM

People don't know how to win or lose gracefully anymore. This whole line of crap about "not being disrespected" is troublesome. Grow up or go home to your mama. Add to it, the need for fans to think they are more important to the game and this is what you get. I love sports but have no ambition to go to a live event anymore.