"Prom angel" saves the day

Prom Angel Saves the Day in Pennsylvania

Megan Steimer is excited about the Penn Hills High School senior prom. She was also excited to go try on prom gowns, but her father wasn't as excited about how much the gown would cost.

Megan is 17 years old and has a part-time job at a nursing home. She offered to pay for the stunning aqua blue strapless gown she settled on at David's Bridal in Monroeville. It cost $202.00.

"He didn't really want me to do it because he wanted to be able to afford it," she said. "And I was just like, 'I understand you have to handle the mortgage and everything, so it's not a big deal if I pay for it.'"

In the middle of the discussion over who should pay for the gown, something happened. It turns out a bride who had come to the store to settle the bill on her wedding gown overheard the Steimer family talking about money.

"They came back and they handed me the receipt and I'm like, 'I didn't pay for this yet,'" said Megan Steimer.

Megan's mother approached her father and said, "Did you pay for this yet?' And they were both like, 'We didn't pay for anything yet.'"

"I'm like, 'Come on, what do you mean it's paid for?' They said the dress is paid for," said Gary Steimer.

Store manager Carina Bass was working at the store that day.

"We believe that (the bride) overheard a young lady getting her prom dress, talking about maybe going through some tough times, we're not sure what the whole conversation was," said Bass.

That bride then secretly paid for Megan's prom gown. She and her family are more than grateful.

Megan hopes to pay it forward someday.

"If I saw a young girl that can't afford a prom dress or wanted a prom dress so bad that her parents couldn't pay for it, I would pay for it immediately," she said.

Elizabeth March 01 2014 at 12:19 PM

There are still very nice people in the world.

berrysweetstuff Elizabeth March 01 2014 at 12:33 PM

There is nothing like a random act of kindness!

dewydakota March 01 2014 at 1:57 PM

I hope I get an opportunity to do that someday. I'll be looking, watching and waiting. I'm on SSI and a small pension but my heart isn't.

bertha50 dewydakota March 01 2014 at 2:12 PM

I do this a lot but mostly at grocery stores. These situations are not hard to find. Many times I see the person in front of me having the cashier pulling things from the order because they don't have the money for all of it. If they aren't buying booze or cigarettes, I will tell the cashier to ring it up and I pay for it for them. I call these my random acts of kindness. I also ran into a couple riding bikes through our State on vacation. They happened to stop at a store for treats that only accepts cash, which they didn't have so I paid for their order. If you look, you will find many situations where you can help.

Maillady Donna bertha50 March 01 2014 at 2:18 PM

May God continue to bless you so that you can continue doing for others. I do the same thing, and I know that God continues to bless me also. Have a blessed day!!

Flag +5 rate up
bertha50 dewydakota March 01 2014 at 2:20 PM

I am on SS, older and remember the days when dinner was chunky soup over rice EVERY night because we couldn't afford anything else. Most of these situations, the bill is under $10 but the appreciation is over the moon.

sbeldner914 March 01 2014 at 1:58 PM

God bless the Prom Angel, this young girl and her family. Now hopefully some employer in the area will offer a job to her dad. These are good people. Now there needs to be a job angel.

sabrecepts March 01 2014 at 2:16 PM

THIS IS WHAT WE ALL SHOULD STRIVE TO "DO" "BE" ...... IT'S AGIFT TO BE ABLE TO PAY IT FORWARD. THIS KIND ACTION IS WHAT MAKES MY DAY.

skinbus33 sabrecepts March 01 2014 at 5:20 PM

Ditto that!

phantastic1 March 01 2014 at 2:27 PM

It is really great to hear stories of human compassion and respect for one another. Our society needs more of these and less of the political dogma or the policing everyone else.

baustin127 March 01 2014 at 2:27 PM

What an amazing, compassionate act of kindness! Enjoy the prom, Megan, and I know you'll pay it forward when the time comes! There are many kind people in this world! Kudos to that beautiful, generous bride -- she is an angel in disguise in a bridal gown!

mnmfamilia March 01 2014 at 2:31 PM

Have Your Say...I remember the look of panic and glassy eyes of near tears fear that the young man in the prom tux had as he looked at the bill. I knew he had probably said yes to an extra item when he shouldn't have. I looked at my wife and winked. We smiled and called over the waitress. We covered that bill and wrote a well wish for fun and safety. Being young today seems so much harder than it was but some things remain timeless. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

skinbus33 mnmfamilia March 01 2014 at 5:19 PM

Kudos for such a kind act..

jeandelancey March 01 2014 at 2:40 PM

I hope someday before I die, I get the chance to do something like that.

The wonderful part of it is that the bride remained anonymous.

dbroidy11 jeandelancey March 01 2014 at 2:55 PM

An easy way to "pay it forward" that does not take much money is in the line at a fast food restaurant or Starbucks. After you order , and when you get to the pay window, offer to cover the order for the person behind you- especially if the car contains a mom and little kids. The employee handling the money can tell you what they ordered, and, if it is within your budget, will let you pay. I have done it. During the holidays you can go to any number of big box stores such as K-Mart, WalMart etc and ask at customer service if someone who has layaway order that has not been paid on , to cover the balance if it within your means. Or, ask friends and relatives to donate canned food and take it to a food bank. And there are numerous ways to help from donating time at various food panties and homes for seniors or settlement houses that take no money at all. You do not need any money to volunteer your time to help someone else. And you are right, the highest form of giving is that done anonymously.

skinbus33 jeandelancey March 01 2014 at 5:17 PM

You can do something like that any day you like. It doesn't take a gift, just a kind act which costs nothing.

gtm1549 March 01 2014 at 2:53 PM

there are some really nice people out there. We do need more of them badly!!

Deb and Tom March 01 2014 at 2:58 PM

We have been blessed with many wonderful people in our lives that have helped us in times of need and we would certainly do the same in return if we were able.