Seth Meyers' 'Late Night' debut draws biggest audience since 2005

(Reuters) - Comedian Seth Meyers' debut as the host of NBC's "Late Night" talk show on Monday pulled in about 3.4 million viewers, the show's highest numbers overall as well as in the 18-49 age group coveted by advertisers since 2005, the television network said on Tuesday.

With a mixture of banter and jokes and guests comedian Amy Poehler and U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, Meyers managed to top the premiere audience numbers of his predecessor Jimmy Fallon, who left the show to replace Jay Leno as host of NBC's flagship late-night program "The Tonight Show" a week ago.

Fallon attracted 2.8 million viewers when he took over "Late Night" in March 2009, according to figures from Nielsen Media Research.

Meyers and Fallon both starred on the comedy sketch show "Saturday Night Live" before joining the late night talk shows.

At 40, Meyers is the oldest host in the history of the Comcast Corp-owned NBC network show and follows in the footsteps of David Letterman and Conan O'Brien.

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; Editing by Eric Kelsey and Eric Walsh)

Carol's AOL February 26 2014 at 3:57 PM

I like both shows. The only problem I have is the audience is to loud. Both Jimmy and Seth are pretty soft spoken guys so the audience kills a lot of their great comments.

jonkane24 Carol's AOL February 26 2014 at 4:07 PM

Both shows have lousy sound engineers. They should put microphones on both sides of their jackets because when they turn their heads much of their comments are lost.

Chris&Cheryl February 26 2014 at 10:43 PM

Not to worry! I thought Jimmy Fallon had a rocky start to Late Night too but grew into it. I'm not sure either of them will grow into Tonight or Late Night, however!

Tony Montana February 26 2014 at 1:52 PM

All of these late night "wise guys" are average at best. Craig Ferguson I feel is way above them with his genuine wit, empathy for the common man, no need for notes, teleprompters, or cue cards, and he challenges his veiwers with his intelligence in many categorys. That is why you will not "get" some of his jokes because you don't know history, other cultures, geography, etc. Not bad for a high school drop out and former alcoholic from Scotland.

YO REF February 26 2014 at 5:11 PM

someone has to fix his real ugly set. they should of given him fallons old set.

coopski1 February 26 2014 at 2:17 PM

Yeah well, he lost me last night with Kanye. Was Seth going for irony? Bringing on a guest who is the least intelligent, least self-aware, least intellectually or artistically sophisticated person on the planet ... I guess he's letting us know who his target audience is going to be early on. Kanye is a moron.

onalds February 26 2014 at 6:28 PM

Give him time. He will do just fine. And that is my two cents.

sallyyhiya February 26 2014 at 6:27 PM

I stay upto watch late show with creg ferguson .he is so funny naughty but nice lol...

Yo, Adrienne, sallyyhiya February 26 2014 at 6:55 PM

craig has gotten stale... loved him when that cheeky monkey first started. now, he's way too predictable. (did somebody say MUH-DER????)

jkstray sallyyhiya February 26 2014 at 10:54 PM

He is another good guy too. As is Leno.

erotkpoetlaureat February 26 2014 at 6:07 PM

I like Meyers. Fallon was too silly and hyper--laughing hysterically at everything the guest said, whether it was funny or not. His frenetic and frantic energy are exhausting. I will tune into Meyers now that Fallon is gone. It is too bad that Leno is gone.

abherfurth1 erotkpoetlaureat February 26 2014 at 6:35 PM

I agree 100%. For both show (Fallon & Meyers) It's like watching SNL 7 nights a week..... Seth is more watchable.... Fallon? No Class.

Charles T. Aiken February 26 2014 at 6:01 PM

I used to stay up to watch Jay Leno. I very So I thought I`d give Jimmy a chance. But after 3 nights of him I`d rather go to Bed,It`s not the same I hope NBC goes under for the big Scew up. Don`t worry Jay will make it anyplace he goes. He got the touch and knows how to talk to people. And he gives them Respect. Charles T. Aiken Love ya Jay

Janet February 26 2014 at 2:48 PM

Maybe Seth Meyers beat Jimmy Fallon's numbers because Myers has Fallon as a lead in. I am an old woman but I found Jay Leno's humor to be too old school for me. I love Jimmy Fallon; there is nothing he can't do. Seth Meyers is easily one of the most smartly funny people I've ever seen. I like that you sometimes have to take a beat before you get the joke. Keep on keeping on, you two! I may die of exhaustion but I'll die with a smile on my face--and I'm too old to die young.

1414241199460