Study claims dogs feel no shame

Dogs Have No Shame, Despite Guilty Look: Experts

If you've ever scolded a dog for doing something it wasn't supposed to and it looked guilty - you know, the head down, ears back, worried eyes - well ... turns out that might all just be an act.

Behaviorists at Texas A&M suggest those puppy dog eyes are just a reaction to what they're owner is yelling at them about and they don't actually know what the big deal is. They simply lack shame and are thinking, "why is this human so upset?"

So all these dogs being shamed online aren't actually aware of the distress they've caused their owners? Well, they still make great photos anyway.

The next time your dog does something to make you crazy, experts suggest you just get over it and next time, don't leave those fuzzy slippers where they might become your pups next chew toy.

God Bless You February 27 2014 at 2:36 PM

I picked a dog from a ASPCA. A week after, I brought the dog to my house, I found out why somebody had taken the dog to the dog shelter: That dog destroyed two matresses, my couch, and a couple of living room chair...he looked guilty as hell, it was a little demon. He shew practically everything... guess what I did ? That dog can't reason....NO WAY JOSE. The devil knew exactly what he was doing !

dosiedee God Bless You February 27 2014 at 2:58 PM

Some dogs can reason, I have seen it with my own eyes. If you live closely with a dog for years they become more human. They can read you better and you can read them better. My youngest cocker(when he was just a baby0 wanted something on my bed and couldn't reach it. He tried a couple of times and then started to pull on the throw on the foot of the bed to pull it where he could reach it. Of course when he got it I took it away and told him no. Explain how he thought to do that if he didn't reason.

crarob February 27 2014 at 6:49 PM

All the dog knows is that you are angry at with it. It doesn't feel shame, it feels your anger.

lotsocurl February 27 2014 at 1:37 PM

I completely disagree with this article. I can tell when I come home if my dog has done something wrong. He won't run up to me, he will just be sitting there giving me that puppy eyed look! Dogs totally know when they have done something wrong!

bigfluffypup February 27 2014 at 1:35 PM

If you were getting a rather large paycheck being a "Behaviorist" you'd make up stories too! As dog owners we know our pooch.... My dog has feelings, has every emotion as we do. Our pooches would die for us. So tell the idiots our dogs are human too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BILLY February 27 2014 at 7:00 PM

ANYONE who has ever owned a dog knows this is rubbish.
I find it amazing how these eggheads wish to badmouth our beloved domestic pets.
All my dogs knew if they were wrong or were being naughty.
I wish i could say the same for the rotten people i know.

vdubrosa February 27 2014 at 1:20 PM

It seems that these behaviorists made a conclusion based on owner reaction "after the fact".
What about when a dog acts guilty before the owner is even aware of anything the dog may have done. Every dog owner can read their animal's behavior and many of us know these "experts" are just plain wrong. I suggest they go back and experiment again with a more "controlled" study, or interview dog owners.

Jean Marie February 27 2014 at 1:20 PM

Simply not true. Daughters dog would do something wrong and go put her self in time out. If the children could not find her they would go look for what she did wrong knowing she had put herself in time out..

rosugill February 27 2014 at 1:17 PM

That article is a heap of feces pure and simple. They know nothing about dogs.

BETH February 27 2014 at 1:12 PM

I don't think that is true. I walk in the house. Don't even know what she has done all I see is her cowardly standing in front of me.

grizzel_gal BETH February 27 2014 at 1:28 PM

yepppppppp! And have to go find out where my lab is hiding. He knowsssssssss darn well, he dumped the trash
in the kitchen, and is not suppose to do that!!!!!!!!

phantastic1 February 27 2014 at 1:05 PM

Texas A&M Behaviorists have no clue to what they are talking about on this one. Dogs can relate and understand what they did wrong, as long as you scold them immediately at the time they are doing it. They won't understand hours later. And not feeling guilt? Yes, it is obvious they do.