Little boy befriends sea lion

"Free Willy" isn't the only tale of friendship between a sea creature and a young boy.

Sophie the sea lion is known for being a lot of fun, and Alex, a little boy with Asperger syndrome, was thrilled she'd chosen him to play follow-the-leader.

'He likes me! ...Oh my gosh! ..This is the best thing of my life!,' Alex said in a YouTube video.

Alex's mom, Jennifer Bittner, wrote on Facebook that it was a special moment for her son.

'It was amazing to witness the connection that she and my son seemed to share. He ... sometimes has trouble interacting and playing with children his own age, but he and the Sea Lion seemed perfectly in sync.'

That they did, and we couldn't be happier Sophie picked Alex to play.

nyyankes23 February 27 2014 at 7:09 AM

Nice article for a change from all the horrible stories more and more.

billcostleybill nyyankes23 February 27 2014 at 11:23 AM

I quite agree.

folklifer February 27 2014 at 1:25 PM

Why, oh why, is the first thing you see under the comments section is people posting money making junk. This is just not the place for it. Then, we have the haters, who don't seem to have anything better to do. I try to go by the "Bambi philosophy", you know, the one where Thumper says that his mom told him, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Works for me! There is a lot of evidence that animals of all types have some sorts of empathy, etc. with people, and that they have incredible senses of smell and can identify and find over 100 different substances, why would we think that they might not be able to identify some differences in humans. Even if they can't, this little boy thinks he was picked out especially. It made his day, and his mom's. Leave them alone and let them enjoy it. His disease is difficult enough without all this pile-on. And, as far as "news" goes, I would a lot rather see this than another rape, kidnapping, murder, beating, or any of the thousand and one other depravities that we seem to be able to perpetrate on each other, and for which we seem to hunger for all the gory details, as news.
T

cattdogs folklifer February 27 2014 at 2:47 PM

I so agre, some people love starting problems, or an argument to cause friction, these people are not happy unless they can make others unhappy, they need mental help. Stop making our world ugly. Have a great day!

onlyway2goisup cattdogs February 27 2014 at 3:28 PM

Your post gave me a headache....ugh!

Flag 0 rate up
herdebrian February 27 2014 at 1:16 PM

Enrique, get a life then open your mind!!!

ginagena72 February 27 2014 at 12:20 PM

That is Awesome!!

Nancy February 27 2014 at 11:56 AM

Very touching...so glad Alex had this experience! Special children are given to special people!

skitzlpk February 27 2014 at 10:19 AM

They should invite Alex back on a weekly basis to see how much this particular seal identifies with the young man. Maybe line up a few children to see if there is some type of bond the seal correlates to & if he indeed chooses Alex due to a particular line of internal reasoning. There is no question that due to animal superiority of their sensual perception, they can pick up on details only known to them. It's up to us to identify those distinctions & capitalize for our own personal good. My male Johnson bulldog sought out the exact source of cancer on my female & would sniff that particular area on her until the sad bitter end. Instincts are not convoluted by peer pressure or politics or finance, they are an exact source of information..

B I L L February 28 2014 at 12:41 AM

It looks more like the sealion is looking for a reward as he keeps looking at the boys hands.

gghinmass February 27 2014 at 3:12 PM

What a great story. Do you think the Sea Lion connected with the little boy because he actually zoned into the Sea Lion and the Sea Lion picked up on that? So many of us today, see but don't really see or it dose not regester. Just a thought.

cattdogs February 27 2014 at 2:56 PM

I love it, When a child or even an adult are made to feel special, it makes out world a little brighter. Some people comment on all post to be mean, or negative, these are the people that really have problems. Must not of recieved any attention as a child, poor babies. Keep negative comments inside, just let the happy ones shine, try it just once.

stlouisra February 27 2014 at 2:52 PM

It still amazes me that animals can take a child like Alex and for a little while make him feel welcomed and loved, and not make him feel judged & different from everyone else. Animals don't know that difference, it's too bad that we supposedly who are an inferror race cannot due the same. We could learn a lot from these animals!!! I'm glad Alex had a great time playing with Sophie ;)