AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Casey Anthony speaks on baby sitter in deposition

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Casey Anthony maintains that a baby sitter her attorney acknowledged was fabricated at her 2011 murder trial is a real person.

Anthony, who has been in hiding since her trial, was questioned in a Jan. 23 deposition related to her ongoing bankruptcy proceedings. A transcript of the deposition was filed Tuesday in Orlando, Fla., federal court.

Anthony was acquitted in the murder of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. After Caylee disappeared in 2008, Anthony told investigators a baby sitter named Zenaida Gonzalez had kidnapped the toddler. The Kissimmee, Fla., woman sued Anthony, claiming her reputation has been ruined.

According to the transcript, Anthony told Gonzalez's attorneys she met the baby sitter at Universal Studios in 2006 and the women were friends for a little over a year. She said she left Caylee in her care on one occasion in 2006.

The baby sitter did not actually kidnap Caylee, nor did the woman suing for defamation, Anthony said. She declined to answer the attorneys' questions about why she had lied to investigators.

Anthony waited a month before reporting Caylee missing. The trial ended in her acquittal on the murder charge, but she was convicted on charges of lying to law enforcement.

During the contentious deposition, Anthony declined to answer many questions and she refused to answer all questions about her daughter. Gonzalez's attorneys plan to ask a judge to compel her to respond. A hearing on that motion is scheduled next week.

"Now, is there any way in the world that you could suggest to me that I might find this person to see if she ever existed?" Gonzalez's attorney Keith Mitnik asked Anthony.

Anthony replied, "I don't know if you could or not, sir."

During her murder trial, Anthony's attorney Jose Baez told jurors the baby sitter story was fabricated. During the deposition, Anthony's attorney Cheney Mason said she was not responsible for Baez's statements in court.

More From You

356 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
foosgram Saturday at 7:48 AM

Casey is the most evil "girl" walking around free, knowing what she did,killed her daughter. I followed that trial from beginning to end. If i could reach through the TV. I would have strangled her. That whole family has some serious issues, that should have been addressed a long time ago. Casey had no buisness having a baby!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
onestrongitalian February 27 2014 at 9:04 AM

baby killer

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
mbrheljr February 27 2014 at 7:50 AM

I don't mean to nitpick, but I find yet another media misspeak, in this article's title.

("Casey Anthony court deposition is released")

The correct description is DEPOSITION.

During both my pre-DA and post-DA-retirement civil practices, running off and on from 1978-2007, I did lots and lots of depositions in both state and federal court cases.

However, I don't recall doing a single deposition in ANY court, courtroom, or courthouse.

They were held either in the conference room of either attorney's office or were at the office of the court reporter that recorded what was said.

And, I suspect any other civil trial lawyer would echo my comments...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
SARGENT HOBBY February 27 2014 at 7:16 AM

AOL;
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME WITH THESE BLOGS, GET YOUR COUNTER FIXED. I HAVE VOTED SO MANY TIMES' ON YOUR TOY, AND IT WAS INCORRECT. IT'S ALMOST LIKE YOU WANT IT TO COUNT VOTES, AS YOU WANT YOUR OWN TOTAL. I JUST VOTED ON A BLOG THAT WAS ON ( 0 ), AND I VOTED THUMBS UP. AND IT CAME UP WITH A THUMBS DOWN.....ARE WE GOING BACK TO THE OLD ROMAN SYSTEM, WHERE THEY WERE OPPOSITE OF THE WAY THAT WE VOTE TODAY.
ALSO YOUR COMMITTEE THAT JUDGES WHAT STAYS AND WHAT GOES, NEED TO JOIN THE REAL WORLD. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
Connie February 27 2014 at 7:10 AM

I believe there are really evil people in this world with no feelings, no soul. Casey Anthony is one of these people. Just pure evil !!!!!!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
milwaukeemark65 February 27 2014 at 6:28 AM

I know it's wrong to hate someone. But, I really hate Casey Anthony. I hope she has to spend the rest of her life hiding. That is her punishment I guess.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
mamboq7 February 27 2014 at 6:14 AM

The jurors should be in jail.. for ignorance

Reply Flag as Abusive +7 rate up rate down
Tammy Figueroa February 27 2014 at 6:13 AM

We do not know for sure if she killed her daughter. Only her, little Caylee and God know. I know she is hiding something, but can not figure out what. I always felt it was an accident and she was too frightened to tell. Even if she did, God tell us not to judge, he will do that when the time comes.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to Tammy Figueroa's comment
Sheila February 27 2014 at 6:32 AM

God? Really? You believe too much fiction.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
me forever February 27 2014 at 4:06 AM

I hope to god that God is not the one who will judge her but her cute little daughter will be. She did it, we all know that I mean it is so obvious (she did not want to have a kid, she just wanted to party all the time) and she can party in jail because that is where she will be going when the truth comes out. She will tell someone that she killed her daughter because it will eventually take it's toll on her. Or if that doesn't send her to jail something else will and women in jail are not people who will take too kindly to a woman who murders her own beautiful daughter in cold blood.
We have to wait patiently!

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
1 reply to me forever's comment
ljds923 February 27 2014 at 6:36 AM

She can not be tried again for the same charges. That is double jeopardy. We all know she did it...She will have to answer for it one day....

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to ljds923's comment
Charlee February 27 2014 at 6:59 AM

She cannot be tried for the same crime ON THE SAME EVIDENCE. It is NOT double jeapardy if she were tried on DIFFERENT evidence.........

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
SARGENT HOBBY February 27 2014 at 7:31 AM

Since there was a mistake in the trial, by her own Lawer, maybe there should be cause for a new trial. You can't lie under oath. I can't believe that they could put together such a Dumb Bunch of idiot's on a Jury. They had enough on her, to convict her twice. This opening comments by her J.O. LAWER, was such a lie, that he not prove. ( I know that you can say anything in an opening ) does this prove that we have such a GREAT CRIMINAL SYSTEM. Our System is so broke, that it isn't fixable, the way it is set up at this time. I had more confidence in a Florida Jury, but they seem to be as stupid as Colorado and Iowa.

Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
brawkk February 27 2014 at 3:53 AM

My solution? Court ordered thruth serum.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
2 replies to brawkk's comment
Ray February 27 2014 at 6:17 AM

My solution? Court ordered execution.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
SARGENT HOBBY February 27 2014 at 7:58 AM

I would agree with you if this stuff worked, but it doesn't. The Judge sat there and heard the testimony, I would think that he would have the power to dismiss this jury as incompetent, and I think that he has that righ. Maybe it is JURY NULLIFICATION. This was a travesty, with no justice. Can you believe the two dumb idiot's that the Defense put on. They had to be the two dumbest Moran's ever as Expert Witnessesthat I have ever seen. The old man was on an ego trip, and made no sense at all, and the old woman EXPERT, was so stupid, someone had to lead her into the Court Room, i'm sure that both had to be lead in the Court Room, The man had no idea what he was talking about, and the woman was as bad or worse,if that was possible. They should have been dismissed as Expert's. It's so bad that the stupid JURY, let this beautiful baby's Killer walk. I hope that this live's with them until they die.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down