Is Muhammad Ali the most influential athlete of all time?

SC Centerpiece: "SportsCenter" debates Muhammad Ali's merits as the most influential athlete of all time on the 50th anniversary of Ali's (then Cassius Clay) bout with Sonny Liston.

Is Ali The Most Influential Athlete Ever?

maceandemma February 25 2014 at 11:45 PM

God, I hope not.

forests100 February 25 2014 at 8:37 PM

Prize fighters are by definition are absolutely not athelets!!! Boxing is not an athletic sport. He hit so hard and so often that his opponents went into shock, with brain damage. He is a pathetic thing today, from all of the heavy blows to his head. The best you could say was that he a victim of his own personal ego! WBhile other Afro-Americans chose to defie the US government and refused to serve in a an army of a government that were racists. Today he is unaale to articulate, walk without assistance and has done relatively little to further Afro-American courses

lawrencefishberg forests100 February 25 2014 at 8:45 PM

You are by definition, brainless, without an inch of sense....today, YOU are unable to rise above the racism that pollutes your one brain cell.

tarheelbestmj lawrencefishberg February 25 2014 at 8:51 PM

Your a complete *******. This man did everything he believed in. Willing to go to jail for his beliefs.

Flag 0 rate up
J T McCrary February 26 2014 at 12:08 AM

Ali was just a fun people loving person, He use to hangout on broad way in New York at a place called Lloyd Price's Turn Table, There he would give us a change to punch at his hands to see if you were fast enough to hit them, I never saw anyone who did, Then he would offer you the chance to try to hold your hands up and move it before he hit it, that always happen his punches were just that fast: I got to see and talk to him several times. Then occasionally he would visit another place that were owned by his main man Budini. whether he is the most influential athlete of all time I can't say, but I really liked him and his loud mouth and calling the round he was going to knockout his opponents. I didn't like the draft dodging thing but there are others who did the same or worse. I hate seeing him in the shape he's in today.

jalvusmatney J T McCrary February 26 2014 at 12:25 AM

I can never forgive him for dodging the draft. I and my cousins and brother had to serve during the Korean War. We did not want to go but we obeyed the law and served our country. Why should Ali be given a free ride. If he had not been the champ with rich friends and rich lawyers he would have gone to jail.

basicbutchalfred jalvusmatney February 26 2014 at 1:01 AM

First of all ali does not need your forgiveness, a lot peole are drones, he not only spoke up but also stood up for his beliefs, he didnt hide, or run to canada, he knew they would take his belt, he knew his fortune would lost, but he had the courage to fight the power, and in the in the us supreme court vendacated him.wake up

Flag +1 rate up
kenny.holland1 jalvusmatney February 26 2014 at 1:02 AM

U said your Counry

Flag 0 rate up
hsmith0304 February 26 2014 at 3:58 AM

I was 15 when Ali fought and " whupped " the " Big Ugly Bear " Sonny Liston,making me one of his most loyal fans since ! Not only was Ali a champ inside the ring,the way he carried himself outside of the ring,combating social injustice,has definately made him,a legend in his own time.

tonyusnret February 26 2014 at 4:57 AM

Without a doubt, i remember sitting on the stoop of a building on 148th street, in the Bronx, NY my God that was 50 years ago, shortly after that (November 18th) i enlisted in the Navy and left the Bronx, wow, I returned 34 years later, "GOD BLESS AMERICA, 4-EVER"

lawrencefishberg tonyusnret February 26 2014 at 6:28 AM

God bless Ali.

stan February 26 2014 at 5:03 AM

He is a draft coward.

gunnerman777 February 26 2014 at 6:41 AM

no..............just the big mouth...............

SNEDELTON February 25 2014 at 9:31 PM

It seems to me, many people don't understand Ali. Ali was strong, a great fighter and a braggart, and didn't fear anyone. Yes, he did brag, but that was nothing more than a part of his self-promoting. All champs tend to brag, so what? Also, I believe Ali has a very good heart. I saw him in person in 1971 or 72 when he had a lot of problems. I was with him in the barber shop, at the Americana hotel. Unfortunately, somehow, I didn’t recognize him and so I missed getting his autograph. What a blunder? He is a great guy, I loved his fights.

Steven Nedelton
www.snedelton.com

sevenv SNEDELTON February 25 2014 at 9:59 PM

Boxing has two parts Men of will ,contesting,...and money ......His bragging sold tickets....

marcbarc SNEDELTON February 25 2014 at 11:35 PM

How can you misunderstand a weak man like him, he ran from things most important. He is a coward.

JE WA ZA WI February 26 2014 at 6:44 AM

The Olympian James Thorpe . The athlete who was the ultimate in several athletic feats. Not just one .The one thing that stood out about Ali was his lack of respect for his opponents .His mouth was several seconds ahead of his brain .He was a great boxer,but I think Joe Lewis was superior to Ali .

rbelvin1 JE WA ZA WI February 26 2014 at 6:50 AM

Joe Louis

rogerzotti rbelvin1 February 26 2014 at 8:21 AM

I'll go along with that...Joe was great in and out of the ring. I'd rank Jckie Robinson even with him. I'm also sure there's probably someone, perhaps not overly famous as an athlete, who's up there, too...

Flag 0 rate up
WJ and Carol February 25 2014 at 9:16 PM

nope, Jckie Robinson

beaulieunicko WJ and Carol February 25 2014 at 9:44 PM

Jackie Robinson, Jackie Robinson, so sick of hearing that name when nobody talks about the people who brought him into the league. they should be heralded for taking that chance on him. yes it was very difficult for Jackie Robinson, more than we probably will ever be able to understand due to the situation he was put in. but lets not forget branch rickey.

lee_young4 beaulieunicko February 25 2014 at 10:18 PM

What position did Branch Rickey play?

Flag 0 rate up