Yes, you really can be allergic to the cold

Yes, You Really Can Be Allergic to the Cold
We're constantly hearing about people being allergic to things like peanuts and shellfish, but how often do we learn that someone is allergic to cold temperatures? Nope, we're not making that up. HLN says it's a real allergy.

'People who have this apparently get itchy hives when they're in the cold and they even swell up just drinking something cold, like iced coffee.'

The allergy is known as cold urticaria, and the Mayo Clinic says people with the condition can experience hives, swelling of the limbs, and even have their throats close up when their skin is exposed to temperatures lower than 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Two years ago, USA Today profiled Grant Schlager, a 12-year-old boy from Minnesota who has the condition.

The publication reports that after being outside for 15 minutes, Grant's parents check his body for bumps - and sometimes it's too risky to even swim in a pool. Grant takes antihistamines twice a day and carries around an EpiPen.

Woman's Day put together a list of the ten most highly unusual allergies, and cold did make the list.

Although this might sound like the perfect excuse to get out of work or school, HLN says - not so fast. Only about 100,000 people in the world have the cold allergy, and it's nothing to wish upon yourself.

LL March 03 2014 at 2:07 PM

I'm allergic to the beguiled and ungodly human race ..... but what can I do, except to tolerate the hives, suppress that choking feeling, and do the best that I can do around those of you out there, who seem to go out of your way to usher more and more filth and disgust into the world; and you know who are - cause you're the same ones that keep voting in the likes of Barack, to support your "ways" .

Carol L. Newell LL March 03 2014 at 3:41 PM

Exactly!!

LovesongJ March 03 2014 at 8:23 PM

I dont believe only 100,000 people in the world have it. The guy that shoveled snow off my roof the other day mentioned he gets hives from the cold and I have had them twice, the first time when I was in my twenties, while go-karting on a frozen lake and I had hives once after. So if two of us right here in Duuth have it and we are far from the same nationality, I don't believe only 100,000 people in the world have Urticaria.

kmyjoy March 03 2014 at 10:18 AM

whatever allergies one has there is always an answer....thank God for great Doctors...we need road crews workers to be that way about the snow covered roads....need new ideas just like Doctors...we need the Road Doctor...to come up with new ideas on how to treat the road for safety...most of us still have to work...Road Doctor is what we need...you hear it first here...be encouraged and learn how to encourage yourself...the snow does same thing every year...read a good book...suggestion...the Bible...start with Proverbs...John etc...Norman Vincent Peels book on positive thinking...negative thoughts loose dangerous enzymes into your body that makes you sick...say something good to you...and be kind to yourself and it will spill over to others...the weather persons are always giving their negative comments to us...reject that and replace it with...this to shall pass...been there before and will do it again...its going to rain...same thing...this to shall pass...been through the rain...keep on saying something to brighten up your day and enjoy your life...we can not change the weather...but we can change how we think about it and go through it...encourage yourself...and God Bless

ptoth26 March 03 2014 at 10:22 AM

I have this. It came while I was pregnant at 32, I am now 63 and still have it. Air conditioning really. Bothers me. I find the only thing that controls it is taking a Zyrtec and Allegra at the same time. They have to be taken together for it to work. But within 15 or20 minutes it works.

yojoe* March 03 2014 at 10:22 AM

Wow. There is a word for it. I had this. Whenever I was cold I would break out into hives. But it didnt have to be cold, it would only have to be a drop in temperature (say from an air conditioner). When we called Duke University Hospital about it they said that I would probably eventually grow out of it, which I did around 26 or so.

brwnysbrb yojoe* March 03 2014 at 11:03 AM

Weather has bothered me since I was born. I had asthma when I was born and still do. To this day, any weather change, makes it hard for me to breath or it causes my nose to be so stuffed up I can't breath through it.

rebecca March 03 2014 at 10:34 AM

I used to think the allergy dr's. of my youth were crazy they said I was allergic to snow. I lived outside of Buffalo NY. But I did have a lot of these reactions. I still do. The rash and such the hard breathing. I thought everyone did this....

brwnysbrb rebecca March 03 2014 at 11:01 AM

I know i'm allergic to the cold. It is very hard for me to breath when temps get down in the 30's. The cold temps actually do make ones body swell. So I stay indoors a lot during the frigid cold months.

Jason March 03 2014 at 11:21 AM

my daughter has that. started on her cheeks a few years ago trick or treating. now any skin exposed looks like a huge blister. so far it has not caused her asthma to act up yet.Zyrtec everyday for winter and benedryl before playing outside or going into any cold waters including lakes and oceans now. sucks cuz we live in Wisconsin and love the weather changes and beauty, but we also like to travel. hopeing it gets better instead of getting worse.

Katspurrs March 03 2014 at 4:50 PM

I came down with it when I was about 14 years old. I lived in N.H. In my 20's moved to Houston Texas area it still gets cold here. I found out purely by mistake that simply taking an "ACTIFED" will prevent it. I worked construction also & was outside 100% of the time & the "Actifed" worked. I also worked in Colorado & Nebraska during the winter months & stocked up on the "ACTIFED"!! Was a cheap fix & worked. Now When I ride my Harley on a cool day I also take the ACTIFED. Now you have to sign for the meds.

Mary Sue March 03 2014 at 3:57 PM

Wow, so this I win, one out of 100,000! The lottery would have been a better win! I got this during my 40's. Dr. said it could go away at any time but.....it's been many years and I take a walk every year during cool fall temps and run back in the house and then stay indoors during the winter.

lrrp67 March 03 2014 at 1:59 PM

THIS IS ME!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE HAS RECOGNIZED THIS.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal