Facts about Coca-Cola you may not know

The Truth About Coca-Cola Every Coke Drinker Should Know

Here are some facts that Coca-Cola drinkers will want to know (and may potentially be freaked out by).

*America's favorite drink originally contained cocaine and was alcoholic. John Pemberton, the inventor of coke, was a pharmacist who invented many drugs. However, he never made any money in pharmaceuticals.

*The Coca-Cola brand is worth more than $74 billion dollars. That's more than Budweiser, Pepsi, Starbucks & Redbull combined!

*94 percent of the world's population recognizes Coca-Cola. It's the second most understood term in the world, behind "OK."

*The modern image of Santa was embedded in our culture by coke through years of advertising.

*Coca-Cola originally claimed that it had health benefits and medicinal properties because it contained cocaine. Cocaine was later removed in 1903 and substituted with caffeine as the primary stimulant.

*You may be allergic to Coke and not know it because they are not obligated by law to reveal its "secret ingredient." Coke's recipe is in the Sun Trust bank in Atlanta, Georgia. Only 2 executives have access to the vault.

*According to Warren Buffet, Coca-Cola has no taste memory. So just like water, you will never get sick of it.

*Coca-Cola also invented the 6 pack to encourage people to drink Coke more often.

Lonny March 01 2014 at 9:51 AM

Wow...my mind is blown. What do I do the rest of the day?

long51flip March 01 2014 at 1:15 PM

I don't know who writes this crap, but your headlines seem as if you are going to give us information and you never do. Your articles are always ridiculous and have very little to do with your headlines. This is the last articlef on AOL I will read.

fsupl5 long51flip March 01 2014 at 1:35 PM

Typical....get you to click on it so you can be sent spam....I expected to find out what I could be allergic to.

Genesis March 01 2014 at 1:18 PM

Ha, not true: I got sick of the taste of Coke when I was a teen. I just cannot even touch the stuff ever since, now 20+ years!

dickn2000b March 01 2014 at 1:19 PM

Another AOL useless, worthless non-informational video. WHAT is in Coke that some people might be allergic to? AND if Coke did contain an allergen that any significant percentage of the world's population were allergic to, it would not be the most popular soft drink in the world! Hey AOL...GET A LIFE!!..and hire some people with a bit more imagination and originality.

whitebright2 March 01 2014 at 1:20 PM

So what's in the Coke that people may be allergic to?? I thought the article was going to tell us. And how do they know, anyhow?? It's most likely the same ingredient or ingredients that are in Pepsi or any number of beverages. The amount of sugar in them is what people should be concerned about.

brhurdle March 01 2014 at 1:29 PM

Given the capabilities of modern scientific chemical analysis, it's hard to believe that it can't be determined what ingredients are in Coca Cola. In addition, I would also guess that other soft drink companies are aware what ingredients appeal to their customers and could care less what's in Coke. Just how do you manufacture a product worldwide and not have the "secret" revealed? Quite honestly, much of the taste sensation is psychological.

fsupl5 March 01 2014 at 1:30 PM

I got no viable information from this article....paid for by Pepsi...

Murfin March 01 2014 at 1:30 PM

I love Coke and feel like I'm adicted to it. I don't drink one every day but crave one daily. Wish there was a cola drink, that taste good but doesn't have so much sugar nor bad substitutes in them.

jwen477 Murfin March 01 2014 at 1:48 PM

Have you tried Zevia? It's from a company that says it is the "good for you" soda that uses no artificial ingredients or artificial sweeteners. Go to Zevia.com and you can even get a $1 off coupon for a 6-pak. I like the Zevia caffeine free cola with zero calories (in the light blue can). I always used to buy caffeine free diet Coke but just stick with Zevia now, and only drink it occasionally. My main beverage of choice now: filtered water! It's the best thing and much, much cheaper!

petesehria March 01 2014 at 1:40 PM

If it has an allergen known to the FDA it is required by law to be listed. There is no law requiring the listing of the recipe for any product just the ingredients (i.e. pretzels ingredient statement doesn't list lye that was poured over them during processing). All, ALL ingredients (even spices legally allowed to be omitted from the ingredient deck)their transportation and storage method must be open to inspection by the local board of health and FDA inspectors. Very few, but more than 2 people know the formula. You think two guys are really making millions of gallons of syrup everyday? And whatever Warren Buffet says must be the gospel truth?

tony petesehria March 01 2014 at 3:53 PM

The only way warren`s flappings are worth listening to is when he pays thou 100 million $$. Then thou will say they are worth listening too.

car nut March 01 2014 at 2:24 PM

My dad, brother, and kids loves coke, but it makes me feel like my mouth is dry and tacky, dr p does it for me. But for some reason, Pepsi gives me a headache, and to this day, I haven't figured out why. Coke also makes my stomach churn like a lot of foaming going on. Either way, Coke is a great brand and lots of people love it!