How a 'Failed' Service Dog Inspired One Family

How A 'Failed' Service Dog Inspired One Family

An incredible story out of Colorado involves a black lab that was destined to help people -- but not in the way everyone first thought.

This is Pesto. When he was just a pup, he met Kimistry Howard and her two boys, Javary and Javae at a library in Aurora where they go every day. Doctors said Javary would never be able to walk due to a rare spinal disorder and Javae has autism. As a result, he doesn't speak.

After a year of spending time together at the library, Pesto was sent off for service training to become a guide dog. KUSA reports Pesto aced every exam he took, but when it came time to graduate, surprisingly he failed and went back to Aurora.

It's been two years since Pesto made it back to the library where the Kimistry and her boys still go every day. Now, when Javae reads, he does so out loud ... and Javary is actually walking.

Kimistry told KUSA she believes Pesto made a choice not to become a service dog in the end. "It's so beautiful they say he failed," she said. "What I'm convinced is Pesto made a choice."

johhoov February 26 2014 at 7:45 AM

That's really amazing story. It's just goes to show what dog can do to help children and adults. I'm a parapalegic andvI wish I dould get one (a helper dog) myself. I just need to find out how to do it.

mis3836 johhoov February 26 2014 at 8:16 AM

Johhhoov
do a search for service dogs in your area or nearby they should be able to help you. I just did a search and several came up. Hope it helps

Linda johhoov February 26 2014 at 9:57 AM

One national organization is Canine Partners. My friend has a service dog from this organization and they are great!

Say NO to libs! February 26 2014 at 6:44 PM

Dogs are so much smarter than they are given credit for. Just as my best buddy Jake when he FORCED his way into my life, Pesto is EXACTLY where he belongs.

wmccreery Say NO to libs! February 26 2014 at 7:25 PM

It's funny that with your name you sound more like a liberal than I would expect! Liberals support animal rights!

PetersonPugsRule February 26 2014 at 12:35 PM

Dogs are truly God's greatest creation......they are loving, loyal, non-judgmental, never selfish and they have given countless humans reasons to keep living...I should know....there have been many times in my life that if it weren't for the loving 4-legged "child" in my life, I would not be here. The world needs more loving dogs and a lot less of the so-called "Christian" people I know. Remember, "Dog" spelled backwards is "God".

keithcolquitt1 PetersonPugsRule February 26 2014 at 2:21 PM

I can appreciate your love for dogs and anyone's choice of what creature or material thing to value. However, the idea that dogs are "God's greatest creation" is ludicrous to most of us. I agree that lots of people who claim to be Christian don't exemplify Christ-like qualities. However, butt-sniffing, poop eating dogs are not an upgraded form of people. I like dogs myself but I realized that people are more valuable.

forensics41p February 26 2014 at 1:02 PM

Ah yes......God works in strange ways....I know this all too well. I've seen many of His works which had no explanation. This is definately one of them.

bltloos February 26 2014 at 1:03 PM

What a beautiful story. I really believe in the power of animals. We have a goden ret. who is a rescue and it amazing how understanding she is. It is unconditional love and she lets us kinow. She certainly knows what the word means. Just ask Irish if she wants love and she comes running with her baby, We found that she is attached to stuffed animals and still has the 1st one we gave her. Tell her to bring baby 1 or baby 2 or baby 3 and she knows the difference. Thanks for the wonderful story, Barbara (proud mother of Irish)

celienet February 26 2014 at 1:18 PM

Good dog!

Susan February 26 2014 at 1:38 PM

Dogs (and cats) make wonderful people - even better than some people.

Paula howard February 26 2014 at 2:40 PM

Beautiful story!

jrp1947 February 26 2014 at 2:55 PM

Dogs make choices and they know where they belong and where they can do the most good. he chose the boys and now he is doing what he was destined to do. they are now living for him and he is living for them.

Debi K February 26 2014 at 3:05 PM

Pesto rocks!!! To the family of Vern, my heart goes out to you. As far as the creep who blames you for his death, ignore him. Accidents happen, I'm sure it was not intentional that your dog broke free somehow and was wandering around enjoying his freedom . . . yes, we all should double insure the safety of our pets by making sure they cannot escape, but it does unfortunately happen from time-to-time. I guess the creep has never made a mistake in his life!!! His sanctimonious attitude allows his ignorance to show through . . . have a heart Mr. Perfection!!!

World Series