Woman receives letter saying she's dead

Woman Receives Letter Saying She's Dead

A woman from Maine found out she had recently passed away. Wait, what? "Fox & Friends" explains what happened.

'This happened to Shirley Beaver. She's a 79-year-old woman from Maine. She got a letter from her insurance company claiming that her prescription drug coverage had been canceled because she's dead.'

'I told my son, I says, 'you've got to come here ... I'm dead.' He says, 'what?' I says, 'I'm dead.' He says, 'how can you be dead when you're here?' ... I've never had good luck in my life anyway,' Beaver said.

The 79-year-old told WGME she's taking care of her two sons while relying on Social Security to make ends meet. Beaver says one of her sons is disabled and the other has suffered four heart attacks and a stroke.

She says she couldn't get her prescription for her heart condition because of the mix-up. "Fox & Friends" reports Beaver's medicine is worth about $1,000 a month.

So, as the Morning Sentinel reports, Beaver and one of her sons took a 22-mile trip to the local Social Security office to straighten things out.

Currently, nothing has been resolved yet, but Beaver told the Morning Sentinel she's praying everything will work itself out.

litlsisrides February 26 2014 at 7:47 PM

My mother has received two...not one...TWO letters over two years that she was dead!!!! She is very much alive. Her first letter, she was 95 and thought it was funny, but at 97, she didn't think the second letter was as funny!!!!

Linda Dorfmont February 26 2014 at 3:33 PM

She should get her Congresscritter involved in this. She may really die and her sons along with her because normal channels will take too long. Congress folk should be good for something.

fentex5 Linda Dorfmont February 26 2014 at 6:32 PM

"Congress folk should be good for something".

Alas, most of them are good for nothing. Never feed a smart ass like me a straight line begging for a smart ass response.

cnysahd50 February 26 2014 at 3:41 PM

screw ups like this happen all the time. I continually get a letter from my Dad's insurance company offering thier condolences on his passing (over 3 years ago), later in that same letter I am asked to contact them within 10 days of the date letter was sent or he will lose his health insurance coverage.
Hello????!?

paintcharmer February 26 2014 at 3:42 PM

This country does not take care of our elderly, they can just sit and rot. This poor woman living on social security with two disabled son's, it's a wonder they can buy food. But our government dosen't care as long as long as the politico's are liveing the fat life , is all that matters. sad very sad. We keep sendinig billion's to all these countries who hate us , while our city's our going bankrupt Something is wrong with this picture

d1anaw paintcharmer February 26 2014 at 4:13 PM

Well no because we have too many middle aged "kids" who think it's their parents' job to take care of them. What are they going to do when mommy and/or daddy are no longer around to support them and do everything for them?

denise February 26 2014 at 10:14 PM

I hope people can send you money -- small, large amounts to ease your worries. I hope someone creates a fund page for you. You sound like a great person struggling to make do with so very little. Bless you and may this lead to good things for you.

rsgcooks February 26 2014 at 4:03 PM

I had my ATM card refused so I called the bank .....I too was listed as dead on the banks system someone keyed in wrong SS# of a deceased person. The bank employee was shocked when I could answer all security questions etc.

ctslair rsgcooks February 26 2014 at 4:46 PM

But hey, now the bank employee can say she can talk to dead people...lololol

agentpinkdog February 26 2014 at 4:14 PM

The Insurance Company sent a letter addressed to a dead woman. Is there any common sense left? nope so is she dead or not

agentpinkdog February 26 2014 at 4:15 PM

A woman from Maine found out she had recently passed away how can that happen

Pinchas February 26 2014 at 4:28 PM

Will Social Security reimburse this woman who is obviously in hard times physically and financially for the cost of this trip to correct THEIR obvious mistake???
She should sue them for the stress this put her under.

invmartyc February 26 2014 at 4:48 PM

Sounds like the insurance company hopes that by her not having her medications she will truly die and save them money. This should be criminal.