Polio-like illness baffles doctors in California

Polio-Like Illness Baffles Doctors In California

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A small number of children in California have been afflicted with polio-like illnesses that led to paralysis in one or more limbs.

The Los Angeles Times reports that state health officials have been investigating the illness since a doctor requested polio testing for a child with severe paralysis in 2012. Since then, similar cases have sporadically been reported throughout the state.

The afflicted children rapidly suffered weakness or paralysis, sometimes after a mild respiratory illness.

Dr. Carol Glaser, leader of a California Department of Public Health team investigating the illnesses, says a virus may play a role.

She wouldn't provide the number of illnesses, but urged doctors to report new cases of acute paralysis so that investigators can try to figure out a possible cause.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A polio-like illness has afflicted a small number of children in California since 2012, causing severe weakness or rapid paralysis in one or more limbs.

The Los Angeles Times reports (http://lat.ms/1hnnsyd) that state public health officials have been investigating the illness since a doctor requested polio testing for a child with severe paralysis in 2012. Since then, similar cases have sporadically been reported throughout the state.

Dr. Carol Glaser, leader of a California Department of Public Health team investigating the illnesses, called the doctor's request "concerning" because polio has been eradicated in the U.S. and the child had not traveled overseas.

The symptoms sometimes occur after a mild respiratory illness. Glaser said a virus that is usually associated with respiratory illness but which has also been linked to polio-like illnesses was detected in two of the patients.

Dr. Keith Van Haren, a pediatric neurologist at Stanford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital who has worked with Glaser's team, will present the cases of five of the children at the American Academy of Neurology's upcoming annual meeting.

He said all five patients had paralysis in one or more arms or legs that reached its full severity within two days. None had recovered limb function after six months.

"We know definitively that it isn't polio," Van Haren added, noting that all had been vaccinated against that disease.

Glaser wouldn't provide the number of illnesses. Van Haren said he was aware of around 20.

She urged doctors to report new cases of acute paralysis so that investigators can try to figure out a possible cause.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/health/20140224_ap_c73ae8c6624043b1a02f3a19b581fc05.html#dEXIcSiaLiG0ouoL.99

pwil909341 February 24 2014 at 1:14 PM

When I was Three years old I was paralysis on my left leg. I wasn't able to walk on my left leg till I was 7 years old. It just went away. I thought I was the only kid that had such a thing happen to. At the time they didn't know what was wrong with me.

James England February 24 2014 at 9:10 PM

I have Post Polio Syndrome I just wonder if this could affect me I'm 64 and live in Texas

proudpawof4 James England February 24 2014 at 9:22 PM

What symptoms do you have? I had polio as a child and sometimes believe the damage is getting worse. A reply will be appreciated.

Nancy February 24 2014 at 5:39 PM

Scary. I had polio in 1947 and wouldn't wish this on anyone as when a polio survivor gets older it can turn into Post Polio Syndrome. You get weaker with age and less able to function. I hope it is not contageous.

Recie February 25 2014 at 6:07 AM

Last week's report about a birth defect that is surfacing in Yakima, Washington where infants are being born missing part of their brain and/or skull and now this polio-like condition appearing after a respirtory illness makes me wonder if we should consider the radiation blowing our way from Japan's tsunami a few years ago. I remember reading about debris that was floating toward California and the sealife that was changing or dying since that tragedy. Any thoughts that this may be an avenue to investigate?

Donny Recie February 25 2014 at 6:13 AM

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

my94blazer7 Recie February 25 2014 at 11:31 AM

No one is going to investigate this because it would be a Catastrophic event. There is no way to evacuate a states coast. Google " fukushima radiation flow " 99% of the people just watch TV and believe everything is normal and only believe what the news tells them.(Who owns most of the media?) More people should shut there TV off and see what is really going on in this country. Most sheeple will just comment about what i just wrote and say to get back on my medication. No problem,wait and see in the coming years. move along,Nothing to see here,move along...

surghucjls February 24 2014 at 2:38 PM

How long have GMO's been put into our Food/Crops and ect, Chemicals in our Water ?

brisedemer February 25 2014 at 3:04 PM

The doctors who are handling these cases need to take a look at the possibility that this is Transverse Myelitis. My daughter developed TM at age 10 and the symptoms are very similar to Polio. She became paralyzed from the waist-down. Unless a neurologist has seen this before, Transverse Myelitis is usually misdiagnosed, if it is diagnosed at all. It happens when the autoimmune system is weakened and a virus invades and attacks the myelin in the spine. TM is often confused with Epstein Barre or Guillame-Barre. Sorry if my spelling is incorrect. If the symptoms these children are developing are not Transverse Myelitis, it's a good imitation. It's worth taking a look at.

zuzy@taconic.net February 25 2014 at 5:49 AM

Maybe you should check for any GMO foods ingested,seems as though lately,younger & younger species,whether human or animal is coming out with new side effects such as strange diseases, malformations all slowly leaning to GMOs--it's poison people & mark my words act now before you wait too long for "Proof" like they did with cigarettes,just label it!

Nina February 25 2014 at 4:29 AM

It is premature if not myopic to presume any disease has been eradicated from anywhere. A virus has an uncanny ability to change its structure. Millions in third world countries have never received vaccinations at all. In the U.S. 'modern' parents are refusing to have their children vaccinated for all sorts of reasons.
The World Health Organization brazenly claims that 'the smallpox virus has been eradicated' from the planet. So now there is no smallpox vaccine readily available for an extremely large population who have not been vaccinated for smallpox!
Eradicated from the planet? Doubtful. What about those cultures we don't even know exist?
Maybe they're carrying measles, mumps, whooping cougs, smallpox. Hopefully not, but it WOULD be helpful if we had the vaccine!

jackfish28 February 24 2014 at 2:49 PM

Check gram negative bacteria. I had cases like this in Gulfport, Mississippi. After exposure ended symptoms resolved

brisedemer February 24 2014 at 5:13 PM

It's not polio. Transverse Myelitis needs to be looked at. It left my daughter partially paralyzed when she was ten years old. It's similar to classic polio symptoms. Basically, a virus infects the myelin in the spinal cord. The result can be mild paralysis that eventually gets better, or it can result in death. There is no known cause and know way to know how much damage it will cause. Most doctors misdiagnose this illness unless they have seen it before. It's imperative to treat it with steroids as soon as symptoms start ( at least, that's what the doctors told us. ) A lesion showed up in her MRI and an enzyme in her spinal tap that confirmed TM. This may not be what is causing the illness in the California children, but I think it's worth examining.

hellyon3too brisedemer February 24 2014 at 6:53 PM

Transverse Myelitis isn't a disease. It's a condition that can be the result of a disease or injury.

happy2bgridfree hellyon3too February 24 2014 at 9:41 PM

Disease / disorder : Potatoes / Po-TAH-toes. I lived through it ( and continue to do so ) through my daughter, so I don't need you to tell me what it is or what the "condition" is a result of. Neurologists have explained that it is likely caused by a VIRUS that attacks the myelin and wreaks havoc with the autoimmune system. It is closely related to MS, though it presents with the same symptoms as Polio. Thanks for your input.

Flag +1 rate up
happy2bgridfree hellyon3too February 24 2014 at 9:44 PM

And yeah, happy2bgridfree and Brisedemer are both my accounts, so spare me the inevitable "trolling" response.

Flag 0 rate up