Company behind 'The Good Wife' set puts employees first

Furniture Company Behind 'The Good Wife' Set Puts Employees First

A partnership that started 25 years ago forged the path for a successful furniture business - so successful, in fact, that their work is featured in almost every scene of a popular television show.

'When the stars of the smash CBS TV series "The Good Wife" settle into their seats on set, it's Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams they've cozied into," "CBS This Morning" reported.

Gold and Williams are so good that the set designer of "The Good Wife" teamed up with them to create this collection of furniture for the set.

The pieces certainly aren't cheap. This design, "Grace's Chair," runs for $975.

The pair told "CBS This Morning" they believe in doing the right thing for their employees.

In an interview with Style at Home, they said they wanted to "see smiling faces at work," so they saved up to install air conditioning in their factory a year after it opened.

This might not sound unusual, but "CBS This Morning" reports that in 1990, the North Carolina furniture company was the first in its area to provide a little cool relief to its employees.

Now, employee perks include an on-site cafe, workout facility and daycare.

Gold and Williams' efforts to create a happy work environment haven't gone unnoticed.

Earlier this month, the duo posted on Facebook about their 25th Anniversary celebration, and the comments that poured in were heartwarming.

If you're a superfan of "The Good Wife," you can buy the set's furniture and feel good about it, too.

hattrus March 02 2014 at 10:00 PM

Wish more companies followed their example.

cact25 hattrus March 02 2014 at 11:58 PM

Greed gets in the way.

Peg or Carl March 02 2014 at 2:58 PM

I worked with Mitchell Gold many years ago, before he opened his own company. He was one of the best people I have ever worked for, never failed to say thanks and treat you like a person. I am so happy for his success. Love seeing his sign on Rt 40 near his store.

larry March 02 2014 at 5:22 PM

Nice furniture but over priced.

cact25 larry March 03 2014 at 12:03 AM

Cheap furniture is just that - CHEAP. You get what you pay for.

jckelse March 02 2014 at 11:36 AM

Another PLUS for the furniture company, Gold and Williams, it is made in the United States. There is another U.S. furniture company: Lee Furniture, also in North Carolina. It is sold in one of our local general household merchandise stores at our local Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, VA. They only have a few items, but a really nice color catelog. The prices are reasonable.

kcarthey jckelse March 02 2014 at 12:14 PM

Gay owned with on site management as well.

Kate March 02 2014 at 11:25 AM

I'm glad to hear of an N.C. furniture company that's doing well! I wish N.C. was still famous for it's textiles, too, but perhaps some day there will be a revival of that industry there.

Anne Boleyns Crown March 02 2014 at 9:55 AM

If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you. Simple as that. No one wants to lose a good job and will work harder to keep one. If your company has high turnover, don't look to complain about "good workers" look to the boss first.

Kate Anne Boleyns Crown March 02 2014 at 11:26 AM

I entirely agree. I've been job hunting for a while now, and there are some companies I don't even WANT to apply with-- they have ads running so often it's a real red flag.

Anne Boleyns Crown Kate March 02 2014 at 3:36 PM

I feel your pain. Lost my job of 11 years last April and I just now found a great job with a really good company. Worked two small jobs in between, one was clearly a misleading job description and I couldn't do the job the second was a job doing what I had dreamed of, but the owner was a nut. My first clue should have been it was such a good job BUT she couldn't keep help and she made it sound like all her previous workers were awful people who let her down. I wasn't horribly upset when she let me go a couple of weeks later. Good riddance.

Flag +1 rate up
Thomas Kate March 02 2014 at 4:19 PM

I bet if we get rid of the ridiculous 99 weeks of unemployment, you'd get a job. Unfortunately, the liar-in-chief wants to keep everyone as a slave of the government. Get a job! Any job! And stop ******* at the teat of Uncle Sugar.

Flag +1 rate up
oledivad March 02 2014 at 9:17 AM

Chairs are VERY expensive! I spent $375.00 apiece on two beautiful chairs twenty years ago...... They still look brand new.

Kate oledivad March 02 2014 at 11:30 AM

Yes, they certainly can be. My son is a furniture designer and salesman, and he has told me of some chairs at his company that are about the price of a mid-range sofa.

njenel March 02 2014 at 9:11 AM

for every good company, there's 10,000 bad ones.

dickn2000b njenel March 02 2014 at 2:44 PM

And for every good comment there are 10,000 dumb ones.

Sherrie Dobbie March 02 2014 at 8:44 PM

So nice to hear famous designers stepped up in behalf of their employees who make the stuff that makes them look good and lines their pockets. I enjoy reading that people who work hard are treated right. Rock on, boys, rock on.

cd_hunt March 02 2014 at 8:47 PM

that is so cool great company

World Series