PBS reporter Miles O'Brien recounts amputation

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien said Tuesday his left arm was amputated above the elbow after an apparently minor injury put his life in jeopardy.

In a blog post on his personal website Tuesday, which was verified by PBS, O'Brien recounted the Feb. 12 blow to his arm he suffered while on assignment in Asia and the medical emergency that followed.

He was diagnosed with "acute compartment syndrome," O'Brien said, in which blocked blood flow in an enclosed space in the body can cause life-threatening consequences.

Part of his arm was removed in a choice between "a life and a limb," O'Brien said, quoting his doctor. He is grateful to be alive, the PBS reporter said.

O'Brien has continued working despite the ordeal, PBS spokeswoman Anne Bell said.

The former CNN science and space correspondent covers science for "PBS NewsHour" and is a correspondent for public TV's documentary series "Frontline" and the National Science Foundation's Science Nation online magazine.

According to his blog, O'Brien was securing cases filled with camera gear on a cart as he wrapped up a reporting trip to Japan and the Philippines. One of the cases fell onto his left forearm, he wrote, adding, "It hurt, but I wasn't all `911' about it."

The arm was sore and swollen the next day but worsened on the next, Feb. 14, and he sought medical care. O'Brien did not detail where he was and PBS couldn't immediately provide the information.

At the hospital, as his pain increased and arm numbness set in, a doctor recommended an emergency procedure to relive the pressure within the limb, O'Brien wrote.

"When I lost blood pressure during the surgery due to the complications of compartment syndrome, the doctor made a real-time call and amputated my arm just above the elbow," O'Brien wrote.

He typed the blog post with one hand and help from speech recognition software, he noted, and ended it with dark humor.

"Life is all about playing the hand that is dealt you. Actually, I would love somebody to deal me another hand right about now - in more ways than one," O'Brien wrote.

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

northinsus February 26 2014 at 8:32 AM

God Bless You, Sir

bookquick February 26 2014 at 10:26 AM

best wishes!

timadiniro February 26 2014 at 10:44 AM

I wish Mr. O'Brien all the best and I hope he has the support of his family and friends. He needs it more than anything. My brother just had a below the knee amputated a week ago. No insurance and with no money - to get a prosthetic so can go back to living. Yes, things happen and we have to move forward, be thankful and grow,

delicious joey February 26 2014 at 4:47 AM

miles is a power of example for all of us.facing adversity with courage and dignity seems to be in short supply these days.best of luck to you miles.

paul4v44 February 26 2014 at 10:58 AM

You go, Miles.....to be able to keep your sense of humor after that says a lot about you.

rexminervastar February 26 2014 at 4:37 AM

I command this gentleman for kelling his chin up and keep on doing what he like to do..WAY TO GO, SIR!

Scotty February 26 2014 at 11:05 AM

I respect and admire this man. We should all handle the hand we are dealt in life as he does.

seidbet February 26 2014 at 11:06 AM

I have respected Miles O'Brien and his work since I began watching him on CNN some years back. He is knowledgable, expert, and professional in every way. My best wishes to you Miles O'Brien for a full recovery and continued successful and happy life.

aseawright6 February 26 2014 at 11:15 AM

So sorry you still are a blessing and look good

haqazi February 26 2014 at 11:43 AM

I am flabbergasted after reading this blog.Fasciotomies are done as an emergeny measures, after wards arm is elevated and observed for 24 hrs to reassess circulation. Compartment Syndrome does not cause hypotension (Low Blood Pressure),Sepsis ( fulminating infection) can cause hypotension ? There must be some other reason.
I always watched Mile O"Brien andSoledad O'brien on CNN. I was sad ,when they lost the spot.
I feel sorry for Mile and hope ,he is getting along fine.

World Series