10 Things to Know for Today

It's hard to keep up with all the news, so to make it all a little more digestible, here's a snapshot of late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.

Join in the conversation:

auquasea February 25 2014 at 10:25 AM

Just a hint to the headline writer...Californians DO NOT call it "Cali".

pattismitha February 25 2014 at 9:37 AM

This is strange as I had the same thing happen to me in my hometown of Grants Pass, OR when I was 9 or 10. I was temporarily paralyzed in both legs. I am 72 now. The doctor paid a housecall (yes, we had them back then!), we waited for a couple of days as I recovered from an undisclosed diagnosis. I live in VA now and have never experienced another episode.

The Cintron Family pattismitha February 25 2014 at 10:06 AM

That happened to me too, around the same age. No one ever could diagnose what it was, and it never happened again. Interesting...

astralcataleptic pattismitha February 25 2014 at 10:49 AM

pattismitha, Interesting. I am from Virginia and this also happened to my brother as a boy. The doctors said, he had cramps. He too now is 72 years old.

PamieJune February 25 2014 at 11:47 AM

*Sob* - that's it - I'm out of here - "challege for Sochi"... I can't take it anymore...

jotrevgrntx February 25 2014 at 10:29 AM

Guillain - Barre. Take a few minutes and research it.

Lisa February 25 2014 at 11:14 AM

I hope they're looking at mold as a cause. Hidden mold is likely the cause of many unsolved autoimmune illnesses. It is the cause of chronic sinusitis. Search an autoimmune disorder and add the word mold to the search......

keneelou Lisa February 25 2014 at 11:28 AM

I agree with your assessment. I was consistently ill with sinusitis, whooping cough and even a flare up of arthritis while working in a building with a waterfall. Once the waterfall was removed, all symptoms either disappeared or in the case of arthritis...under control.

hellyon3too Lisa February 25 2014 at 12:28 PM

It's not a mold, it's a virus. They've already identified it as enterovirus 68. They just can's say that's what it is because some of the patients were already past the point of being able to test for it.

duncmcdougall hellyon3too February 25 2014 at 1:05 PM

Only two children tested positive for Enterovirus 68 which is linked to upper respiratory infections only. Enterovirus 71 is the one linked to upper respiratory infections and paralysis. Causing officials to look into possible connection. There has been no clear cause identified at this time.

Flag 0 rate up
Vicki February 25 2014 at 10:51 AM

I am now and have been a US citizen since birth. Some of the comments a few people have made on here concerning this topic really need to grow-up and act like adults not children. Some diseases like Polio are due to an extremely high fever or other MEDICAL ISSUES. The child may be now or have experienced in the in the past.

C L Burrell Vicki February 25 2014 at 11:12 AM

Don't be so quick to act like a know-it-all.
Unless you can PROVE what is causing these illness's don't be so quick to condem.
My only son became sick and was hospitalized for 69 days the week he became 20 years old.
He will be 50 in May and still can't work. The medical profession THINKS he has Guillian Barre Syndrome.
After all these years the only thing they can do for him is to give him pain killers.
I have taken him to a lot of Dr.'s and to Emory Hospital in Atlanta for test three times, to no avail.

Anuksmoon Vicki February 25 2014 at 11:33 AM

Excuse me Vicki, but polio is NOT due to an extremely high fever or other medical issues. My cousin had polio as a child and is now having issues again in her 60's. I don't know where you got that information, but it's incorrect.

Fran February 25 2014 at 9:17 AM

its sort of funny my grandmother who went to school but yet dosent seem very smart always claimed she had polio when she was little but that she "got over it" because she had no choice. now i know what she says is a lie but if it was a virus in the 1920s they might very well have thought it was polio.

Scotty February 25 2014 at 9:14 AM

A United States Congressman in office for over a half century....This is what's wrong with our government....8 year term limits for all will remove the 300 crooked elected officials that had years to refine how they can screw the American public.

chappy3695 Scotty February 25 2014 at 10:26 AM

The whole world is crooked these days. We have to take control of our own lives. Plant our own gardens and be careful who we vote for on every level. If they are politicians, they lie, plain and simple. Term limits of a Congressman is just one little part of it. It's all about smoke and mirrors and distracting the masses from what is really wrong. If you look at entertainment of any source, it's only allowed to go down or BE because of corporate greed. How many wonderful, talented artists have been ruined when they were stuck in the 'MACHINE'. Watch you back, watch your money, watch what you eat, exercise daily, don't smoke, love the ones closest to you, and be lovable, plant your own garden and eat it. Don't stay on the internet all day & shut off the cell phones for some peace and quiet. You can always call them back later. If it's an emergency they can always call 911. Meditate, don't medicate. Peace and love to all who read this.

PamieJune February 25 2014 at 11:46 AM

What?!? Again?!? AUUUUGGGHHH!!! "calling it quites"?!? I'm weeping here...

gwyfirefly February 25 2014 at 9:43 AM

First off, There was Polio and some kids had a mild case and got over it. Most kids and some adults were not so lucky. People always got their kids vaccinated for everything. Then we started letting people skip due to their personal opinions. The people who had Polio then started having problems like they did when they had Polio and it was found to be Post Polio Syndrome. My Cousin was one of them. We are now seeing an increase of childhood diseases return due to a lack of people having their kids vaccinated. I understand people have their opinions but don't be surprised when kids get sick and spread it to other kids. We have superbugs that are next to impossible to treat. I truly beleive that this could be a new and stronger form of Polio and if it is, then God help us. The kids will suffer and once again we will have to work hard to prevent kids from a life of wheelchairs, cruthes and braces. For those who are too young to know this, google this and read up on what happened. See the pictures of the Polio wards. It wasn't good. Sister Kenny had a new treatment for Polio back in the day and it saved many kids and adults from a life in a wheelchair.

buffalogal gwyfirefly February 25 2014 at 10:23 AM

Yes. Kenny packs were used on the extremities to increase blood flow. My mother was in nursing school and was a new RN when the polio outbreaks hit. She used the packs and took care of children in iron lungs in a pediatric hospital in Buffalo. Then came the Salk vaccine and almost all children were vaccinated-in schools via the Public Health Department or in the pediatricians' offices. Very terrifying time.

weikamis gwyfirefly February 25 2014 at 10:34 AM

gwyfirefly, interesting ......... I remember the day when all of the kids at school were suppose to get the polio shot and I stayed home from school that day and managed to slip through the cracks! That was more than 50 years ago and I did not get polio???
There is no doubt in my mind that all these diseases that are making a "comeback" are due to open arms of stupid liberals and dems that are so anxious to open the flood gates to all of those from other countries that live in very bad health conditions. Just the drinking water alone in many of these countries continue to be a threat! You should do more research and get out of the house more...... I have been all over the world and have seen much of what the USA is opening itself up to these days!

eltrip weikamis February 25 2014 at 12:21 PM

Thank your friends for protecting you due to their conscientious parents...

Flag 0 rate up